-   -   Kvm usermode networking (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/431446-kvm-usermode-networking.html)

T o n g 09-25-2010 03:09 AM

Kvm usermode networking

Hi,

How do I use the '-net user' kvm command-line option?

According to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Networking

,-----
| By default, if you enable the usermode networking using the '-net
| user' command-line option, the guest OS will get an IP address in
| the 10.0.2.0/24 address space and the host OS will be reachable
| at 10.0.2.2.
`-----

However, whenever I use the '-net user' option, there will be no eth0
device. I.e.,

kvm -boot d -cdrom linux-live.iso

This I'll get an eth0 device, and an IP for it.

kvm -net user -boot d -cdrom linux-live.iso

This I won't get the eth0 device.

As for linux-live.iso, I've tried two different ones, and the symptom is
the same.

My kvm is just the vanilla one:

$ apt-cache policy qemu-kvm
qemu-kvm:
Installed: 0.12.5+dfsg-3
Candidate: 0.12.5+dfsg-3
Version table:
*** 0.12.5+dfsg-3 0
360 http://cdn.debian.net testing/main Packages
50 http://cdn.debian.net unstable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Please help.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 09-25-2010 06:24 PM

Kvm usermode networking

In <i7jp57$jro$2@dough.gmane.org>, T o n g wrote:
>How do I use the '-net user' kvm command-line option?

"-net" command-line options must be provided in pairs to be effective. The
first one must be a "-net nic" to give the internal view of the device (i.e.
how the guest sees it). The second one should be a "-net user/tap/socket" to
give the external view of the device (i.e. how the host handles it).

(Yes, this isn't entirely clear from the documentation. I know because I live
with a qemu hacker.)

>According to
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Networking
>
>,-----
>| By default, if you enable the usermode networking using the '-net
>| user' command-line option, the guest OS will get an IP address in
>| the 10.0.2.0/24 address space and the host OS will be reachable
>| at 10.0.2.2.
>`-----

% man qemu | grep -B 2 -A 1 'default configuration'
-net none
Indicate that no network devices should be configured. It is used
to override the default configuration (-net nic -net user) which is
activated if no -net options are provided.

(The default configuration is not *just* "-net user".)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))