Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 AM
T o n g

Default Slow sendmail start up

Hi,

There is an extremely long delay when sendmail first start up, right when:

Starting Mail Transport Agent (MTA): sendmail

The googled answer that I get is to put in startic IP, or use full host
name, but this is a live system. Is there any other way to solve it?

Moreover, I just can't understand the

can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue-client/): Permission denied

error.

Please help.

Thanks

root@depen ~ # cat /var/log/mail.log
Sep 24 23:14:30 depen sm-mta[2268]: My unqualified host name (depen)
unknown; sleeping for retry
Sep 24 23:14:31 depen sm-msp-queue[2275]: My unqualified host name (depen)
unknown; sleeping for retry
Sep 24 23:15:30 depen sm-mta[2268]: unable to qualify my own domain name
(depen) -- using short name
Sep 24 23:15:30 depen sm-mta[2278]: starting daemon (8.14.3): SMTP
+queueing@00:10:00
Sep 24 23:15:31 depen sm-msp-queue[2275]: unable to qualify my own domain
name (depen) -- using short name
Sep 24 23:15:31 depen sm-msp-queue[2275]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(UID0): can not
chdir(/var/spool/mqueue-client/): Permission denied

root@depen ~ # ls -ld /var/spool/mqueue-client/
drwxrws--- 2 smmsp smmsp 3 2010-07-17 06:46 /var/spool/mqueue-client//

root@depen ~ # head -1 /etc/hostname /etc/hosts
==> /etc/hostname <==
depen

==> /etc/hosts <==
127.0.0.1 depen localhost

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 03:54:55 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> There is an extremely long delay when sendmail first start up, right
> when:
>
> Starting Mail Transport Agent (MTA): sendmail
>
> The googled answer that I get is to put in startic IP, or use full host
> name, but this is a live system. Is there any other way to solve it?

(...)

It seems to be a common issue (meaning: I also experience that delay with
Exim).

Check if that helps:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/blog/bittner-195120/howto-fix-long-boot-delay-with-starting-mta-common-issue-2882/

Especially, the "/etc/resolv.conf" setup may be useful.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 AM
T o n g

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:17:11 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> There is an extremely long delay when sendmail first start up, right
>> when:
>>
>> Starting Mail Transport Agent (MTA): sendmail
>>
>> The googled answer that I get is to put in startic IP, or use full host
>> name, but this is a live system. Is there any other way to solve it?
>
> (...)
>
> It seems to be a common issue (meaning: I also experience that delay
> with Exim).
>
> Check if that helps . . .

Thanks a lot Camaleón, you really know how to search. :-)

On the not so light side of the issue, no, playing with the "/etc/
resolv.conf" setup didn't work for me. This is a live system, and I get
IP from pump, which in turn tampers my well prepared /etc/resolv.conf
file before MTA get started.

Well, at least I have a solution -- reverting to full host name in /etc/
hosts & /etc/hostname, the ugliest solution, but the best I get so far...

Thanks