-   -   What is blocking my sound? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/431042-what-blocking-my-sound.html)

Marc Shapiro 09-24-2010 01:11 AM

What is blocking my sound?

I am running Lenny, with alsa and udev. Frequently then sound on my
system just stops working. When it does, I run the following command to
check if the sound device is in use, or there is some other cause:

'aoss play ~/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav

Usually, as the following output shows, the device cab not be opened:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
play soxio: Can't open output file `default': cannot open audio
device

Usually the fix is to close all instances of Firefox until I find the
culprit, and sound returns. I just killed all running instances of
firefox and can not think what else could have grabbed the device and
not released it. Is there a way to determine what process is using the
device so that I can kill the appropriate thread instead of using trial
and error?

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Marc Shapiro

Archive: 4C9BFAAD.7050403@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C9BFAAD.7050403@gmail.com

T o n g 09-24-2010 01:42 AM

What is blocking my sound?

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:11:09 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> Usually the fix is to close all instances of Firefox until I find the
> culprit, and sound returns.

The alternative to above headaches is use alsa as much as possible, not
oss! E.g.,

- use aplay instead of play.
- install libsox-fmt-alsa so that sox (ie play) uses alsa interface
instead of oss.

HTH

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Felipe Sateler 09-24-2010 02:14 AM

What is blocking my sound?

On 23/09/10 21:11, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I am running Lenny, with alsa and udev. Frequently then sound on my
> system just stops working. When it does, I run the following command to
> check if the sound device is in use, or there is some other cause:
>
> 'aoss play ~/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav
>
> Usually, as the following output shows, the device cab not be opened:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> play soxio: Can't open output file `default': cannot open audio
> device
>
> Usually the fix is to close all instances of Firefox until I find the
> culprit, and sound returns. I just killed all running instances of
> firefox and can not think what else could have grabbed the device and
> not released it. Is there a way to determine what process is using the
> device so that I can kill the appropriate thread instead of using trial
> and error?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

lsof /dev/snd/* /dev/dsp /dev/sndstat

--