Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Default Re (2): configuration of subordinate interface in a bridge; was Linux hub

From: Jesus_M. Navarro <jesus.navarro@undominio.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 05:42:40 +0200
> What you need it[an address on dalton:eth1] for? You expect dalton's eth1 to be
> connected with nothing but carnot by means of a cross-over cable and the
> bridge will already give you IP connectivity between them so no need for
> anything else.

Certainly that is sensible. I was distracted by
http://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections
where eth0 and eth1 are both configured before br0 is created.

> There's in fact no "other interface in the LAN" to interfere with. Or am I
> forgetting something?

No, you've not missed anything in my view. This is one of those rare cases
where reading the instructions--wiki.debian.org--is inadvisable.

Regards, ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132. 7785886232 is gone.
Shop pages http://carnot.yi.org/ accessible as long as the old

Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 04:12:47PM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From: Jesus_M. Navarro <jesus.navarro@undominio.net>
> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 05:42:40 +0200
> Certainly that is sensible. I was distracted by
> http://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections
> where eth0 and eth1 are both configured before br0 is created.

[..]

> No, you've not missed anything in my view. This is one of those rare cases
> where reading the instructions--wiki.debian.org--is inadvisable.

Well, it is a wiki! If you feel the content is incorrect/misleading
please correct it.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte