Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 AM
polloxx

Default Strange behaviour in Debian Lenny

Dear,

I have a strange behaviour in Debian Lenny.
In /etc/rc2.d (default runlevel), some startup scripts run tice when
booting.

I've made a test script in /etc/init.d/echo.sh like:

#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Deferred execution scheduler
# scheduler
### END INIT INFO

echo "xxx" >> /home/me/text

With a softlink:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2010-08-10 13:55 S30echo.sh ->
../init.d/echo.sh

The file /home/me/text exists and is empty.
When I reboot the system /home/me/text looks like:

xxx
xxx

So, the script runs twice. Any explanation for that?

P.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 22/09/10 17:35, polloxx wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I have a strange behaviour in Debian Lenny.
> In /etc/rc2.d (default runlevel), some startup scripts run tice when
> booting.
>
> I've made a test script in /etc/init.d/echo.sh like:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides:
> # Required-Start:
> # Required-Stop:
> # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
> # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
> # Short-Description: Deferred execution scheduler
> # scheduler
> ### END INIT INFO
>
> echo "xxx" >> /home/me/text
>
> With a softlink:
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2010-08-10 13:55 S30echo.sh ->
> ../init.d/echo.sh
>
> The file /home/me/text exists and is empty.
> When I reboot the system /home/me/text looks like:
>
> xxx
> xxx
>
> So, the script runs twice. Any explanation for that?
>
> P.

"If" the script is run twice.... whack a timestamp in and see what it says.
Do you have insserv installed??

Cheers

--
*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 AM
polloxx

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/09/10 17:35, polloxx wrote:
>> Dear,
>>
>> I have a strange behaviour in Debian Lenny.
>> In /etc/rc2.d (default runlevel), some startup scripts run tice when
>> booting.
>>
>> I've made a test script in /etc/init.d/echo.sh like:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
>> # Provides:
>> # Required-Start:
>> # Required-Stop:
>> # Default-Start: * * 2 3 4 5
>> # Default-Stop: * * *0 1 6
>> # Short-Description: Deferred execution scheduler
>> # * * * * * * * * * *scheduler
>> ### END INIT INFO
>>
>> echo "xxx" >> /home/me/text
>>
>> With a softlink:
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root *17 2010-08-10 13:55 S30echo.sh ->
>> ../init.d/echo.sh
>>
>> The file /home/me/text exists and is empty.
>> When I reboot the system /home/me/text looks like:
>>
>> xxx
>> xxx
>>
>> So, the script runs twice. Any explanation for that?
>>
>> P.
>>

> "If" the script is run twice.... whack a timestamp in and see what it says.

The result is:

Wed Sep 22 12:15:44 CEST 2010
Wed Sep 22 12:16:52 CEST 2010

> Do you have insserv installed??

No.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 22/09/10 20:26, polloxx wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 22/09/10 17:35, polloxx wrote:
>>> Dear,
>>>
>>> I have a strange behaviour in Debian Lenny.
>>> In /etc/rc2.d (default runlevel), some startup scripts run tice when
>>> booting.

</snip>

>> "If" the script is run twice.... whack a timestamp in and see what it says.
>
> The result is:
>
> Wed Sep 22 12:15:44 CEST 2010
> Wed Sep 22 12:16:52 CEST 2010
>

>> Do you have insserv installed??
>>

> No.

K. So some scripts "do" run twice. (1x1)
Give me half an hour or so to finish dinner and have a dig through my
old boot timing logs. I've seen something similar when I was working on
making a laptop boot up faster.... turned out it was normal. Just need
to check whether it is the same scripts running twice.

Cheers
--
*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 22/09/10 20:26, polloxx wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 22/09/10 17:35, polloxx wrote:
>>> Dear,
>>>
>>> I have a strange behaviour in Debian Lenny.
>>> In /etc/rc2.d (default runlevel), some startup scripts run tice when
>>> booting.

</snip>

Mea culpa - I may have given you bum steer earlier. I managed to locate
boottimes05 chart but can see no duplicated services in it - (though I
would have fixed those in runs 00 through 02), *and* those charts were
done with Debian4 :-(

I "think" one of the scripts that was run twice was hwclocksomething.

I used boottimes (pulled from Xandros), though Lenny provides bootchart
which has similar functionality, and should allow you to (at least) find
the duplicated services a little easier than digging through run levels.

Cheers

--
*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Simon Brandmair

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:40:02 +0200 polloxx wrote:

> I have a strange behaviour in Debian Lenny. In /etc/rc2.d (default
> runlevel), some startup scripts run tice when booting.
>
> I've made a test script in /etc/init.d/echo.sh like:
[...]
> So, the script runs twice. Any explanation for that?

Wild guess: There is also a symlink in /etc/rc6.d, so when rebooting the
script is in fact run twice: once from /etc/rc6.d, once from /etc/rc2.d.

Cheers,
Simon

Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 AM
polloxx

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Simon Brandmair <sbrandmair@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:40:02 +0200 polloxx wrote:
>>
>> I have a strange behaviour in Debian Lenny. In /etc/rc2.d (default
>> runlevel), some startup scripts run tice when booting.
>>
>> I've made a test script in /etc/init.d/echo.sh like:
> [...]
>>
>> So, the script runs twice. Any explanation for that?
>
> Wild guess: There is also a symlink in /etc/rc6.d, so when rebooting the
> script is in fact run twice: once from /etc/rc6.d, once from /etc/rc2.d.

You were correct. I don't know how the symlink got there. Anyway,
deleting it solved the mystery.
Thanks.

P.