Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 AM
T o n g

Default Squeeze. What is current hibernation mechanism ==> pm-utils

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:11:26 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I would recommend reading [ . . . ]

So, the Debian-recommended way is (still) "pm-utils". I saw that pm-utils
depends on HAL, and thinking that the HAL will soon be the thing in the
past, so I went for the other route: hibernate with kernel patch, then
hibernate with uwusup. They all turned out to be dead ends.

What is not working for me? Anything & everything:

- suspend
- hibernation
- lid close
- power button to turn off computer
. . .

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/388805

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-09-24 03:32 +0200, T o n g wrote:

> So, the Debian-recommended way is (still) "pm-utils". I saw that pm-utils
> depends on HAL, and thinking that the HAL will soon be the thing in the
> past,

Huh? AFAIK, pm-utils never depended on HAL; it used to recommend it,
but it does not do this anymore.

> so I went for the other route: hibernate with kernel patch, then
> hibernate with uwusup. They all turned out to be dead ends.

You should give pm-hibernate another try.

> What is not working for me? Anything & everything:
>
> - suspend
> - hibernation
> - lid close
> - power button to turn off computer

Have you tried a kernel from experimental yet? And please make sure
that the acpi-support package is installed.

Sven

Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 01:32:44 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:11:26 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> I would recommend reading [ . . . ]
>
> So, the Debian-recommended way is (still) "pm-utils". I saw that
> pm-utils depends on HAL, and thinking that the HAL will soon be the
> thing in the past, so I went for the other route: hibernate with kernel
> patch, then hibernate with uwusup. They all turned out to be dead ends.

Mmm... you shouldn't care about the backend used by "gnome-power-manager"
or "pm-utils", that's up to developers. User (like us) only have to check
if "it works", and if doesn't, make some debug, testing and review the
logs to find out the culprit.

Nowadays "gnome-power-manager" seems to use DBus instad of HAL, though.

> What is not working for me? Anything & everything:
>
> - suspend
> - hibernation

What happens when you trigger "suspend" or "hibernation"?

> - lid close
> - power button to turn off computer

These are ACPI events. You mean you get no response when you run any of
those actions?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón