Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM
T o n g

Default What pm-utils depends

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:25:58 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:

>> So, the Debian-recommended way is (still) "pm-utils". I saw that
>> pm-utils depends on HAL, and thinking that the HAL will soon be the
>> thing in the past,
>
> Huh? AFAIK, pm-utils never depended on HAL; it used to recommend it,
> but it does not do this anymore.

Interesting, let's see,

>From

http://old-en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

"pm-utils is the new suspend and powerstate setting framework. It is
usually used by HAL to execute the various hacks. . . Both pm-suspend and
pm-hibernate are usually called from HAL, initiated by desktop applets as
gnome-power-manager or kpowersave... "

From
http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend

"A key package for Lenny's power management is HAL (hal)which watches for
ACPI events. . . The package pm-utils is a package of power management
software. It stands between HAL and actually suspending the system..."

So, what's the latest update on this?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Arthur Machlas

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:25:58 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Huh? *AFAIK, pm-utils never depended on HAL; it used to recommend it,
>> but it does not do this anymore.
>
> "pm-utils is the new suspend and powerstate setting framework. It is
> usually used by HAL to execute the various hacks. . . Both pm-suspend and
> pm-hibernate are usually called from HAL, initiated by desktop applets as
> gnome-power-manager or kpowersave... "

That says that HAL can use the pm-utils package. Not that pm-utils
depends on HAL. Systems without HAL installed can use other mechanisms
to call pm-utils, like acpi, udisks, udev, etc.

> "A key package for Lenny's power management is HAL (hal)which watches for
> ACPI events. . . The package pm-utils is a package of power management
> software. It stands between HAL and actually suspending the system..."
>
> So, what's the latest update on this?

That is referring to Gnome's power management on Lenny. It uses acpi,
pm-utils and hal. Squeeze may or may not do the same, I'm not sure.
But again, that says nothing about pm-utils needing HAL to work.
Merely that HAL is the mechanism used to watch for ACPI events, but
others are available to do that job as well.