Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Kent West

Default Will Multi-Monitor work with my setup?

On 09/22/2010 01:37 PM, Andreas Ronnquist wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 13:12:03 -0500
Kent West<westk@acu.edu> wrote:

Off-and-on for the past two years I've had multi-display working; for
the past year, nada. It worked until an update on my Sid box.

Since then, I've tried wiping my drive and reinstalling Stable, and
swapping out between my three available cards.

A lot of the problem is that I don't know what's the current way to do
things; I used to use Xinerama, but that's been deprecated, and the docs
I've found on xRandR don't answer the questions I have, etc. Another
part of the problem may be that I've got old video cards (but they used
to work!!!).

Hi!

I have a fully working dual-screen setup, but I am using the
closed-source binary blob, downloaded directly from Nvidia - I don't
know if that is an option for you. Also, I am on testing, and not
unstable, but the differences shouldn't be very big nowadays if I
understand things correctly.

I have an xorg.conf setup that I have used on several cards - currently
on an 7950GT, previously on an 8600gts, and if my memory serves me
well, I used it for dualscreen on my previos Geforce 4Ti also.

I attach my xorg.conf, maybe you can get something useful out of it.

xrandr -q reports only one screen, even if it is a dual screen setup:

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 2560 x 1024, maximum 2560 x 1024
default connected 2560x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
2560x1024 50.0*
1280x1024 51.0
2048x768 52.0
1024x768 53.0
1600x600 54.0
800x600 55.0
640x480 56.0

(and the frequencies all wrong).

Hope this helps somewhat. Take a look at my xorg.conf and you might get
something useful out of it.

best regards

No; I tried copying/pasting some of your config into mine (making
necessary changes, as far as I can tell), but I can't even get X to
start with that config.

Now that I'm responding to your post, I almost have a vague recollection
of seeing somewhere that the current X drivers no longer support more
than one video card, so it may be that I'll have to replace my two cards
with a single dual-head card in order to get multi-display support back.
If that's true, it frustrates me, because it seems like Debian thus is
losing capability. (Although I fully understand the need to sometimes
just "cut the cord" on old legacy technology.)

But it does help that you told me that xrandr -q only reports one screen
even in a dual-screen setup. Thanks!

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Archive: 4C9A592A.1020000@acu.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4C9A592A.1020000@acu.edu

Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Dan Serban

Off-and-on for the past two years I've had multi-display working; for
the past year, nada. It worked until an update on my Sid box.

Since then, I've tried wiping my drive and reinstalling Stable, and
swapping out between my three available cards.

A lot of the problem is that I don't know what's the current way to do
things; I used to use Xinerama, but that's been deprecated, and the
docs I've found on xRandR don't answer the questions I have, etc.
Another part of the problem may be that I've got old video cards (but
they used to work!!!).

Here's what I've got:

westk@westek:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce
6150] (rev a2)
04:06.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4
MX 4000] (rev c1)

I've tried every variation of xorg.conf I can think of (nv, vesa,
nouveau as the drivers; blacklisting nouveau in
/etc/modules/blacklist; Xinerama on; Xinerama off; etc etc etc), and I
get one of four results:

* first monitor displays a working X session (at various resolution
capabilities, depending on the driver used) and the second monitor
stays dark

* first monitor displays a working X session (at various resolution
capabilities, depending on the driver used) and the second monitor
shows the video card's splash screen but doesn't participate otherwise
as an X screen.

* same as above until I open an app a half minute after the screen
appears (or maybe it's just a half-minute after the screen appears)
and the machine locks up hard (at console; I can still get to it via
ssh usually)

* the machine locks up hard before an X screen shows (at console - I
can still get to it via ssh usually)

Can anyone give me a definitive answer that this hardware will work in
multi-display format?

Based from recent experience, yes, this is completely attainable with
your hardware. Though you are stuck using the provided binary blob.
With no Xrandr support. I am successfully running a Geforce 7200 pci-e
card with dual vga outputs along with a Geforce 6200 pci card. The
trick is ensuring that your cards are in the same "generation" and
you'll have to install the legacy drivers and you should have no problems.

From asking around, and reading the pertinent documentation I have
found out that nv, is unable to support this setup and that nouveau is
not designed to do it either.

To shortcut your issue, I'd maybe look at an older Geforce cards with
dual outputs on ebay or something similar, locally I can pick up a 6000
series for dual head mode for less than $20.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer how to make it work?

Well I can provide the xorg.conf file, but you won't necessarily learn
much from it as it was purely generated by the nvidia-settings program.
It just got it right for me, this is after 10 or so attempts to do it by
hand, which was mostly successful, but my screen numbering always turned
out wrong, and as I am using a tiled window manager, this was a big
hassle for me.

Try the nvidia-settings config first, if it doesn't work for you I can
post my config.

When I get the first monitor working, I can run "xrandr -1", and the
screen goes blank for 3 or 5 seconds, and then reports:

westk@westek:~$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA-1 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 338mm x 270mm

1280x1024 60.0*+ 75.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.1 60.0
800x600 75.0 60.3
640x480 75.0 60.0
720x400 70.1
DVI-D-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
TV-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

As far as I can tell, xrandr only sees one card, only sees one monitor.

Thanks for any help!

Hope you get 'er rolling.

PS. I can still get my tdfx pci card still working along side these two
others for a 5 monitor setup, I'd do it if I had the physical desk space .