Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 AM
T o n g

Default directly install RH packages using rpm instead of alien

Hi,

We all know that,

,-----
| On Debian and derived systems it is recommended to use "alien" to
| convert RPM packages into .deb format instead of bypassing the Debian
| package management system by installing them directly with rpm.
`-----

However, I'm wondering if it OK to install RH packages directly using rpm
instead of going through alien convention.

The reason that I'm asking is that,

- I'm installing a preparatory sw. It is only available in RH/Suse rpm
packages.
- There is a complicated installation script (think of being more
complicated than VMWare), and rpm installation is just one of its single
line.
- The only dependencies of the sw is actually JRE, so I'm hope I would
avoid the infamous RH dependency hell.

But there is still one dependency there, and I don't know how to satisfy
that.

Do you have any similar experiences?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 04:16:55 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> We all know that,
>
> ,-----
> | On Debian and derived systems it is recommended to use "alien" to |
> convert RPM packages into .deb format instead of bypassing the Debian |
> package management system by installing them directly with rpm. `-----
>
> However, I'm wondering if it OK to install RH packages directly using
> rpm instead of going through alien convention.

(...)

Smart package manager¹ was developed having that in mind, but I think
there is no direct (and clean) way to install rpm on deb systems (and
viceversa), so, why not follow the "alien" path being the recommended
one? :-?

¹ Does Smart's wide support for packaging systems mean I can install .rpm
packages on my Debian system? Or .deb packages on my RPM-based system?
http://labix.org/smart/faq#head-15e431ff69330db0ad3f078e2139c58ba7b00a4b

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Berni Elbourn

T o n g wrote:
Hi,

We all know that,

,-----
| On Debian and derived systems it is recommended to use "alien" to
| convert RPM packages into .deb format instead of bypassing the Debian
| package management system by installing them directly with rpm.
`-----

However, I'm wondering if it OK to install RH packages directly using rpm
instead of going through alien convention.

The reason that I'm asking is that,

- I'm installing a preparatory sw. It is only available in RH/Suse rpm
packages.
- There is a complicated installation script (think of being more
complicated than VMWare), and rpm installation is just one of its single
line.
- The only dependencies of the sw is actually JRE, so I'm hope I would
avoid the infamous RH dependency hell.

But there is still one dependency there, and I don't know how to satisfy
that.

Do you have any similar experiences?

Thanks

Yes - don't do it. ;-)

Consider putting the application in a virtual machine, or asking the supplier
for a proper Debian port?

Berni

Archive: 4C99B25B.7000708@elbournb.fsnet.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C99B25B.7000708@elbournb.fsnet.co.uk

Old 09-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Arthur Machlas

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:16 PM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> However, I'm wondering if it OK to install RH packages directly using rpm
> instead of going through alien convention.
> Do you have any similar experiences?

Yes, one time my girlfriend put diesel into our gasoline powered car.
I didn't think this was possible, but she managed to find a way.
Regardless of whether you can or cannot do the same with your car, I
would advise against it. The results were not pretty.

Best,
AM

Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 AM
T o n g

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 04:16:55 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> - There is a complicated installation script (think of being more
> complicated than VMWare), and rpm installation is just one of its single
> line.
> - The only dependencies of the sw is actually JRE, so I'm hope I would
> avoid the infamous RH dependency hell.

JFTA, I would rather not poke into the complicated installation script,
so I bite the bullet and did the rpm installation...

And it turns out fine.