Old 09-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Jozsef Vadkan

Default hp deskjet 2050 scanner not working

so i have to install a windows xp in virtualbox? my god.. :P

Old 09-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:45:18 +0200, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:

> On 25 September 2010 17:17, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:00:50 +0200, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a $subject "all-in-one" printer/scanner.
>>>
>>> i just want to use the scanner. why doest kooka, xsane recognize it?
>>> what steps do i need, to bring it to life? or is its not supported
>>> yet?
>>
>> It seems to be unsupported, at least with HPLIP ;-(
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/117008
>> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet/
deskjet_2050_j510_series.html

> so i have to install a windows xp in virtualbox? my god.. :P

At least at this right moment, I'd say yes :-(

But as per the above links (the first one), it's like HPLIP could be
adding scanner capabilty in a future release :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
> I bought a $subject "all-in-one" printer/scanner.
>
> i just want to use the scanner. why doest kooka, xsane recognize it?

Before buying a scanner, you should have checked whether it is
supported, at www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html

BTW, I guess you mean 'Scanjet' instead of 'Deskjet'?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Jozsef Vadkan

the problem is that i installed a windows xp on virtualbox, and it
recognizes [devmgmt.msc] the 2050...but it doesn't scan omg..

Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 26/09/10 01:00, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
> I bought a $subject "all-in-one" printer/scanner.

Hopefully you won't make that mistake again - IMHO "all-in-one" does
"nothing-very-well"... :-(

> i just want to use the scanner. why doest kooka, xsane recognize it?
> what steps do i need, to bring it to life? or is its not supported
> yet?

</snip>

As noted by others:-
"Scan is not supported for HP Deskjet 2050 J510 series"
quoting from http://hplipopensource.com/node/342

But before you give up on support under Linux you might try emailing the
Vuescan (commercial scanning program) developer - I've found him to be
very helpful. (Vuescan works very well)
http://www.hamrick.com/sup.html

Best of luck