Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Carlos Mennens

Default Restarting Networking in Debian

What is the deal now with 'restarting' networking services in Debian 5
& Squeeze? I use to be able to run the command:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Now when I do so in Debian, I get a strange error:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

Not to mention any changes I made to my static IP address in
'/etc/network/interfaces' didn't take effect which leads me to believe
the command I ran above didn't restart the network daemon or is not
forcing it to look for changes.

I asked on the forums and I can't get a straight answer as to what is
the official command in Debian to restart the networking daemon? There
can't be six different answers and someone on the dev team has to have
a official correct command to do something as simple as restarting
networking.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:41:31 -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:

> What is the deal now with 'restarting' networking services in Debian 5 &
> Squeeze? I use to be able to run the command:
>
> /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> Now when I do so in Debian, I get a strange error:
>
> Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not
> enable again some interfaces ... (warning). Reconfiguring network
> interfaces...done.

Yep, I noticed in Squeeze yesterday.

> Not to mention any changes I made to my static IP address in
> '/etc/network/interfaces' didn't take effect which leads me to believe
> the command I ran above didn't restart the network daemon or is not
> forcing it to look for changes.
>
> I asked on the forums and I can't get a straight answer as to what is
> the official command in Debian to restart the networking daemon? There
> can't be six different answers and someone on the dev team has to have a
> official correct command to do something as simple as restarting
> networking.

The only two available options seem to be "stop|start", so...

/etc/init.d/networking stop && /etc/init.d/networking start

...should do the trick.

It would be nice to know the reason for the "restart" deprecation, though.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Wayne Topa

What is the deal now with 'restarting' networking services in Debian 5
& Squeeze? I use to be able to run the command:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Now when I do so in Debian, I get a strange error:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

It has been discussed here before. You might want to go, as many do,
to the list archives for the complete story. Google would have found

your answer as well

invoke-rc.d networking restart

apt-cache search invoke-rc.d
/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d

dpkg -S /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d
sysv-rc

dpkg -l sysv-rc
ii sysv-rd 2.88dsf-12 System-V-like runlevel change mechanism

Wayne

Archive: 4C9A383D.7000208@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C9A383D.7000208@gmail.com

Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Kent West

What is the deal now with 'restarting' networking services in Debian 5
& Squeeze? I use to be able to run the command:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Now when I do so in Debian, I get a strange error:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

It has been discussed here before. You might want to go, as many do,
to the list archives for the complete story. Google would have found

your answer as well

invoke-rc.d networking restart

But I'm glad it was asked here. I had noticed the same behavior several
months ago, but just worked around it. I'm glad to see an answer fly by
me when I wasn't looking for it.

However, when I run this command:

westk@westek:~$ sudo invoke-rc.d networking restart
[sudo] password for westk:
Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).

Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

Seems like we still get a deprecation message.

And, I'm still curious about why the change, and why when something is
deprecated, the coders will bother to say the instruction is deprecated
but don't give any clue as to what to use instead.

I also found the /etc/init.d/foo method to be semi-intuitive, in that
you just had to look in /etc/init.d to see what scripts were available
to run. How am I supposed to know what to feed to invoke-rc.d? Does this
take the same scripts in /etc/init.d/ as its parameter? And lastly, a
".d" at the end of a name makes me think of a directory rather than an
executable; whereas I can see that the name of this executable refers to
the scripts in a rc.d directory perhaps, it's not an intuitive thing, to
me at least.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Archive: 4C9A4932.8050703@acu.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4C9A4932.8050703@acu.edu

Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Wayne Topa

[...]

I forgot to mention, my bad, that I am running testing and Sid.

And, I'm still curious about why the change, and why when something is
deprecated, the coders will bother to say the instruction is deprecated
but don't give any clue as to what to use instead.

I assume you are running lenny. I don't know if it, sysv-rc, is the
same as in testing/Sid. Do have svsv-re Version 288dsf-12?

In /etc/apt/sources.list I have unstable, testing, stable respositories,
in that order. I just a while ago did an aptitude update/dist-upgrade.

Version: 2.86.ds1-61

What you have in /etc/apt/sources.list does not mean you are running all
of them! What does 'less /etc/debian_version' return? That will tell
you which version your running.

Have you read the sysv-rc doc's? The man page and the
README-sysv-rc.d.gz has some useful information.

No, that was my bad. I was just responding off-the-cuff to this thread.
I saw what you had written, tried it, got the deprecation message still,
ran "invoke-rc.d -?" (man, that name is hard to remember and to type)
and just responded to that help screen instead of going to the man pages
like I should have done. (I'm just irritable that I haven't been able to
get dual-monitor working again on my box for the past year since an
upgrade, and am frustrated that things are less intuitive than they
could be. But that's a selfish thing in me; I should be grateful to the
devs for providing us a better OS in so many ways than what the rest of
the world uses.)

Reading the man page, I see that invoke-rc.d (have I mentioned that's
hard to remember and type?) is just an extra layer between the admin and
the running of the /etc/init.d/ scripts, for the purpose of sanity
checks mostly (don't start a daemon during an upgrade if you're not in
the proper run-level, etc). I assume one of those things that this extra
level would do is check which network adapters should be activated and
which should not, a process that would not occur if you simply ran
"/etc/init.d/networking restart". It adds some complexity, but I can see
the value in that complexity.

The only remaining issue then is why I'm still getting the deprecation
message.

Because I suppose you are running lenny. If so, you will really have a
mess on your hands if you continue haveing the Squeeze (testing) and Sid
sources in your sources.list. When Squeeze goes to stable 'that's' when
you will have to add the squeeze sources. Instead you could put
backports in your sources.list. One last suggestion. Install the
debian-reference package now and get acquainted with it. You will learn
a lot more about Debian there than any other single source of information.

Perhaps it is simply a leftover in an older version of sysv-rc

than what you're running. (But then that introduces on more "only"
remaining question; if we're both running sid, why do I have an older
version than you have?) (I'm not really looking for answers at the
moment; it's more of a slight curiosity right now.)

Are you new to this list? We had a Kent West here for the last 5-6
years so I assumed that's how you were. The reason I ask is that he
would know that we do not reply to the sender of messages, we reply to
the list! That way everyone gets to see how to fix problems. Please
remember that in the future.

I am sending this back to the list.

Wayne

Archive: 4C9A6406.3090505@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C9A6406.3090505@gmail.com

Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Kent West

I assume you are running lenny. I don't know if it, sysv-rc, is the
same as in testing/Sid. Do have svsv-re Version 288dsf-12?

In /etc/apt/sources.list I have unstable, testing, stable respositories,
in that order. I just a while ago did an aptitude update/dist-upgrade.

Version: 2.86.ds1-61

What you have in /etc/apt/sources.list does not mean you are running
all of them! What does 'less /etc/debian_version' return? That will
tell you which version your running.

westk@westek:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
squeeze/sid

Are you new to this list?

No.

We had a Kent West here for the last 5-6 years so I assumed that's how
you were.

Yep. That's me.

The reason I ask is that he would know that we do not reply to the
sender of messages, we reply to the list! That way everyone gets to
see how to fix problems. Please remember that in the future.

I am sending this back to the list.

Sorry; apparently "Reply to list" in Icedove 3.0.8 actually means "reply
to sender", and I didn't catch that until just now.

I'm having to manually change the addressee from Wayne Topa
<linuxtwo@gmail.com> to debian-user@lists.debian.org if I use the "Reply
to List" or "Reply to All" option (the latter of which only puts your
address and not the list's). I'm assuming that's a bug in this version
of Iceweasel.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Archive: 4C9A6EA7.7010200@acu.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4C9A6EA7.7010200@acu.edu

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Kent West

The reason I ask is that he would know that we do not reply to the
sender of messages, we reply to the list! That way everyone gets to
see how to fix problems. Please remember that in the future.

I am sending this back to the list.

Sorry; apparently "Reply to list" in Icedove 3.0.8 actually means
"reply to sender", and I didn't catch that until just now.

I'm having to manually change the addressee from Wayne Topa
<linuxtwo@gmail.com> to debian-user@lists.debian.org if I use the
"Reply to List" or "Reply to All" option (the latter of which only
puts your address and not the list's). I'm assuming that's a bug in
this version of Iceweasel.

Nope, never mind on that. After I sent it, I found a second message from
you, indentical to the first, from the list instead of from you.
Iceweasel handles that one properly.

I guess I just failed to hit "Reply to list" on my first reply; my bad.
Sorry.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Archive: 4C9A6F16.5040705@acu.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4C9A6F16.5040705@acu.edu

Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Wayne Topa

The reason I ask is that he would know that we do not reply to the
sender of messages, we reply to the list! That way everyone gets to
see how to fix problems. Please remember that in the future.

I am sending this back to the list.

Sorry; apparently "Reply to list" in Icedove 3.0.8 actually means
"reply to sender", and I didn't catch that until just now.

You have icedove v3.0.8 from Sid but not the sysv-rc v288dsf-12 which
is in both squeeze and Sid. I wonder why?

I don't get the error messages from invoke-rc.d that you do.

Nope, never mind on that. After I sent it, I found a second message from
you, indentical to the first, from the list instead of from you.
Iceweasel handles that one properly.

I guess I just failed to hit "Reply to list" on my first reply; my bad.

No Problem. Just me assuming too much, as Usual. :-(

Wayne

Archive: 4C9A76E8.2000403@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C9A76E8.2000403@gmail.com

Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-09-22, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only two available options seem to be "stop|start", so...
>
> /etc/init.d/networking stop && /etc/init.d/networking start
>
> ...should do the trick.
>
> It would be nice to know the reason for the "restart" deprecation, though.

Looking at the changelog for the netbase package, it seems that the warning
was introduced to address bug 550240[1].

1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550240

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:44:01 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> On 2010-09-22, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> The only two available options seem to be "stop|start", so...
>>
>> /etc/init.d/networking stop && /etc/init.d/networking start
>>
>> ...should do the trick.
>>
>> It would be nice to know the reason for the "restart" deprecation,
>> though.
>>

> Looking at the changelog for the netbase package, it seems that the
> warning was introduced to address bug 550240[1].
>
> 1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550240

Thanks :-)

But the explanation is a bit "ethereous":

* Made the init script warn that using the force-reload and restart
parameters is not a good idea. (Closes: #550240)

Okay, "force-reload" and "restart" should be avoided (they're "weak").
So, the next logical question is, how one safely restarts the network
service? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón