Old 09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Thierry Chatelet

Default Where is /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

On Tuesday 21 September 2010 14:15:56 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just finished installing debian (testing installer). During
> installation d-i properly reported finding Vista. However after
> reboot, there was no option in grub for it.
> I then followed instructions from:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/ch05s01.html.en#boot-initrd
> But I cannot find the file /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> Is there another more up to date documentation ?
>
> Thanks !

Run update-grub as root
Thierry

Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Bhasker C V

The menu.lst is now changed in grub2 as grub.cfg
If you are compiling your kernel and want to give non-standard naming
convention to the kernel and the initrd files of your kernel , please

edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg to add your kernel to the boot loader

--
Mathieu

Regards

Bhasker C V
Registered linux user #306349

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1009211404540.15655@server.uk.unix india.com">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1009211404540.15655@server.uk.unix india.com

Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Mathieu Malaterre

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 September 2010 14:15:56 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> * I have just finished installing debian (testing installer). During
>> installation d-i properly reported finding Vista. However after
>> reboot, there was no option in grub for it.
>> * I then followed instructions from:
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/ch05s01.html.en#boot-initrd
>> * But I cannot find the file */boot/grub/menu.lst
>>
>> Is there another more up to date documentation ?
>>
>> Thanks !
>
> Run update-grub as root

Neat ! Thanks.

Why is it not run during d-i steps ?

Thx
--
Mathieu

Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Eric Viseur

Since Squeeze Grub2 (1.98 actually) is used instead of Grub.* Use update-grub2.
Parameters are passed through /etc/default/grub, and OS other than Linux are detected by osprober (app to install with the package wearing the same name).

You shouldn't make direct changes to /boot anymore, it's not the good practise anymore.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTim+4N+v6e3N3SZqGKvfjD9QDA0knsWvsKT2CsPw@mail .gmail.com

Old 09-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Andrei Popescu

,----[ /usr/sbin/update-grub2 ]
| #!/bin/sh
| set -e
| exec update-grub "$@"
`----

Regards,
Andrei

Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Eric Viseur

My bad.* It was a hard day with lots of beer =D
But doesn't change the fact you shouldn't touch /boot anymore, everything is done in /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d then processed by update-grub(2).

,----[ /usr/sbin/update-grub2 ]

| #!/bin/sh

| set -e

| exec update-grub "$@"