-   -   lilo config is busted, need help fixing it (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/431068-lilo-config-busted-need-help-fixing.html)

09-24-2010 03:50 AM

lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On boot lilo does not find the root device. I can use root=/dev/sda2
at the lilo boot prompt and it will boot correctly. So clearly it's
pointing at the incorrect root device. I've double checked the
lilo.conf file and it says:

boot=/dev/sda

root=/dev/sda2

which is correct. the lilo command runs without warnings or errors.

I ran lilo -v 3 -t and it produced the following:

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64
Device 0x0802: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 30515 cylinders,
63 sectors. Partition offset: 120583890 sectors.
Using Volume ID 5879D4A8 on bios 80
Setup length is 27 sectors.
Mapped 4708 sectors.
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
Device 0x0802: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 30515 cylinders,
63 sectors. Partition offset: 120583890 sectors.
Using Volume ID 5879D4A8 on bios 80
RAM disk: 9407 sectors.
Added Lin_2.6.32img5
<dev=0xe0,hd=227,cyl=57,sct=204>
"ro root=802"

I immediately noticed that dev=0xe0

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Sep 23 20:45 /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Sep 13 05:17 /dev/sda1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 Sep 13 05:20 /dev/sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 3 Sep 13 05:22 /dev/sda3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 4 Sep 13 05:17 /dev/sda4

shouldn't dev=0x82 !!??

Anybody know how I can fix this ?

Thanks,

Brian

Stan Hoeppner 09-24-2010 04:20 AM

lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

briand@aracnet.com put forth on 9/23/2010 10:50 PM:

> Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64
> Device 0x0802: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 30515 cylinders,
> 63 sectors. Partition offset: 120583890 sectors.
> Using Volume ID 5879D4A8 on bios 80
> Setup length is 27 sectors.
> Mapped 4708 sectors.
> Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
> Device 0x0802: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 30515 cylinders,
> 63 sectors. Partition offset: 120583890 sectors.
> Using Volume ID 5879D4A8 on bios 80
> RAM disk: 9407 sectors.
> Added Lin_2.6.32img5
> <dev=0xe0,hd=227,cyl=57,sct=204>
> "ro root=802"
>
> I immediately noticed that dev=0xe0

> shouldn't dev=0x82 !!??

No, that's normal. What had you changed on the system immediately prior
to this boot problem occurring?

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34.1
Device 0x0801: BIOS drive 0x80, 16 heads, 969021 cylinders,
63 sectors. Partition offset: 63 sectors.
Using Volume ID 37945249 on bios 80
Setup length is 23 sectors.
Mapped 2909 sectors.
Added Linux (alias 1) *
<dev=0xe0,hd=0,cyl=22,sct=25>
"ro root=802"

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.9
Device 0x0801: BIOS drive 0x80, 16 heads, 969021 cylinders,
63 sectors. Partition offset: 63 sectors.
Using Volume ID 37945249 on bios 80
Setup length is 23 sectors.
Mapped 2879 sectors.
Added LinuxOLD (alias 2)
<dev=0xe0,hd=0,cyl=22,sct=58>
"ro root=802"

--
Stan

09-24-2010 04:25 AM

lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 23:20:45 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> briand@aracnet.com put forth on 9/23/2010 10:50 PM:
>
> > Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64
> > Device 0x0802: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 30515 cylinders,
> > 63 sectors. Partition offset: 120583890 sectors.
> > Using Volume ID 5879D4A8 on bios 80
> > Setup length is 27 sectors.
> > Mapped 4708 sectors.
> > Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
> > Device 0x0802: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 30515 cylinders,
> > 63 sectors. Partition offset: 120583890 sectors.
> > Using Volume ID 5879D4A8 on bios 80
> > RAM disk: 9407 sectors.
> > Added Lin_2.6.32img5
> > <dev=0xe0,hd=227,cyl=57,sct=204>
> > "ro root=802"
> >
> > I immediately noticed that dev=0xe0
>
> > shouldn't dev=0x82 !!??
>
> No, that's normal. What had you changed on the system immediately
> prior to this boot problem occurring?

apt-get dist-upgrade, natch.

it's very odd, because it runs just fine. and it boots fine as long as
I supply the root=/dev/sda2

aaargh. I've never had so much trouble in my entire
linux/debian/life. I have had a smooth boot or bootloader upgrade on
this computer since I fired it up. other one works good, though. but
really, 1/2 _is_ bad.

Brian

09-24-2010 04:33 AM

lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:25:56 -0700
<briand@aracnet.com> wrote:

> aaargh. I've never had so much trouble in my entire
> linux/debian/life. I have had a smooth boot or bootloader upgrade on
> this computer since I fired it up. other one works good, though. but
> really, 1/2 _is_ bad.

I have NOT had a smooth, etc...

Brian

Stan Hoeppner 09-24-2010 04:44 AM

lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

briand@aracnet.com put forth on 9/23/2010 11:25 PM:

>> No, that's normal. What had you changed on the system immediately
>> prior to this boot problem occurring?
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade, natch.

WTF is "natch"?

--
Stan

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 09-24-2010 05:40 AM

In <4C9C2CA9.3020401@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>briand@aracnet.com put forth on 9/23/2010 11:25 PM:
>>> No, that's normal. What had you changed on the system immediately
>>> prior to this boot problem occurring?
>>
>> apt-get dist-upgrade, natch.
>
>WTF is "natch"?

Shortening of "naturally", which in this context is slang for "of course" or
"as expected".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

David Baron 09-24-2010 09:57 AM

lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

Try reinstalling your kernel, or if you compiled your own, install a recent
linux-image-2.6.32.5 from Sid. The postinstall script will point /etc/fstab
and lilo.conf to the newer UUID references and then it should play.

The postinstall for home-brew kernels does not do this for you, I'm afraid and
I was dead in the water for a few weeks till I installed the stock image.

(Afterwards, you do not need to keep it if your home-brew kernel now boots
OK.)

09-24-2010 02:07 PM

lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:57:25 +0200
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Try reinstalling your kernel, or if you compiled your own, install a
> recent linux-image-2.6.32.5 from Sid. The postinstall script will
> point /etc/fstab and lilo.conf to the newer UUID references and then
> it should play.

I'll give it a try,but I'm not clear on what the UUID reference has to
do with anything. it boots fine with root=/dev/sda2 and my fstab is
consistent, i.e. uses device designation and _not_ UUIDs.

> The postinstall for home-brew kernels does not do this for you, I'm
> afraid and I was dead in the water for a few weeks till I installed
> the stock image.

I'm running a stock kernel.

However it's certainly worth a try to see if it fixes it.

I'm following Steve Powell's excellent kernel guide:

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

and I'm fairly certain I've done everything correctly.

The real question here is: what tells lilo what the root device is ??
The lilo.conf file is correct. Is there something in one of the .map
files are some other auxiliary file screwing things up ?

Brian

09-24-2010 02:10 PM

lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:57:25 +0200
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Try reinstalling your kernel, or if you compiled your own, install a
> recent linux-image-2.6.32.5 from Sid. The postinstall script will
> point /etc/fstab and lilo.conf to the newer UUID references and then
> it should play.
>
> The postinstall for home-brew kernels does not do this for you, I'm
> afraid and I was dead in the water for a few weeks till I installed
> the stock image.
>
> (Afterwards, you do not need to keep it if your home-brew kernel now
> boots OK.)

I deleted one of the older images and when it finished I got this mess:

Could not find postrm hook script [lilo-update].
Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
Purging configuration files for linux-image-2.6.18-6-amd64 ...
Could not find postrm hook script [lilo-update].
Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .

clearly I did not follow Mr. Powells guide correctly.

Fun project for the weekend.

Brian

Stephen Powell 09-24-2010 09:06 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:10:53 -0400 (EDT), briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> I deleted one of the older images and when it finished I got this mess:
>
> Could not find postrm hook script [lilo-update].
> Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
> Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
> Purging configuration files for linux-image-2.6.18-6-amd64 ...
> Could not find postrm hook script [lilo-update].
> Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
> Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
>
> clearly I did not follow Mr. Powells guide correctly.
>
> Fun project for the weekend.

Hello, Brian. I have been following this thread, but I didn't want
to respond until I tried it myself. There is an important difference
between specifying

root=/dev/sda2

at the boot prompt versus supplying it in /etc/lilo.conf. When you
supply it on the command line at a boot prompt, I'm fairly sure that
it passes that literal string to the kernel during boot. But when
you specify it in /etc/lilo.conf, lilo's map installer translates it
into a four-digit hexadecimal number consisting of a two-digit major
number and a two-digit minor number. It is that number which gets
passed to the kernel at boot time. In your case it would be

root=802

(The leading zero is suppressed.) So it is theoretically possible
that something changed in the kernel so that it does not correctly
handle that type of root argument. Having said that, however, I cannot
reproduce your results using the latest stock Debian kernel for
squeeze for the i386 architecture: linux-image-2.6.32-5-686, version
2.6.32-23. Unless it is something specific to the amd64 architecture,
which I doubt, I suspect that lilo didn't get run during the upgrade,
as the above console log suggests. The first thing to try is to
manually run lilo, shutdown and reboot, and see if it fixes the
problem. If it does, then it's a pretty safe bet that lilo did not
get run during the upgrade, or at least not at the right time.

Due to changes in the way hook scripts are handled, I no longer
recommend using a hook script invoked from /etc/kernel-img.conf,
even when using stock kernels. And the latest version of lilo
available for squeeze, 1:22.8-8.3, now includes its own hook scripts.
These hook scripts do not maintain symbolic links, however. If you
are using only stock kernels, you can take care of getting
symlinks maintained by using

do_symlinks = yes

in /etc/kernel-img.conf, but if you use custom kernels at all,
this won't cut it. In that case, you need my zy-symlinks hook
scripts from my web site. Also, I am using lilo 23.0, which is
available from upstream but not yet as an official Debian package;
so that also might possibly explain why I cannot reproduce your
problem. But I doubt it. Current stock Debian kernels for the
amd64 architecture are right on the ragged edge of being too
large for lilo to load below the 16M line; and lilo 23.0 contains
some important fixes for amd64 users; so you might want to give
lilo 23.0 a try.

I suggest that you review

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm#Customize

for a more complete treatment of the topic.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :