Old 09-25-2010, 12:42 AM

Default lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:06:43 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:10:53 -0400 (EDT), briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> >
> > I deleted one of the older images and when it finished I got this
> > mess:
> >
> > Could not find postrm hook script [lilo-update].
> > Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
> > Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
> > Purging configuration files for linux-image-2.6.18-6-amd64 ...
> > Could not find postrm hook script [lilo-update].
> > Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
> > Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
> >
> > clearly I did not follow Mr. Powells guide correctly.
> >
> > Fun project for the weekend.
> >

> Hello, Brian. I have been following this thread, but I didn't want
> to respond until I tried it myself. There is an important difference
> between specifying
>
> root=/dev/sda2
>
> at the boot prompt versus supplying it in /etc/lilo.conf. When you
> supply it on the command line at a boot prompt, I'm fairly sure that
> it passes that literal string to the kernel during boot. But when
> you specify it in /etc/lilo.conf, lilo's map installer translates it
> into a four-digit hexadecimal number consisting of a two-digit major
> number and a two-digit minor number. It is that number which gets
> passed to the kernel at boot time. In your case it would be
>
> root=802
>
> (The leading zero is suppressed.) So it is theoretically possible
> that something changed in the kernel so that it does not correctly
> handle that type of root argument. Having said that, however, I
> cannot reproduce your results using the latest stock Debian kernel for
> squeeze for the i386 architecture: linux-image-2.6.32-5-686, version
> 2.6.32-23. Unless it is something specific to the amd64 architecture,
> which I doubt, I suspect that lilo didn't get run during the upgrade,
> as the above console log suggests. The first thing to try is to
> manually run lilo, shutdown and reboot, and see if it fixes the
> problem. If it does, then it's a pretty safe bet that lilo did not
> get run during the upgrade, or at least not at the right time.

I've run lilo and rebooted multiple times and always get the same
result.

> I suggest that you review
>
> http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm#Customize
>
> for a more complete treatment of the topic.

I've been using that as my guide.

right now I'm thinking I've got something misconfigured, but what ??
Running lilo manually should fix whatever's going on and it most
certainly isn't.

Brian

Old 09-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 20:42:56 -0400 (EDT), briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> I've run lilo and rebooted multiple times and always get the same
> result.

Interesting. What happens if you specify

root=802

as an argument to the boot prompt?

> right now I'm thinking I've got something misconfigured, but what ??
> Running lilo manually should fix whatever's going on and it most
> certainly isn't.

Please post your entire /etc/lilo.conf. Also post:

/etc/kernel-img.conf
A list of all files in /etc/kernel/postinst.d
A list of all files in /etc/kernel/postrm.d
A list of all files in /boot
The definitions of the boot-related symlinks:

vmlinuz
initrd.img
vmlinuz.old
initrd.img.old

The output of

lilo -v

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Stephen Powell put forth on 9/24/2010 4:06 PM:
> Current stock Debian kernels for the
> amd64 architecture are right on the ragged edge of being too
> large for lilo to load below the 16M line

And the bulk of these ~16MB stock kernels is the initrd, correct? Wow
those are huge. I'm so glad I roll my own, from kernel.org source, and
forgo the "kitchen sink" initrd setups of the stock kernels.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.5M Jul 9 09:29 vmlinuz-2.6.34.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 490K Jul 9 09:29 System.map-2.6.34.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29K Jul 9 09:29 config-2.6.34.1

At my pace of kernel file growth, I won't hit the lilo 22.8 16MB limit
for a few decades.

Correct me if I'm wrong Stephen, but isn't this 16MB ceiling more of a
block device controller BIOS limitation than a lilo limitation?

--
Stan

Old 09-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Stan Hoeppner

briand@aracnet.com put forth on 9/24/2010 7:42 PM:

> right now I'm thinking I've got something misconfigured, but what ??
> Running lilo manually should fix whatever's going on and it most
> certainly isn't.

Did you possibly lose your BIOS LBA configuration before the
dist-upgrade, and didn't know it? If your CMOS battery had died, which
is quite common on 4-5+ year old systems, and you rebooted the PC, when
it came back up your BIOS data would be at defaults. In this case your
disk geometry in the BIOS may have changed from say, LBA, to LARGE, or
NORMAL.

If this occurred, it "might" explain your problems. Once the system is
booted after you manually specify /dev/sda2 at the prompt, the ATA
driver may be defaulting to LBA mode. Thus, when you run lilo, it's
basing sector translation on block offsets using LBA. When you reboot,
if the BIOS is set to NORMAL (CHS) or LARGE, the translation isn't going
to match what lilo saved in the MBR or the first sector of a partition,
whichever method you use.

When you specify /dev/sda2 at the prompt, the bootloader is working with
the current BIOS translation setting and correctly finds the disk
sectors for the root filesystem. This may explain why you can
successfully boot in this manner, but not using the normal automatic
lilo boot--the sector translations may be different.

This is all a shot in the dark and I could be smoking crack. But, it
_seems_ possible given your symptoms. Check your mobo BIOS, or PCI card
disk controller BIOS, if that's what your disk is attached to, and make
sure the drive translation is set to LBA, which is likely what it was
before.

Like I said, it's a long shot...but worth checking.

--
Stan

Old 09-25-2010, 07:40 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:18:25 -0400 (EDT)