Old 09-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found

Hi,

I have 2 linux partitions on this acer aspire laptop. one has lenny and
the other has sid. The lenny one detects the wireless card fine. The sid
one doesn't.

When I run: 'ifconfig wlan0 up' on sid I get:

[ 4424.513283] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
[ 4424.515984] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not found
[ 4424.518740] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
download the correct firmware
for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this
website.
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

But I have b43-fwcutter installed on both partitions:

ii b43-fwcutter 1:013-2 Utility
for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware

I don't remember doing anything else than installing b43-fwcutter on
lenny but sure enough /lib/firmware on lenny has /b43 and /b43legacy and
on sid it doesn't so the firmware is missing.

What am I doing wrong?

Hugo

Archive: i7ik73$6qg$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i7ik73$6qg$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-09-24 18:38 +0200, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> I have 2 linux partitions on this acer aspire laptop. one has lenny and
> the other has sid. The lenny one detects the wireless card fine. The sid
> one doesn't.
>
> When I run: 'ifconfig wlan0 up' on sid I get:
>

> [ 4424.513283] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
> [ 4424.515984] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not found
> [ 4424.518740] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
> download the correct firmware
> for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this
> website.
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>

> But I have b43-fwcutter installed on both partitions:
>
> ii b43-fwcutter 1:013-2 Utility
> for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
>
> I don't remember doing anything else than installing b43-fwcutter on
> lenny but sure enough /lib/firmware on lenny has /b43 and /b43legacy and
> on sid it doesn't so the firmware is missing.

AFAIK b43-fwcutter in sid does not try to download and extract the
firmware anymore. You need one of the firmware-b43*installer packages
(which one depends on your hardware/driver) for that.

Sven

Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Angus Hedger

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:38:53 -0500
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 linux partitions on this acer aspire laptop. one has lenny
> and the other has sid. The lenny one detects the wireless card fine.
> The sid one doesn't.
>
> When I run: 'ifconfig wlan0 up' on sid I get:
>

> [ 4424.513283] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
> [ 4424.515984] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not
> found [ 4424.518740] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
> download the correct firmware
> for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on
> this website.
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>

> But I have b43-fwcutter installed on both partitions:
>
> ii b43-fwcutter 1:013-2 Utility
> for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
>
> I don't remember doing anything else than installing b43-fwcutter on
> lenny but sure enough /lib/firmware on lenny has /b43 and /b43legacy
> and on sid it doesn't so the firmware is missing.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Hugo

Try installing the firmware-linux-nonfree package.

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

[...]

Thanks, Sven, installing *firmware-b43-installer* does the trick,
because the wireless light on the laptop lights and 'wlist wlan0 scan'
produces results. But why would wicd-gtk still show 'no wireless
networks found'?

Hugo

Archive: i7inp4$njb$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i7inp4$njb$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Archive: i7ins9$njb$2@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i7ins9$njb$2@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-09-24 19:39 +0200, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Thanks, Sven, installing *firmware-b43-installer* does the trick,
> because the wireless light on the laptop lights and 'wlist wlan0 scan'
> produces results. But why would wicd-gtk still show 'no wireless
> networks found'?

Don't know, it worked for me when I last tried. Are you a member of the
netdev group? Note that wicd has severe problems with hidden SSID¹.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=565483

Old 09-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Thanks, Sven, installing *firmware-b43-installer* does the trick,
because the wireless light on the laptop lights and 'wlist wlan0 scan'
produces results. But why would wicd-gtk still show 'no wireless
networks found'?

Don't know, it worked for me when I last tried. Are you a member of the
netdev group? Note that wicd has severe problems with hidden SSID¹.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=565483

But wicd works on this laptop in the lenny partition, just not in the
sid partition. What I don't get is that 'iwlist wlan0 scan' lists the
wireless stations found and wicd which uses iwlist can't find them.

I am a member of netdev.

Hugo

Archive: i7itle$hk4$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i7itle$hk4$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Thanks, Sven, installing *firmware-b43-installer* does the trick,
because the wireless light on the laptop lights and 'wlist wlan0 scan'
produces results. But why would wicd-gtk still show 'no wireless
networks found'?

Don't know, it worked for me when I last tried. Are you a member of the
netdev group? Note that wicd has severe problems with hidden SSID¹.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=565483

But wicd works on this laptop in the lenny partition, just not in the
sid partition. What I don't get is that 'iwlist wlan0 scan' lists the
wireless stations found and wicd which uses iwlist can't find them.

I am a member of netdev.

I found it: in wicd-gtk the preferences for wireless have to be set to
'wlan0' interface. Then he (she?) finds everything. Thanks again.

Hugo