-   -   Can I have a working VLC in Lenny, and transcode, and ffmpeg? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/431429-can-i-have-working-vlc-lenny-transcode-ffmpeg.html)

Scott Ferguson 09-25-2010 12:58 AM

Can I have a working VLC in Lenny, and transcode, and ffmpeg?

Hi all,
on lenny i386 I use VLC for viewing and ripping ffflash - which
works fine.
I'd like to install transcode and ffmpeg without pulling in libavutil*
from debian-multimedia.org (which previously has broken VLC).
For reasons too lengthy to list here - I do not want to use something as
a replacement for VLC.
Thanks in advance for constructive advice.

Cheers

Angus Hedger 09-25-2010 08:33 AM

Can I have a working VLC in Lenny, and transcode, and ffmpeg?

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:58:33 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> on lenny i386 I use VLC for viewing and ripping ffflash - which
> works fine.
> I'd like to install transcode and ffmpeg without pulling in libavutil*
> from debian-multimedia.org (which previously has broken VLC).
> For reasons too lengthy to list here - I do not want to use something
> as a replacement for VLC.
> Thanks in advance for constructive advice.
>
> Cheers

VLC with libavutil* from d-m works at the moment, it has not broken
again since that one time!

You could try pulling in libavutil from main, eg
sudo aptitude -t lenny libavutil49

Then pull in transcode from d-m and it might not pull in the newer
version, unless it depends on it.

Otherwise, you can compile transcode against the lenny libacutil see
here [1]

But, to be honist, just try the d-m VLC/Transcode, its working
perfectly for me here (I am using AMD64 rather than i386, so ymmv, but
it should be fine!)

Good luck

[1]http://www.transcoding.org/transcode?Building_Transcode

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Scott Ferguson 09-25-2010 09:39 AM

On 25/09/10 18:33, Angus Hedger wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:58:33 +1000
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> on lenny i386 I use VLC for viewing and ripping ffflash - which
>> works fine.
>> I'd like to install transcode and ffmpeg without pulling in libavutil*
>> from debian-multimedia.org (which previously has broken VLC).
>> For reasons too lengthy to list here - I do not want to use something
>> as a replacement for VLC.
>> Thanks in advance for constructive advice.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> VLC with libavutil* from d-m works at the moment, it has not broken
> again since that one time!
>
> You could try pulling in libavutil from main, eg
> sudo aptitude -t lenny libavutil49
>
> Then pull in transcode from d-m and it might not pull in the newer
> version, unless it depends on it.
>
> Otherwise, you can compile transcode against the lenny libacutil see
> here [1]
>
> But, to be honist, just try the d-m VLC/Transcode, its working
> perfectly for me here (I am using AMD64 rather than i386, so ymmv, but
> it should be fine!)
>
> Good luck
>
> [1]http://www.transcoding.org/transcode?Building_Transcode
>
> ------
> Regards,
>
> Angus Hedger
>
> Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Thanks Angus,
I shall try your suggestion.

Cheers