Old 09-22-2010, 08:40 PM
T o n g

Default tar and --sparse

Hi,

I created a Linux system tar ball without using the --sparse switch.
The .tar.bzip2 tar ball is only of 1.5G in size. However, restoring such
tar ball into a 10G partition would fail:

Cannot write: No space left on device

It fails even if I've used the --sparse switch when restoring. 10G is
more than 6 times bigger than 1.5G. Does it really require that much of
space, or I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-09-22 22:40 +0200, T o n g wrote:

> I created a Linux system tar ball without using the --sparse switch.
> The .tar.bzip2 tar ball is only of 1.5G in size. However, restoring such
> tar ball into a 10G partition would fail:
>
> Cannot write: No space left on device
>
> It fails even if I've used the --sparse switch when restoring. 10G is
> more than 6 times bigger than 1.5G. Does it really require that much of
> space, or I'm doing something wrong.

The GNU tar documentation says this about the --sparse option:

This option is meaningful only when creating or updating archives.
It has no effect on extraction.

HTH,
Sven

Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Anand Sivaram

What is the actual size of the original file/directory before tarring?On the source side, trydu -ms <file or directory> to find out the actual size on disk. *That should be less than 10GB.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87k4mdlcjp.fsf@turtle.gmx.de

Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:40:13 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I created a Linux system tar ball without using the --sparse switch. The
> .tar.bzip2 tar ball is only of 1.5G in size. However, restoring such tar
> ball into a 10G partition would fail:
>
> Cannot write: No space left on device

(...)

Maybe a "tmpfs" limit related issue?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 AM
T o n g

Hi,

Thanks you all for the comments, which make it obligatory for me to
explain more. First, why I asked:

$ man tar | grep -i sparse
-S, --sparse
handle sparse files efficiently
--sparse-version=MAJOR[.MINOR]
set version of the sparse format to use (implies --sparse)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:59:38 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:

>> I created a Linux system tar ball without using the --sparse switch.
>> The .tar.bzip2 tar ball is only of 1.5G in size. However, restoring
>> such tar ball into a 10G partition would fail:
>>
>> Cannot write: No space left on device
>>
>> . . .
>
> The GNU tar documentation says this about the --sparse option:
>
> This option is meaningful only when creating or updating archives.
> It has no effect on extraction.

I think this explains well.

IIRC, the source is only around 3G, at most 5G, according to du output.
But it turns out I need over 15G of space to expand this 1.5G tar ball.
Sparse files are the reason.

cheers