Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Gary Roach

Default Exim4 setup for LAMP web site.

I hope this is not a duplicate.

I'm not sure whether this is a Drupal web editor problem or a Debian
Exim problem but when automatic messages are sent by my new web site
(in early development) they go nowhere. The pertinent Exim4 log entries
are:

2010-09-22 08:29:36 exim 4.72 daemon started:
pid=5482, -q30m, listening for SMTP on [127.0.0.1]:25 [::1]:25

2010-09-22 08:29:36 Start queue run: pid=5484

2010-09-22 08:29:36 End queue run: pid=5484

2010-09-22 08:31:04 1OyRHk-0001Qi-Ad <= nobody@<my computer>.domain
U=nobody
P=local S=1212

2010-09-22 08:31:04 1OyRHk-0001Qi-Ad <my computer>.domain
[127.0.1.1] Connection refused

2010-09-22 08:31:04 1OyRHk-0001Qi-Ad == <name>@<provider>
R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost defer (111): Connection refused

2010-09-22 08:36:22 1OyRMs-0001Qy-1l <= nobody@<my computer>.domain
U=nobody
P=local S=1157

2010-09-22 08:36:22 1OyRMs-0001Qy-1l == <name>@<provider>
R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost defer (-53): retry time not reached
for any host

After a lot of lumps gotten when trying to setup exim and sendmail a
couple of year ago, I've stayed away from them like the plague. I use
Icedove for my normal mail. Unfortunately, for this application I need
send only capability tied to my web site. Any help would really be
appreciated.

Gary R.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:27:57 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> I hope this is not a duplicate.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a Drupal web editor problem or a Debian
> Exim problem but when automatic messages are sent by my new web site (in
> early development) they go nowhere. The pertinent Exim4 log entries are:

I have to recognize that I still fail to understand Exim's full
capabilities and setup (and I promise that I try hard :-P) but let me
comment just some details I've seen in your logs...

(...)

>> 2010-09-22 08:31:04 1OyRHk-0001Qi-Ad == <*name>*@<*provider>*
>> R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost defer (111): Connection refused
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you using a smart host configuration?

If yes, most probably your ISP (o e-mail provider) is requesting you to
authenticate before sending e-mails (smtp auth). Have you already setup
that information (login/password) in Exim?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Gary Roach

Well, you were correct about the authentication being a problem. I
fixed it but still no joy. I ran the swaks testing program with: swaks
--auth --to me@verizon.net --server outgoing.verizon.net.

This asked for the usual login and returned a long list of things. The
last lines were:

<-* 235 2.7.0 LOGIN authentication successful.

*-> MAIL FROM:<root@mycomputer.domain>

<** 550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed

*-> QUIT

<-* 221 2.3.0 Bye received. Goodbye.

I understand that my ISP is trying to validate me as a source but am
not sure what to do to fix it.

Gary R.

=

Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:35:03 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> Well, you were correct about the authentication being a problem. I fixed
> it but still no joy. I ran the swaks testing program with: swaks --auth
> --to *me*@verizon.net --server outgoing.verizon.net. This asked for the
> usual login and returned a long list of things. The last lines were:
>
> <- 235 2.7.0 LOGIN authentication successful.
> -> MAIL FROM:<root@*mycomputer*.domain>
> <** 550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed
(...)

That means your ISP is rejecting your host name ("@mycomputer.domain") so
you should "masquerade" it for outgoing mail. It's like Verizon is making
some sort of sender validation test, tries to resolve your local domain
and it fails.

> I understand that my ISP is trying to validate me as a source but am not
> sure what to do to fix it.

Yep, I think so. And that setting should be tweakeable in your exim4
config file but Exim... mmm, is not my area, dunno how could be done.
Let's see if someone here can give you any tip :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 AM

Old 09-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Gary Roach

I got that a valid DNS name isn't present. What do I do about it. Does
this mean that I need to submit something to my ISP or use one of my
existing email accounts for a name or stick in something from the
returns I get from running host. I know what them problem is. I just
don't know how to fix it. I use Verizon Fios with an M1424WR router if
that is any help.

Gary R.

Well, you were correct about the authentication being a problem. I fixed
it but still no joy. I ran the swaks testing program with: swaks --auth
--to *me*@verizon.net --server outgoing.verizon.net.
This asked for the usual login and returned a long list of things. The
last lines were:

<- 235 2.7.0 LOGIN authentication successful.
-> MAIL FROM:<root@*mycomputer*.domain>
<** 550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed
-> QUIT
<- 221 2.3.0 Bye received. Goodbye.

I understand that my ISP is trying to validate me as a source but am not
sure what to do to fix it.

Host-not-in-DNS means that you have no valid DNS name and when
destination mail system is doing DNS lookup can not verify you, thus
rejecting emails from this source.
Provide valid entry in dns for your mail server and then it should work.
- --

Archive: 4C9CB8A9.9000307@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C9CB8A9.9000307@verizon.net

Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM
kuLa

>> On 23/09/10 21:35, Gary Roach wrote:
>>
>>> Well, you were correct about the authentication being a problem. I fixed
>>> it but still no joy. I ran the swaks testing program with: swaks --auth
>>> --to *me*@verizon.net --server outgoing.verizon.net.
>>> This asked for the usual login and returned a long list of things. The
>>> last lines were:
>>>
>>> <- 235 2.7.0 LOGIN authentication successful.
>>> -> MAIL FROM:<root@*mycomputer*.domain>
>>> <** 550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed
>>> -> QUIT
>>> <- 221 2.3.0 Bye received. Goodbye.
>>>
>>> I understand that my ISP is trying to validate me as a source but am not
>>> sure what to do to fix it.
>>>
>> Host-not-in-DNS means that you have no valid DNS name and when
>> destination mail system is doing DNS lookup can not verify you, thus
>> rejecting emails from this source.
>> Provide valid entry in dns for your mail server and then it should work.
>> - --
>>
> On 24/09/10 15:41, Gary Roach wrote:
> I got that a valid DNS name isn't present. What do I do about it. Does
> this mean that I need to submit something to my ISP or use one of my
> existing email accounts for a name or stick in something from the
> returns I get from running host. I know what them problem is. I just
> don't know how to fix it. I use Verizon Fios with an M1424WR router if
> that is any help.
>
> Gary R.

What does it mean is you have to provide name of your mail server into
DNS schema. Basically you have to register your own domain and then
point it into your server, it'll be a good idea if you'll put there an
rDNS record as well as some mail systems are not accepting emails from
system which have no rDNS set up.

- --

|_|0|_| |
|_|_|0| "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam" |
|0|0|0| -------- kuLa --------- |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0xC100B4CA

Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Phil Requirements

On 2010-09-24 07:41:45 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:
> I got that a valid DNS name isn't present. What do I do about it.
> Does this mean that I need to submit something to my ISP or use one
> of my existing email accounts for a name or stick in something from
> the returns I get from running host. I know what them problem is. I
> just don't know how to fix it. I use Verizon Fios with an M1424WR
> router if that is any help.
>
> Gary R.

Gary,

I understand you are setting up a LAMP server. My question is,
are you doing this from home? Are you using your normal residential
internet service to accomplish this task? Or do you have a server
located in some facility with an ISP, or is it a virtual server?

Either way, probably the easiest way to get Exim4 to send mails
is to send them through a smarthost. Rather than having Exim4 send
mail directly, it just relays them to your ISP's mail server, which
then does the work of delivering them.

The benefit of this approach is that ISP mail servers are generally
trusted, whereas random small mail servers are not trusted, for good
reason.

The way I accomplished this was to use the Exim4 automatic configurator
as much as possible:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

The first question is where you say you're going to use a smarthost.
The following questions are also important. Try to make sense of
what they are asking, and answer appropriately.

To be able to send mail through your ISP's mail server, you need
to know:

* the name of the mail server
* a valid user name
* the user's password

In my case I had to manually enter that information. I didn't know
exactly how to do it, so I consulted the man page for exim4 config files:

man exim4-config_files

Reading that, I found out that I need to put my information into
/etc/exim4/passwd.client, and the format was like this:

mail.myisp.com:myuser:mypassword

...where "mail.myisp.com" is the name of your ISP's mail server that
you're allowed to use, "myuser" is your user name with the ISP, and
"mypassword" is the password of the user.

That is a very quick overview of how my machine sends emails.
If you have not already tried this approach (sending through a
smarthost), it might be something to try.

An alternate to this approach is what someone else suggested:
you purchase a domain name and set yourself up as a full-on
mail server. That is probably overkill for what you want to do.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Joe

I got that a valid DNS name isn't present. What do I do about it. Does
this mean that I need to submit something to my ISP or use one of my
existing email accounts for a name or stick in something from the
returns I get from running host. I know what them problem is. I just
don't know how to fix it. I use Verizon Fios with an M1424WR router if
that is any help.

Gary R.

What does it mean is you have to provide name of your mail server into
DNS schema. Basically you have to register your own domain and then
point it into your server, it'll be a good idea if you'll put there an
rDNS record as well as some mail systems are not accepting emails from
system which have no rDNS set up.

I'd suspect that almost no mail servers will accept mail from a sender
without a valid rDNS.

Exim4 when receiving mail has these default requirements for a mail
server sending to it (when it has a local DNS server, and minimaldns has
not been configured true):

- A valid hostname for the public IP address as found from the reverse
DNS lookup, which is the DNS PTR record which your ISP maintains. You
generally cannot alter this directly, but a business ISP should adjust
it to what you want, or at the very least, provide a non-generic PTR for
its own domain. 'Generic' PTRs are those which are basically disguised
IP addresses, issued for dynamic IP addresses, such as
pool-12-34-56-78.isp.net. Any of the many DNS testing websites will show
you your current PTR.

- A DNS A record corresponding to this hostname which points back to the
IP address, which your domain host maintains. You may have a web control
panel for your domain which allows you to make A records.

- A mail server HELO string which is resolvable in public DNS. Just a
domain name will do, and it doesn't have to match the PTR/A record pair.
Exim4 will make up a reasonable HELO, or you can set it explicitly with a

primary_hostname = mail.domain.com (or just domain.com)
directive in the Main Configuration section of exim4.conf.template
(assuming you're using a single configuration file, otherwise it goes in
the conf.d/01_.... file. There must be a public A record corresponding
to this hostname or domain name.

The policies of a mail server depend entirely on the admin staff at any
domain, so there are no definite rules. I use exim4, so I enforce these
three rules, along with a few others. I don't send using a smarthost, so
I can't help with that side of the configuration, but a smarthost which
uses authentication should generally not impose any other restrictions,
as the only authenticated users are its own paying customers. The best
idea here is to ask your smarthost admin staff what requirements they have.

Allegedly, some domains require that your sending domain MX record
matches the PTR and/or HELO, but that's just plain daft. The three
conditions above satisfy AOL, and their mail server policy is quite
picky. The complementary PTR/A requirement will kill nearly all spam and
malware from compromised home PCs, which generally have dynamic IP
addresses and cannot control their DNS records, which is why many
servers demand it.

--
Joe

Archive: 4C9CFF88.4030300@jretrading.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C9CFF88.4030300@jretrading.com

Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 07:41:45 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, debian@kulisz.net wrote:

>> Host-not-in-DNS means that you have no valid DNS name and when
>> destination mail system is doing DNS lookup can not verify you, thus
>> rejecting emails from this source.
>> Provide valid entry in dns for your mail server and then it should
>> work. - --

> I got that a valid DNS name isn't present. What do I do about it. Does
> this mean that I need to submit something to my ISP or use one of my
> existing email accounts for a name or stick in something from the
> returns I get from running host. I know what them problem is. I just
> don't know how to fix it. I use Verizon Fios with an M1424WR router if
> that is any help.

I think the approach could be one of the following:

- You need "address masquerading" to hide/transform the current invalid
domain name (which exim gets by default) to a real one.

- You need to configure the web server application to send out e-mails
from a defined (valid) e-mail address.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón