Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Dan Serban

Default OpenIPMI in Lenny is mysterious to me.

Hello list,

I am admittedly hopelessly noob with IPMI, though I don't think I'm too
noob with Linux in general, I apologise if any of my questions are
elementary. I've googled this ad nauseum so I've come here for some
help with this.

After installing ipmitool and openipmi in Lenny I am faced with a
perplexing issue. From the get-go, I could not achieve the results I
was seeking.

Time to start ipmi:

# modprobe -a ipmi-si ipmi-devintf

which results with the following STDERR:

WARNING: Error inserting ipmi_devintf
(/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_devintf.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Then, in dmesg I see this:

[1012115.045436] ipmi message handler version 39.2
[1012115.048311] IPMI System Interface driver.
[1012115.048315] ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine at
i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
[1012115.227703] ipmi: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x000157, prod_id:
0x003e, dev_id: 0x21)

[1012115.227703] IPMI kcs interface initialized
[1012115.235704] ipmi_devintf: Unknown symbol compat_alloc_user_space

# lsmod|grep ipmi returns:

ipmi_si 43628 0
ipmi_msghandler 38520 1 ipmi_si

It looks like ipmi_devintf doesn't get loaded and from what I've seen in
the scarce examples that I've found, it should be loaded in order for
IPMI to function, as it creates the related device under /dev.

Running ipmitool to test functionality returns this:

# ipmitool sdr
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
such file or directory

Get Device ID command failed
Unable to open SDR for reading

At this point, I sit confused, as the documentation is sparse and I'm
unsure if this is a problem with hardware detection that the module is
attempting to run the ipmi layer on or if there is a problem with the
kernel in Lenny. Though, I'm surprised that the keywords "debian ipmi"
and "lenny ipmi" returns almost nothing useful or relevant in google.

Oh I suppose I should shoot out some facts:

Running Debian Lenny amd64, on an Intel S5520HCR motherboard.

If anyone has any experience with ipmi, I would certainly appreciate
some feedback.

TIA.

Archive: 4C99C449.209@lodgingcompany.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C99C449.209@lodgingcompany.com

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 22/09/10 18:54, Dan Serban wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am admittedly hopelessly noob with IPMI, though I don't think I'm too
> noob with Linux in general, I apologise if any of my questions are
> elementary. I've googled this ad nauseum so I've come here for some
> help with this.
>
> After installing ipmitool and openipmi in Lenny I am faced with a
> perplexing issue. From the get-go, I could not achieve the results I
> was seeking.
> Time to start ipmi:
>
> # modprobe -a ipmi-si ipmi-devintf
>
> which results with the following STDERR:
>
> WARNING: Error inserting ipmi_devintf
> (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_devintf.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> Then, in dmesg I see this:
>
> [1012115.045436] ipmi message handler version 39.2
> [1012115.048311] IPMI System Interface driver.
> [1012115.048315] ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine at
> i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
> [1012115.227703] ipmi: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x000157, prod_id:
> 0x003e, dev_id: 0x21)
> [1012115.227703] IPMI kcs interface initialized
> [1012115.235704] ipmi_devintf: Unknown symbol compat_alloc_user_space
>
> # lsmod|grep ipmi returns:
>
> ipmi_si 43628 0
> ipmi_msghandler 38520 1 ipmi_si
>
> It looks like ipmi_devintf doesn't get loaded and from what I've seen in
> the scarce examples that I've found, it should be loaded in order for
> IPMI to function, as it creates the related device under /dev.
>
> Running ipmitool to test functionality returns this:
>
> # ipmitool sdr
> Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
> such file or directory
> Get Device ID command failed
> Unable to open SDR for reading
>
> At this point, I sit confused, as the documentation is sparse and I'm
> unsure if this is a problem with hardware detection that the module is
> attempting to run the ipmi layer on or if there is a problem with the
> kernel in Lenny. Though, I'm surprised that the keywords "debian ipmi"
> and "lenny ipmi" returns almost nothing useful or relevant in google.
>
> Oh I suppose I should shoot out some facts:
>
> Running Debian Lenny amd64, on an Intel S5520HCR motherboard.
>
> If anyone has any experience with ipmi, I would certainly appreciate
> some feedback.
>
> TIA.

No recent experience - and none configuring or installing it (IBM
in-house system) - so if that doesn't qualify, read no further.

My first thought would be to try load the modules separately:-
#modprobe ipmi-si
#dmesg | tail
#modprobe ipmi-devintf
etc.. for more clues
also try the same approach with the --show-depends or -f if you're game.

Have you been through the IBM documentation?

I'm presuming you've been through the projects bug tracker
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=36127&atid=416298)
and support requests for clues (also see their forums)
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=36127&atid=416299)

By sparse documentation are you referring to the man or the projects
pdf? IBM have/had a lot of documentation - don't know how much is
available online (I don't have Red Book access here).

Cheers

--
*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Sorry for top post, I'm on a mobile.

My experience is with HP Proliant G4 and G5 servers. In the G4 seriers IMPI compatible HW interface is not present on the BIOS then also not present in operating system.

While in G5 servers, in the BIOS you can active the "Health Interface" and it is detected by the devintf kernel module.

To use the MPI devintf module (I'm almost sure) you have to be sure that in your BIOS is present a compatible IMPI interface for monitoring low level system resources.

Bye.

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-
Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta (BB) <olafrv@gmail.com>
http://olafrv.googlepages.com

Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Dan Serban wrote:
> [1012115.235704] ipmi_devintf: Unknown symbol compat_alloc_user_space

This module and the running kernel are not compatible with each other.

The CVE-2010-3081 fixes added to every distro kernel (and also to the latest
stable kernels) changed the internal API and ABI. Anything that uses
compat_alloc_user_space() needs to be recompiled, possibly with some source
fixes (header file moved from "asm/compat.h" to "linux/compat.h").

Henrique Holschuh

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Dan Serban

which results with the following STDERR:

WARNING: Error inserting ipmi_devintf
(/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_devintf.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Then, in dmesg I see this:

[1012115.045436] ipmi message handler version 39.2
[1012115.048311] IPMI System Interface driver.
[1012115.048315] ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine at
i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
[1012115.227703] ipmi: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x000157, prod_id:
0x003e, dev_id: 0x21)
[1012115.227703] IPMI kcs interface initialized
[1012115.235704] ipmi_devintf: Unknown symbol compat_alloc_user_space

# lsmod|grep ipmi returns:

ipmi_si 43628 0
ipmi_msghandler 38520 1 ipmi_si

<snip>

If anyone has any experience with ipmi, I would certainly appreciate
some feedback.

TIA.

No recent experience - and none configuring or installing it (IBM
in-house system) - so if that doesn't qualify, read no further.

Never, input is always appreciated.

My first thought would be to try load the modules separately:-
#modprobe ipmi-si
#dmesg | tail
#modprobe ipmi-devintf
etc.. for more clues
also try the same approach with the --show-depends or -f if you're game.

It seems that from another reply, it's the kernel I run, though I have
tried inserting the modules in a different sequence seperately, I put
the example in as I did simply for brevity, as I'm sure you can tell, I
can get log winded. And again, same results.

Have you been through the IBM documentation?

No, but I've muddled through the intel documentation, it's excessive for
a user. I do enjoy the IBM side of things, although a complete tangent
now, I wish I had gone with them on my last server hardware purchase.
I've RMA'd almost everything I've purchased from intel.

I'm presuming you've been through the projects bug tracker
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=36127&atid=416298)
and support requests for clues (also see their forums)
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=36127&atid=416299)

By sparse documentation are you referring to the man or the projects
pdf? IBM have/had a lot of documentation - don't know how much is
available online (I don't have Red Book access here).

Cheers

And yes, I've been through the BTS, nothing hits on the exact error or
anything similar. When I was talking about documentation, I was
referring to both man pages and examples, and not the spec. As one who
hasn't delved deep into ipmi, all I had to really go from was the
Documentation/ipmi.txt included with the kernel source which described
linux's implementation of the standard. Which, in turn did not suggest
anything close to my problem. As I understand it now, it doesn't need
to as the kernel itself (as packaged for lenny) is now broken, but at
the time that I wrote my OP, I was extremely lost as to what to look for.

Thanks.