Old 09-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Matteo Riva

Default Help me understand these dependencies (xorg/video drivers)

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Angus Hedger <demidevil@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:36:50 +0200
> Matteo Riva <muradin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <anippy>
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> * fglrx-driver: Conflicts: nvidia-glx but 195.36.24-4 is to be
>> installed. xserver-xorg-core: Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-2 which is a
>> virtual package. Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-cyrix (<= 1:1.1.0-8)
>> but 1:1.1.0-8 is to be installed.
>> * * * * * * * * * * *Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-nsc (<= 1:2.8.3-4) but
>> 1:2.8.3-4 is to be installed.
>> * fglrx-glx: Conflicts: nvidia-glx but 195.36.24-4 is to be installed.
>> * nvidia-glx: Conflicts: fglrx-glx but 1:10-7-1 is to be installed.
>>
>> but I can't understand why it's installing fglrx-driver or nvidia-glx
>>
>> An aptitude why on those packages shows:
>>
>> $ aptitude why fglrx-driver
>> i * gnome * * * *Depends * *gdm3 | gdm-themes
>> p * gdm3 * * * * Recommends xserver-xorg
>> p A xserver-xorg Depends * *xserver-xorg-video-all |
>> xserver-xorg-video-6 p * fglrx-driver Provides * xserver-xorg-video-6
>>
>> aptitude why nvidia-glx
>> i * gnome * * * *Depends * *gdm3 | gdm-themes
>> p * gdm3 * * * * Recommends xserver-xorg
>> p A xserver-xorg Depends * *xserver-xorg-video-all |
>> xserver-xorg-video-6 p * nvidia-glx * Provides * xserver-xorg-video-6
>>
>> so it seems they are installed since they provide
>> 'xserver-xorg-video-6' BUT I already have
>> 'xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd' which provides the same package, so why
>> does aptitude want to install the proprietary display drivers?
>
> Not sure, try opening aptitude in and cancelling all pending actions.
>
> sudo aptitude then press e or click actions > cancel pending actions.

Apparently there are no pending actions, I still can't understand why
those packages are being installed.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Angus Hedger

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:19:30 +0200
Matteo Riva <muradin@gmail.com> wrote:
<snipp>
> >> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >> * fglrx-driver: Conflicts: nvidia-glx but 195.36.24-4 is to be
> >> installed. xserver-xorg-core: Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-2 which
> >> is a virtual package. Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-cyrix (<=
> >> 1:1.1.0-8) but 1:1.1.0-8 is to be installed.
> >> * * * * * * * * * * *Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-nsc (<= 1:2.8.3-4)
> >> but 1:2.8.3-4 is to be installed.
> >> * fglrx-glx: Conflicts: nvidia-glx but 195.36.24-4 is to be
> >> installed. nvidia-glx: Conflicts: fglrx-glx but 1:10-7-1 is to be
> >> installed.

Seems the last update broke some of the drivers, I would remove
xserver-xorg-video-nsc, xserver-xorg-video-nsc, xserver-xorg-video-all,
and reinstall xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd or xserver-xorg-video-ati
(the newer driver that has replaced the ageing radeonhd one).

Also try updating the aptitude cache, maybe its got confused.

<snippy>
> >> An aptitude why on those packages shows:
> >>
> >> $ aptitude why fglrx-driver
> >> i * gnome * * * *Depends * *gdm3 | gdm-themes
> >> p * gdm3 * * * * Recommends xserver-xorg
> >> p A xserver-xorg Depends * *xserver-xorg-video-all |
> >> xserver-xorg-video-6 p * fglrx-driver Provides
> >> xserver-xorg-video-6
> >>
> >> aptitude why nvidia-glx
> >> i * gnome * * * *Depends * *gdm3 | gdm-themes
> >> p * gdm3 * * * * Recommends xserver-xorg
> >> p A xserver-xorg Depends * *xserver-xorg-video-all |
> >> xserver-xorg-video-6 p * nvidia-glx * Provides
> >> xserver-xorg-video-6
> >>
> >> so it seems they are installed since they provide
> >> 'xserver-xorg-video-6' BUT I already have
> >> 'xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd' which provides the same package, so
> >> why does aptitude want to install the proprietary display drivers?
> >
> > Not sure, try opening aptitude in and cancelling all pending
> > actions.
> >
> > sudo aptitude then press e or click actions > cancel pending
> > actions.
>
> Apparently there are no pending actions, I still can't understand why
> those packages are being installed.

Did the solver give you any other options?

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Matteo Riva

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Angus Hedger <demidevil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems the last update broke some of the drivers, I would remove
> xserver-xorg-video-nsc, xserver-xorg-video-nsc, xserver-xorg-video-all,
> and reinstall xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd or xserver-xorg-video-ati
> (the newer driver that has replaced the ageing radeonhd one).

Ah yes, removing xserver-xorg-video-all solved it, thanks.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Angus Hedger

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:14:20 +0200
Matteo Riva <muradin@gmail.com> wrote:
<snippy>
> Ah yes, removing xserver-xorg-video-all solved it, thanks.

Glad to hear it, I have always found xorg to have the most, sensitive
dependencies

------