Old 09-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Re (2): WMP and Flash in Squeeze

debian-multimedia-keyring appears to work OK.

From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:24:33 +1000
> add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list
> *deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free*

The "*"s are for emphasis? Never seen them in the syntax.

> apt-get install w32codecs flashplugin-nonfree

w32codecs appeared to install OK. In aptitude,
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound is visible but not flashplugin-nonfree.

According to http://packages.debian.org/ ,
flashplugin-nonfree is in lenny-backports and in sid; not in Squeeze.
I don't see how to install it from lenny-backports and I'm reluctant
to jump to sid.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132. 7785886232 is gone.
Shop pages http://carnot.yi.org/ accessible as long as the old

Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Angus Hedger

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:45:24 -0700
peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> debian-multimedia-keyring appears to work OK.
>
> From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:24:33 +1000
> > add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list
> > *deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free*
>
> The "*"s are for emphasis? Never seen them in the syntax.

They are not part of the syntax

> > apt-get install w32codecs flashplugin-nonfree
>
> w32codecs appeared to install OK. In aptitude,
> flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound is visible but not
> flashplugin-nonfree.
>
> According to http://packages.debian.org/ ,
> flashplugin-nonfree is in lenny-backports and in sid; not in Squeeze.
> I don't see how to install it from lenny-backports and I'm reluctant
> to jump to sid.

install flashplayer-mozilla [1] or if you use 64bit linux and don’t want
nsplugins being iffy, download the following .so [2] and shove it
into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Both work fine, though the 64bit preview works better for me, ymmv.

> Thanks, ... Peter E.

Good luck.

[1]
http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/testing/non-free/binary-amd64/package/flashplayer-mozilla.php
[2] http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 PM

From: Angus Hedger <demidevil gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:18:39 +0100
> install flashplayer-mozilla ...
> [1] http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/testing/non-free/binary-amd64/package/flashplayer-mozilla.php

For this old Intel 686 I resorted to
http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/testing/non-free/binary-i386/package/flashplayer-mozilla.php
and also installed libcurl3.

Now VOD and youtube work again. Eg.
http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html#

On second glance, the viewers in the VOD FAQ 1 are just screenshots; not movie viewers.
http://www.learner.org/faq/faq_broadband.html

Thanks to Camaleon, Scott & Angus for the help.

... Peter E.