Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Angus Hedger

Default Help me understand these dependencies (xorg/video drivers)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:36:50 +0200
Matteo Riva <muradin@gmail.com> wrote:

<anippy>
> fglrx-driver: Conflicts: nvidia-glx but 195.36.24-4 is to be
> installed. xserver-xorg-core: Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-2 which is a
> virtual package. Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-cyrix (<= 1:1.1.0-8)
> but 1:1.1.0-8 is to be installed.
> Breaks: xserver-xorg-video-nsc (<= 1:2.8.3-4) but
> 1:2.8.3-4 is to be installed.
> fglrx-glx: Conflicts: nvidia-glx but 195.36.24-4 is to be installed.
> nvidia-glx: Conflicts: fglrx-glx but 1:10-7-1 is to be installed.
>
> but I can't understand why it's installing fglrx-driver or nvidia-glx
>
> An aptitude why on those packages shows:
>
> $ aptitude why fglrx-driver
> i gnome Depends gdm3 | gdm-themes
> p gdm3 Recommends xserver-xorg
> p A xserver-xorg Depends xserver-xorg-video-all |
> xserver-xorg-video-6 p fglrx-driver Provides xserver-xorg-video-6
>
> aptitude why nvidia-glx
> i gnome Depends gdm3 | gdm-themes
> p gdm3 Recommends xserver-xorg
> p A xserver-xorg Depends xserver-xorg-video-all |
> xserver-xorg-video-6 p nvidia-glx Provides xserver-xorg-video-6
>
> so it seems they are installed since they provide
> 'xserver-xorg-video-6' BUT I already have
> 'xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd' which provides the same package, so why
> does aptitude want to install the proprietary display drivers?

Not sure, try opening aptitude in and cancelling all pending actions.

sudo aptitude then press e or click actions > cancel pending actions.

> Also, can I safely remove every xserver-xorg-video-* except the one
> I'm using?

Yup

> Thanks.

Good luck.

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97