-   -   installing a kernel on other than the current partition (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/430400-installing-kernel-other-than-current-partition.html)

Hugo Vanwoerkom 09-22-2010 03:39 PM

installing a kernel on other than the current partition

Hi,

I may be all wet on this, but anyway:

I have an exterior disk attached to my laptop from another system.

On that disk I booted successfully a partition that has Debian kernel
2.6.32 installed on it.

But I want to boot yet another partition that has my homegrown kernel on
it. It won't boot because of the kernel CPU parameters that have 3dnow
and that will not boot on this laptop.

So I want to install a Debian kernel on that unbootable partition. But
how to install a kernel on a partition that is not booted? With chroot?
Is that ever done?

I can copy files over but how to run initramfs?

The 2 systems are Sid and similar except for a dist-upgrade.

Thanks

Hugo

Archive: i7d7v1$3ka$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i7d7v1$3ka$1@dough.gmane.org

Timo Juhani Lindfors 09-22-2010 04:28 PM

Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> writes:
> So I want to install a Debian kernel on that unbootable partition. But
> how to install a kernel on a partition that is not booted? With
> chroot? Is that ever done?

I've done it with chroot a few times. Should work generally just fine.

If you are really desperate, boot it with qemu and install the package
there.

Hugo Vanwoerkom 09-22-2010 06:14 PM

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> writes:

So I want to install a Debian kernel on that unbootable partition. But
how to install a kernel on a partition that is not booted? With
chroot? Is that ever done?

I've done it with chroot a few times. Should work generally just fine.

If you are really desperate, boot it with qemu and install the package
there.

I hadn' t thought of using qemu. Interesting. Thanks

Hugo