Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Comments on proposed partitioning scheme (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/431718-comments-proposed-partitioning-scheme.html)

Charles Turner 09-25-2010 09:05 PM

Comments on proposed partitioning scheme
 
I'm a new GNU/Linux user. I've recently received a desktop with lots
of disk space and I've been thinking about how to use it effectively.
It will contain lots of multimedia files, and later I want to set up
mail & web servers on it, primarily for edification rather than
production, so these are my "constraints" while I planned the scheme.
Any comments on whether I'll regret doing the following would be
appreciated since I'm led to believe that the encryption phase of big
disks can take a very long time if you do it properly (so I'd rather
minimise passes due to stupidity :p).

I have two 80GB disks, which will hold my "system" files.
I have two 500GB disks which will be my home drive.

I plan to mirror both sets of disks using RAID1.

My mirrored 80GB disks will contain the following, the format of my
examples is mount_point (size) [options]
/boot (1 GB) [unencrypted, RAID1]
/ (5 GB) [encrypted, RAID1]
/var (20 GB) [encrypted, RAID1]
/tmp (500 MB) [encrypted, RAID1]
/usr (rest of space) [encrypted, RAID1]
swap (4 GB) [encrypted] (I have 4 GB of RAM)

My mirrored 500GB with contain the following,
/home (500GB) [encrypted, RAID1]

Do you think this is a silly/decent scheme? Am I being naive about
anything? Your comments much appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time,

--
Charlie Turner

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTik9PGwLte4CKyXvTGDjmcV95UMj3qzFbY=hHh5i@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTik9PGwLte4CKyXvTGDjmcV95UMj3qzFbY=hHh5i@mail .gmail.com

Aniruddha 09-25-2010 09:29 PM

Comments on proposed partitioning scheme
 
Here's my opinion:

* I wouldn't use raid for a desktop system but a backup program such
as rsnapshot. You can mirror each disk this way, the main advantage is
that when you throw something away by accident it is still there in
your backup while with raid you would have lost it. Raid (and lvm)
can make disaster recovery more difficult
* I think encryption is not well suited for a desktop system, unless
you have some special need for it (e.g. laptop). It creates extra
overhead, meaning it is a lot slower then a normal file system + it
makes disaster recovery more difficult.
* Furthermore I prefer a simple partion scheme: mine is:

/dev/sda1 swap 1 GB
/dev/sda2 / 100 GB
/dev/sda3 /home 889 GB


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTimjDx-emxNVOxvueaMAb2X0sEazBuGrcSSrYrjm@mail.gmail.com"> http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTimjDx-emxNVOxvueaMAb2X0sEazBuGrcSSrYrjm@mail.gmail.com

Angus Hedger 09-25-2010 09:47 PM

Comments on proposed partitioning scheme
 
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:05:50 +0100
Charles Turner <lookatmymanbreasts@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two 80GB disks, which will hold my "system" files.
> I have two 500GB disks which will be my home drive.
>
> I plan to mirror both sets of disks using RAID1.
>
> My mirrored 80GB disks will contain the following, the format of my
> examples is mount_point (size) [options]
> /boot (1 GB) [unencrypted, RAID1]

Only really needs to be about 100MB, 300meg if you need room for loads
of kernels (I have the stock debian one and a custom built one and
my /boot is only 30.9MB)

> / (5 GB) [encrypted, RAID1]
> /var (20 GB) [encrypted, RAID1]
> /tmp (500 MB) [encrypted, RAID1]
> /usr (rest of space) [encrypted, RAID1]
> swap (4 GB) [encrypted] (I have 4 GB of RAM)
>
> My mirrored 500GB with contain the following,
> /home (500GB) [encrypted, RAID1]
>
> Do you think this is a silly/decent scheme? Am I being naive about
> anything? Your comments much appreciated.

If you want such a complex set-up, try using LVM [1].

Myself, I would just have

80gig hdd's in raid 1

/boot 500meg
/ Rest

500gig HDD's

/home

> Thanks a lot for your time,
>

[1]http://wiki.debian.org/LVM

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Celejar 09-26-2010 07:02 PM

Comments on proposed partitioning scheme
 
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:29:28 +0200
Aniruddha <mailingdotlist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's my opinion:

...

> * I think encryption is not well suited for a desktop system, unless
> you have some special need for it (e.g. laptop). It creates extra
> overhead, meaning it is a lot slower then a normal file system + it
> makes disaster recovery more difficult.

I'm not sure that an encrypted filesystem is really "a lot slower than
a normal file system" on modern HW. Do you have benchmarks or
references?

Celejar
--
foffl.sourceforge.net - Feeds OFFLine, an offline RSS/Atom aggregator
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100926150245.09629378.celejar@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/20100926150245.09629378.celejar@gmail.com

"tv.debian@googlemail.com" 09-26-2010 08:16 PM

Comments on proposed partitioning scheme
 
>Le 26/09/2010 21:02, Celejar wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:29:28 +0200
>> Aniruddha <mailingdotlist@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Here's my opinion:
>>
>> ...
>>
>> * I think encryption is not well suited for a desktop system, unless
>> you have some special need for it (e.g. laptop). It creates extra
>> overhead, meaning it is a lot slower then a normal file system + it
>> makes disaster recovery more difficult.
>>
> I'm not sure that an encrypted filesystem is really "a lot slower than
> a normal file system" on modern HW. Do you have benchmarks or
> references?
>
> Celejar


Phoronix.com has some tests on a low specs Eee and a high end ThinkPad
W510 :

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_atom_disk&num=1

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_maverick_encrypt ion&num=1



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4C9FAA0E.4070703@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C9FAA0E.4070703@googlemail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.