Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Paul E Condon

Default AMD 'cool & quiet' stopped working in squeeze (and lenny?)

I have a made for pieces computer. One of the pieces is an Asus
M2V motherboard containing an AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+

I have been running Squeeze and updating occasionally. I updated
yesterday (or perhaps day before) and there was a new kernel version,
so, of course, I rebooted. Now the fan always runs at full speed.
Before it would run a few seconds at full speed and then slow down
to a much more acceptable gentle whine. I think this has to do with
AMD "Cool and Quiet" technology, but all the hits that I get in
Google are really old and don't help me. (The only kernels mentioned
are in the K7/8 sequence which has ceased to exist, so far as I can
tell)

I think I need to tweek something that is already installed, but I
have no idea what its name is, and I have already done enough mucking
about (tried to revert to Lenny) so that I probably need to do a clean
re-install. But what Debian packages relate to AMD Cool and Quiet?
What should I make sure to install? What programs do I run to adjust/
enable Cool and Quiet? And what is the cute Linux community name for
this stuff?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 09-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Aniruddha

I have found some information at the link below. Apparently only
mobile processors are supported. You could try:

modprobe processor
modprobe powernowd-k8

http://technowizah.com/2007/01/debian-how-to-cpu-frequency-management.html

Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Paul E Condon

On 20100925_233536, Aniruddha wrote:
> I have found some information at the link below. Apparently only
> mobile processors are supported. You could try:
>
> modprobe processor
> modprobe powernowd-k8
>

> http://technowizah.com/2007/01/debian-how-to-cpu-frequency-management.html

Thanks, but ...

The how-to is just the sort of thing I was asking for. What to
modprobe, etc. The discussion there agrees with you that only the
mobile processors are supported. But the fan on my mo-bo would start
fast and slow down during boot up. It did this for several years ---
until about 150 hours ago. Now it keeps going fast. Something
changed. Was there a 'bug' in the software that allowed it to control
the fan even though the manufacturer specified that it wouldn't? And
that 'bug' has been 'fixed'? A mighty strange bug.

Even now there is a slight hesitation in the fan speed at the moment
during boot-up when it used to slow. But then it regains speed.

When I try to install the modules using modprobe, there is an error
message that asserts that they are not found. But the .ko files are
there on disk and are listed by modprobe -l. So I would count the
detailed wording of the error message as a bug. It is seriously
misleading to claim a reason for failure to load that is easily found
to be false. 'incompatible with CPU hardware' might be better words,
if in fact there really is an incompatiblity.

I hope there is a recovery fix for my computer, but I think I'll
have to learn to live with the noise.

Thanks,
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 18:58 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100925_233536, Aniruddha wrote:
> > I have found some information at the link below. Apparently only
> > mobile processors are supported. You could try:
> >
> > modprobe processor
> > modprobe powernowd-k8
> >

> > http://technowizah.com/2007/01/debian-how-to-cpu-frequency-management.html
> >

> Thanks, but ...
>
> The how-to is just the sort of thing I was asking for. What to
> modprobe, etc. The discussion there agrees with you that only the
> mobile processors are supported. But the fan on my mo-bo would start
> fast and slow down during boot up. It did this for several years ---
> until about 150 hours ago. Now it keeps going fast. Something
> changed. Was there a 'bug' in the software that allowed it to control
> the fan even though the manufacturer specified that it wouldn't? And
> that 'bug' has been 'fixed'? A mighty strange bug.
>
> Even now there is a slight hesitation in the fan speed at the moment
> during boot-up when it used to slow. But then it regains speed.
>
> When I try to install the modules using modprobe, there is an error
> message that asserts that they are not found. But the .ko files are
> there on disk and are listed by modprobe -l. So I would count the
> detailed wording of the error message as a bug. It is seriously
> misleading to claim a reason for failure to load that is easily found
> to be false. 'incompatible with CPU hardware' might be better words,
> if in fact there really is an incompatiblity.

I have the same issue and a post here has gone un-answered.

cat /etc/debian_version
squeeze/sid

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+

sudo modprobe powernow_k8
WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 2: ignoring bad line
starting with 'test'
FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k8
(/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko): No such device

--
Damon
damon@damtek.com

Old 09-26-2010, 03:12 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 22:37 -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 18:58 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On 20100925_233536, Aniruddha wrote:
> > > I have found some information at the link below. Apparently only
> > > mobile processors are supported. You could try:
> > >
> > > modprobe processor
> > > modprobe powernowd-k8
> > >

> > > http://technowizah.com/2007/01/debian-how-to-cpu-frequency-management.html
> > >

> > Thanks, but ...
> >
> > The how-to is just the sort of thing I was asking for. What to
> > modprobe, etc. The discussion there agrees with you that only the
> > mobile processors are supported. But the fan on my mo-bo would start
> > fast and slow down during boot up. It did this for several years ---
> > until about 150 hours ago. Now it keeps going fast. Something
> > changed. Was there a 'bug' in the software that allowed it to control
> > the fan even though the manufacturer specified that it wouldn't? And
> > that 'bug' has been 'fixed'? A mighty strange bug.
> >
> > Even now there is a slight hesitation in the fan speed at the moment
> > during boot-up when it used to slow. But then it regains speed.
> >
> > When I try to install the modules using modprobe, there is an error
> > message that asserts that they are not found. But the .ko files are
> > there on disk and are listed by modprobe -l. So I would count the
> > detailed wording of the error message as a bug. It is seriously
> > misleading to claim a reason for failure to load that is easily found
> > to be false. 'incompatible with CPU hardware' might be better words,
> > if in fact there really is an incompatiblity.
>
> I have the same issue and a post here has gone un-answered.
>
> cat /etc/debian_version
> squeeze/sid
>

> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"
> model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
> model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
>

> sudo modprobe powernow_k8
> WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf line 2: ignoring bad line
> starting with 'test'
> FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k8
> (/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko): No such device

and now, I am answering my own question: BIOS AMD Cool and Quite was
OFF. Doh. Doh. Doh. Turned it on, it worked as expected.

Anybody know of a way to take back an email?

--
Damon
damon@damtek.com

Old 09-26-2010, 03:46 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Paul E Condon put forth on 9/25/2010 7:58 PM:

> Thanks, but ...

Paul you're hardware handicapped. All the modern Asus boards (and
many others) have the "Qfan-2" feature which controls fan speed based on
user configurable BIOS settings. Apparently you never read your
motherboard manual. You need no OS level software to control the fan speed.

You can whine over "it worked but now it doesn't, and why is that?" or
you can simply go into your BIOS and set it the way you want and be done
with it.

Your case is but one of many reasons I've have scolded this industry for
many years WRT OS/application level control of hardware features such as
voltages, frequencies, and fan speeds. If the hardware and/or BIOS are
designed properly, there is no need for application software level controls.

Pull out your mobo manual and solve your problem.

--
Stan

Old 09-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20100925_224627, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Paul E Condon put forth on 9/25/2010 7:58 PM:
>
> > Thanks, but ...
>
> Paul you're hardware handicapped. All the modern Asus boards (and
> many others) have the "Qfan-2" feature which controls fan speed based on
> user configurable BIOS settings. Apparently you never read your
> motherboard manual. You need no OS level software to control the fan speed.
>
> You can whine over "it worked but now it doesn't, and why is that?" or
> you can simply go into your BIOS and set it the way you want and be done
> with it.
>
> Your case is but one of many reasons I've have scolded this industry for
> many years WRT OS/application level control of hardware features such as
> voltages, frequencies, and fan speeds. If the hardware and/or BIOS are
> designed properly, there is no need for application software level controls.
>
> Pull out your mobo manual and solve your problem.

Thanks, Stan.

YOU solved my problem. I knew I was missing something, but my search
was defective and I wasn't finding what I needed. You gave the clue
of the marketing name of the feature that I wanted to control. The
manual has no index and the TOC does not mention Qfan. I had already
done what I thought was an exhaustive search of the manual, so this
time I decided to do a depth first walk of the selection tree in the
BIOS user interface. This worked for me.

After finding the control for Qfan in the seletion tree, I managed to
find it in the paper manual.

I also don't like the way the industry presents its products to its
customers, but I doubt that any suggestion that I might make would
deserve to be taken seriously.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Paul E Condon put forth on 9/26/2010 10:33 AM:

> I also don't like the way the industry presents its products to its
> customers, but I doubt that any suggestion that I might make would
> deserve to be taken seriously.

Case in point: Buy any IBM server, whether it be a Z-Series mainframe,
P-Series, or X-Series, and there is no option in the BIOS or elsewhere
to change/control voltages, fan speeds, etc. All of these things are
preprogrammed in hardware per engineering specifications. If you're
running one of these systems within the environmental limits, 0-8500 ft
altitude and 40-85% humidity, non condensing, with power input within
the specified AC voltage range, the system will adjust internal voltages
and fan speeds automatically. Period. Pull two blades out of one of
their blade chassis and the fan speed increases automatically to
compensate for lost airflow over the other blades. No software control
involved. IBM wants it that way. And that's the way it should be. If
users were allowed to monkey with these settings, support calls and
warranty repairs go up because folks would overheat their machines in an
attempt to make them quieter, or similar.

Then you have consumer level machines/mobos whose manufacturers _want_
you to be able to tweak fan speeds and voltages, as a product
differentiator. And you have Intel and MS who want to control
everything with a software driver as BIOS flashing for new features or
code revisions is a PITA compared to OS driver updates.

Again, if something is designed correctly to begin with, there is no
need for all this BS, OS level software for controlling these hardware
features. At best it makes it easier for someone to OC their CPU/GPU.
At worst, it allows frying one's system. In between, it merely causes
too much unnecessary confusion on the part of users not technically
qualified to be monkeying with such settings to begin with.

I'm not ranting at you Paul. Just ranting at the sillyness of this
aspect of the industry. If all fan controls were purely in
BIOS/hardware, you'd have never suffered this problem.

Anyway, glad I was able to help you find what you needed.

--
Stan