Old 09-24-2010, 04:26 AM

Default iceweasel seg faults when closing tabs

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:45:37 -0700
<briand@aracnet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I reported this a while back, and no one seemed to be experiencing
> it.
>
> I wasn't exactly sure it was a segfault, but I figured it out tonight,
> and it definitely is seg-faulting. It doesn't take too long, just
> keep opening tabs, close them, and eventually it dies.
>
> It's been doing this for a while and through several apt-get upgrades.
>
> So I am wondering again: has anyone else seen this behavior ?
>
> Brian
>
> p.s. there is also the ever popular:
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
>
> any chance this has something to do with it ?

doh! strong evidence that it's the flash plugin. damn, I really
should take my own advice.

oooooh, how I hate flash.....

Brian

Old 09-24-2010, 05:39 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <20100923212652.3496e5ac@windy.deldotd.com>, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:45:37 -0700
><briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
>> Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
>
>doh! strong evidence that it's the flash plugin. damn, I really
>should take my own advice.
>
>oooooh, how I hate flash.....

Uninstall Adobe Flash, clear all your cookies, install Gnash and its Mozilla
plugin, and try it out. It's relatively painless to move back if it doesn't
suit your needs.[1] Gnash in testing is supposed to have 100% of YouTube.com
videos working, and some other sites use similar enough video embedding that
they work as well.

If it doesn't work in Gnash, I simply do without it. But, even if your desire
for flash contest exceeds your dedication to Free Software, it is worth a try.
I imagine the Gnash maintainers are actually more interested resolving issues
on Debian (and other Free OSes) than Adobe.

[1] Just reverse the process -- uninstall Gnash, clear your cookies, reinstall
Adobe Flash.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 09-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 24/09/10 15:39, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <20100923212652.3496e5ac@windy.deldotd.com>, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:45:37 -0700
>> <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
>>> Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
>>
>> doh! strong evidence that it's the flash plugin. damn, I really
>> should take my own advice.
>>
>> oooooh, how I hate flash.....
>
> Uninstall Adobe Flash, clear all your cookies, install Gnash and its Mozilla
> plugin, and try it out. It's relatively painless to move back if it doesn't
> suit your needs.[1] Gnash in testing is supposed to have 100% of YouTube.com
> videos working, and some other sites use similar enough video embedding that
> they work as well.
>
> If it doesn't work in Gnash, I simply do without it. But, even if your desire
> for flash contest exceeds your dedication to Free Software, it is worth a try.
> I imagine the Gnash maintainers are actually more interested resolving issues
> on Debian (and other Free OSes) than Adobe.
>
> [1] Just reverse the process -- uninstall Gnash, clear your cookies, reinstall
> Adobe Flash.

...and if it's just youtube you're interested in - they are trialling
HTML5 (fffflash-free).

Gnash - written by a bloke that wears an Akubra - so it must be good!
(apropos of nought).

Cheers

--
Patriotism - the last refuge of scoundrels

Old 09-25-2010, 07:46 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:39:21 -0500
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> In <20100923212652.3496e5ac@windy.deldotd.com>, briand@aracnet.com
> wrote:
> >On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:45:37 -0700
> ><briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
> >> Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
> >
> >doh! strong evidence that it's the flash plugin. damn, I really
> >should take my own advice.
> >
> >oooooh, how I hate flash.....
>
> Uninstall Adobe Flash, clear all your cookies, install Gnash and its
> Mozilla plugin, and try it out. It's relatively painless to move
> back if it doesn't suit your needs.[1] Gnash in testing is supposed
> to have 100% of YouTube.com videos working, and some other sites use
> similar enough video embedding that they work as well.
>
> If it doesn't work in Gnash, I simply do without it. But, even if
> your desire for flash contest exceeds your dedication to Free
> Software, it is worth a try. I imagine the Gnash maintainers are
> actually more interested resolving issues on Debian (and other Free
> OSes) than Adobe.
>
> [1] Just reverse the process -- uninstall Gnash, clear your cookies,
> reinstall Adobe Flash.

Thanks to you and Scott for the advice.

I've removed flash and that seems to have fixed the problem. Hasn't
crashed in quite a while. The SO wants flash so I put it in her home
directory .mozilla/plugins. She is not as heavy a tab user. the
strange thing is that she _does_ use tabs, and hasn't seen this
happen. This is very interesting since I see it die quite often.

One very interesting detail is that I have two X sessions up and
running, mine and hers, with mine on set-up using

startx -- :1

I wonder if that has something to do with it...