Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Mark Goldshtein

Default Squeeze. What is current hibernation mechanism?

Hello, list!

If somebody please to explain current hibernation mechanism in
Squeeze? If there are links to web docs about all this stuff?

1. Do I need a separate unformatted partition, which size is swap + RAM amount?
2. Do I need to install an additional util and any way to configure it?
3. Something else?

Thanks in advance!

---

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 PM

You just need a SWAP that must be at least RAM size in the worst case scenarios (when RAM is almost full).-

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-
Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta (BB) <olafrv@gmail.com>
http://olafrv.googlepages.com

Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:06 AM, <olafrv@gmail.com> wrote:
> You just need a SWAP that must be at least RAM size in the worst case scenarios (when RAM is almost full).-

Thanks for quick response.
Are you sure we are talking about hibernation, not suspend to RAM?
What if RAM and swap are both almost full? Where all that data will be
placed in a case of hibernation?

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Wayne Topa

If somebody please to explain current hibernation mechanism in
Squeeze? If there are links to web docs about all this stuff?

1. Do I need a separate unformatted partition, which size is swap + RAM amount?
2. Do I need to install an additional util and any way to configure it?
3. Something else?

The answer to your question and more, if you are running Squeeze
already, is already on you system.

read /usr/share/doc/hibernate/README.gz

Wayne

Archive: 4C9A65BD.1070309@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C9A65BD.1070309@gmail.com

Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 PM
T o n g

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 00:00:40 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> If somebody please to explain current hibernation mechanism in Squeeze?
> If there are links to web docs about all this stuff?

+1, I want to know that too.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 PM

Ok, let's start from the beginning.

ACPI state number 3 = suspend to ram.

ACPI state number 4 = suspend to disk.

In kernel 2.2 and 2.4 the suspention was almost manual.

On recent kernel 2.6 all is included if your BIOS support ACPI.

Well, what I was talking before is about state 4 suspend to disk.

I said at least RAM size SWAP if your are not a SWAPPER (have always swap = zero) because your have plenty of RAM or are not having to much workload.

if not, then you must have at least a SWAP with double RAM size.

When you suspend to disk by default all is written to SWAP partition.

If you don't have enough swap hibernation would fail, maybe forcing to restart you machine.

I hope it is clearer now the matter,

Bye.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 AM
T o n g

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:23:25 -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:

>> 2. Do I need to install an additional util and any way to configure it?
>> 3. Something else?
>>

> The answer to your question and more, if you are running Squeeze
> already, is already on you system.
>
> read /usr/share/doc/hibernate/README.gz

$ ls /usr/share/doc/hibernate/README.gz
ls: cannot access /usr/share/doc/hibernate/README.gz: No such file or
directory

So the question still holds.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Miles Fidelman