Old 09-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Mark Goldshtein

Default Squeeze. What is current hibernation mechanism?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:41:18 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 00:00:40 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>>
>>> If somebody please to explain current hibernation mechanism in Squeeze?
>>> If there are links to web docs about all this stuff?
>>
>> +1, I want to know that too.
>
> What is not working for you? :-?
>
> Hibernation and suspension are sharing the same requirements than always:
>
> 1. ACPI compilant machine / devices
> 2. An OS capable to handle them (for hibernation you need a swap
> partition size with at least the same amount of your RAM)
> 3. Testing, testing, testing
> 4. A good provision of luck :-)

It is seems like I am not too good with gathering such an ephemeral
thing like a 'luck'

About 'what is not working'.
I have a NVidia videoboard:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT216
[GeForce GT 240M] [10de:0a34] (rev a2)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:38fd]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

When the system goes out from a hibernation, the backlit of notebook's
screen is not back switch on, so screen is dark and it is impossible
to work. If I use a suspend-to-ram sleeping scheme everything is fine.
So, I wonder if I misconfigured something in a hibernation scheme.

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:21:15 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Hibernation and suspension are sharing the same requirements than
>> always:
>>
>> 1. ACPI compilant machine / devices
>> 2. An OS capable to handle them (for hibernation you need a swap
>> partition size with at least the same amount of your RAM) 3. Testing,
>> testing, testing
>> 4. A good provision of luck :-)
>
> It is seems like I am not too good with gathering such an ephemeral
> thing like a 'luck'

Luck is a pretty scarce resource on these days...

> About 'what is not working'.
> I have a NVidia videoboard:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT216
> [GeForce GT 240M] [10de:0a34] (rev a2)
> Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:38fd]
> Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Which driver are you using (nouveau, nv, nvidia)? Different drivers
provide different support for resuming. Also, having 3D effects enabled
can be conflictive.

> When the system goes out from a hibernation, the backlit of notebook's
> screen is not back switch on, so screen is dark and it is impossible to
> work. If I use a suspend-to-ram sleeping scheme everything is fine. So,
> I wonder if I misconfigured something in a hibernation scheme.

There is a way for blacklisting problematic modules (meaning "disallow
them for hibernating"). Each power manager method (pm-utils, uwusup and
hibernate) uses theirown scripts for disabling/backlisting the modules.

I would recommend reading this FAQ to get a global idea about the
elements that come into play:

http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend

And also, this:

http://old-en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

Where it explains some tips to debug "pm-utils" and how to disable/
customize your own hooks.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:21:15 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> Hibernation and suspension are sharing the same requirements than
>>> always:
>>>
>>> 1. ACPI compilant machine / devices
>>> 2. An OS capable to handle them (for hibernation you need a swap
>>> partition size with at least the same amount of your RAM) 3. Testing,
>>> testing, testing
>>> 4. A good provision of luck :-)
>>
>> It is seems like I am not too good with gathering such an ephemeral
>> thing like a 'luck' *
>
> Luck is a pretty scarce resource on these days...
>
>> About 'what is not working'.
>> I have a NVidia videoboard:
>>
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT216
>> [GeForce GT 240M] [10de:0a34] (rev a2)
>> * * * Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:38fd]
>> * * * Kernel driver in use: nvidia
>
> Which driver are you using (nouveau, nv, nvidia)? Different drivers
> provide different support for resuming. Also, having 3D effects enabled
> can be conflictive.
>
>> When the system goes out from a hibernation, the backlit of notebook's
>> screen is not back switch on, so screen is dark and it is impossible to
>> work. If I use a suspend-to-ram sleeping scheme everything is fine. So,
>> I wonder if I misconfigured something in a hibernation scheme.
>
> There is a way for blacklisting problematic modules (meaning "disallow
> them for hibernating"). Each power manager method (pm-utils, uwusup and
> hibernate) uses theirown scripts for disabling/backlisting the modules.
>
> I would recommend reading this FAQ to get a global idea about the
> elements that come into play:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend
>
> And also, this:
>
> http://old-en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils
>
> Where it explains some tips to debug "pm-utils" and how to disable/
> customize your own hooks.

Thank you very much for your time and detailed explanation.

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM