Old 09-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Rick Pasotto

Default video card reccomendation

I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the regular
bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the openchrome
driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play games, so it's
mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.

What would be the least expensive card for my needs?

--
"When fate hands us a lemon, let's try to make lemonade." -- Dale Carnegie
Rick Pasotto rick@niof.net http://www.niof.net

Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Carlos Bergero

Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Angus Hedger

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:51:20 -0400
Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:

> I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the regular
> bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the openchrome
> driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play games, so it's
> mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.
>
> What would be the least expensive card for my needs?

Well, if you dont want to play games, your choices are, ATI OSS
drivers, nVidia OSS drivers, nVidia binary blob driver.

You can get pretty much any ATI gpu and get everything bar 3D from the
OSS driver, see here [1], here are a few cards that would be fine
[2]-[5]

If you want video decoding in the GPU, you only real option is a nVidia
card with the binary blob (Its iffy on the ATI binary and the OSS
drivers have no support or its iffy) though the only AGP nVidia card i
could find new is this [6] and it will have limited hardware decoding
support due to its older nature.

The number of AGP cards is quite limited, but the HD3xxx or HD4xxx
or a nVidia 6200 should all do the job, do note that hardware
accelerated video only works on the binary drivers at the moment, and
the ATI binary driver can be very buggy at times.

But if you can live without video acceleration, one of the ATI grathics
cards with the OSS Radeon driver will give you a very nice 2D
experiance with KMS etc!

Sorry for the long post!

[1]http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
[2]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102862
[3]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102814
[4]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-183-XF&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1842
[5]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161318
[6]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125249
------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:51:20 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the regular
> bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the openchrome
> driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play games, so it's
> mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.

Tell us a bit more about the current VGA chipset in use. Maybe getting
the high resolution is just a matter of tweaking the xorg configuration
file properly.

> What would be the least expensive card for my needs?

I would expect any semi-modern AGP card (ati, nvidia or matrox) could
handle that resolution. Just choose one you like and put the name here to
get further advice :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Angus Hedger

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 05:37:34 -0400
Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Sun September 26 2010, Angus Hedger wrote:
> > Sorry for the long post!
>
> wow, if I was looking for a card, that would be exactly the info I
> would want, no less!!
> great post!

One trys ones best, thanks!

> I have DELL desktops that all have NVIDIA cards.. messy to configure
> correctly, especially after a kernel update, but they do work.

The nVidia binary driver is generally easy to use and it keeps
pace with kernel and xorg versions compared to the ATI blob, now
that’s a nightmare!

The only problem with FOSS drivers, is that half of the required bits
are in the kernel, and half in userspace, so if you build your own
kernels, you might end up needed to rebuild your graphics driver as
well!

But if you stick to stock kernels, and dont need high performance 3D,
the OSS drivers give the nicest experience, with KMS, high resolution
VT's as standard and smooth 2D etc.

------

Old 09-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> schrieb:
> I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the regular
> bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the openchrome
> driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play games, so it's
> mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.

Don't buy Nvidia. They're totally reluctant against OSS, and their
binary-only drivers are simply crap (dont want to flame on their
bad coding practises here ;-o).

Those companies IMHO don't deserve a single penny.

cu

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666

Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 AM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:46:38 +0200
Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> * Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> schrieb:
> > I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the
> > regular bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the
> > openchrome driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play
> > games, so it's mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.
>
> Don't buy Nvidia. They're totally reluctant against OSS, and their
> binary-only drivers are simply crap (dont want to flame on their
> bad coding practises here ;-o).
>
> Those companies IMHO don't deserve a single penny.

I quite agree. So maybe a good question is: who makes a video card
that supports _decent_ 3D performance that has open source drivers ?

Because AFAIK, no one does.

It's quite irritating and extends to lots of hardware.

Brian

Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Andrew Reid

On Sunday 26 September 2010 10:46:38 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> schrieb:
> > I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the regular
> > bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the openchrome
> > driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play games, so it's
> > mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.
>
> Don't buy Nvidia. They're totally reluctant against OSS, and their
> binary-only drivers are simply crap (dont want to flame on their
> bad coding practises here ;-o).
>
> Those companies IMHO don't deserve a single penny.

I agree that nVidia's attitude towards open source is a problem.

However, my experience with their binary drivers has been quite
good. They're reasonably easy to install, and seem to perform
quite well for me. In particular, they have one of the best
distribution-agnostic binary-blob installers I've ever run across.

As a Debian user, when I do have to resort to binary/proprietary
software, having it only available as RPMs just adds salt to the
wound. (Don't get me started about the older Intel C/C++ compiler
installers...)

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <20100926182947.30489bde@windy.deldotd.com>, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:46:38 +0200
>Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
>> * Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> schrieb:
>> > I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the
>> > regular bus.
>>
>> Don't buy Nvidia. They're totally reluctant against OSS.
>>
>> Those companies IMHO don't deserve a single penny.
>
>I quite agree. So maybe a good question is: who makes a video card
>that supports _decent_ 3D performance that has open source drivers ?

ATI Radeon HD 4670 is the current king of 3D performance with an Free Software
X11 driver. Or, it was last time I checked http://free3d.org/.

Since ATI was acquired by AMD, they have made great strides in the quality of
the Free Software drivers. I've not yet owned one (stuck with my Nividious
7800 GTXs), though.

I have seen the ATI Radeon Mobility 4650 in action and the hardware performs
the games I like to play (StarCraft II) quite well. The 4670 is fairly cheap
right now if you can find one.

I also have good hopes for the 5xxx line, as the AMD engineers are already
working with the X.org contributors.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 AM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:40:48 -0400
Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 26 September 2010 10:46:38 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > * Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> schrieb:
> > > I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the
> > > regular bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the
> > > openchrome driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play
> > > games, so it's mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.
> >
> > Don't buy Nvidia. They're totally reluctant against OSS, and their
> > binary-only drivers are simply crap (dont want to flame on their
> > bad coding practises here ;-o).
> >
> > Those companies IMHO don't deserve a single penny.
>
> I agree that nVidia's attitude towards open source is a problem.
>
> However, my experience with their binary drivers has been quite
> good. They're reasonably easy to install, and seem to perform
> quite well for me. In particular, they have one of the best
> distribution-agnostic binary-blob installers I've ever run across.

I'll have to second that. I'm running two different machines, running
two different nvidia cards, and things have been quite stable.

Don't have to like it, but credit where credit is due.

Brian