Old 09-21-2010, 04:12 AM
William Kindler

Default wireless adapters

I want to switch to a Linux
or UNIX* based OS, but can't seem to find out if the wireless
adapters I have are supported. I have a USB device which is a D-Link
DWA-130, and a PCI adapter which is a Netgear WN311T. I have not been
able to find out the chipset in the NETGEAR, and can find no
information other than vague references to the D-Link. Does anyone know
if either or both of these devices are supported with Debian? If so
could you tell me where the drivers can be obtained, and where to
install them, if they are not native to the Debian distribution?

--
Bill Kindler

Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Celejar

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:12:48 -0500
William Kindler <williamkindler@att.net> wrote:

> I want to switch to a Linux or UNIX based OS, but can't seem to find
> out if the wireless adapters I have are supported. I have a USB device
> which is a D-Link DWA-130, and a PCI adapter which is a Netgear WN311T.
> I have not been able to find out the chipset in the NETGEAR, and can
> find no information other than vague references to the D-Link. Does
> anyone know if either or both of these devices are supported with
> Debian? If so could you tell me where the drivers can be obtained, and
> where to install them, if they are not native to the Debian distribution?

It's generally a bad idea to guess at the chipset and linux
compatibility from the model number, because the manufacturers often
use different chipsets for the same model number. Why can't you find
the chipsets for your equipment?

Celejar

Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Geoff Simmons

Hi Bill,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:12:48PM -0500, William Kindler wrote:
> I have a USB device which is a D-Link DWA-130, and a PCI adapter which
> is a Netgear WN311T.
[...]
> Does anyone know if either or both of these devices are supported with
> Debian?

The D-Link DWA-130 has had a number of hardware revisions:

- Revision A1 (USB ID 07d1:3b11) contains a Marvell 88W8360 chipset,
which has no native driver available. You would need to use
NDISwrapper[1] for device support.

- Revision B (USB ID 07d1:3c13) is supported by the rt2800usb driver,
which is included in the mainline Linux kernel since 2.6.31.

For Lenny, you can acquire backported 2.6.32 linux-image packages
from Debian Backports[2]. The firmware-ralink package from
lenny-backports will also need to be installed.

- Revision C1 (USB ID 2001:3301) is supported by the rtl8192u[3]
driver.

- Revision C2 (USB ID 07d1:3302) and revision E (USB ID 07d1:3300) are
supported by the rtl8192su[3] driver.

- Revision D (USB ID 07d1:3a0f) contains an Atheros AR9001U chipset,
which is not currently claimed by the ar9170usb[4] driver in Debian
Linux kernel images.

After using modprobe to insert ar9170usb, you can try executing
"echo 07d1 3a0f > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/ar9170usb/new_id" to
inform the driver of this device.

The Netgear WN311T (PCI ID 11ab:2a02) contains a Marvell 88W8361
chipset, which has no native driver available; NDISwrapper[1] would be
required for device support.

> If so could you tell me where the drivers can be obtained, and where
> to install them, if they are not native to the Debian distribution?

For your DWA-130 device, determine its USB ID (you can use lsusb from
the usbutils package), then refer to the respective page on the Debian
wiki.

Geoff

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/Backports
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
[4] http://wiki.debian.org/ar9170usb

Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Klistvud

I want to switch to a Linux or UNIX based OS, but can't seem to find
out if the wireless adapters I have are supported. I have a USB
device which is a D-Link DWA-130, and a PCI adapter which is a
Netgear WN311T. I have not been able to find out the chipset in the
NETGEAR, and can find no information other than vague references to
the D-Link. Does anyone know if either or both of these devices are
supported with Debian? If so could you tell me where the drivers can
be obtained, and where to install them, if they are not native to the
Debian distribution?

--
Bill Kindler

Trying out a recent live GNU/Linux CD or DVD -- the newest Ubuntu comes
to mind -- would eliminate all guesswork. Of course, it's not a full
proof method, but it can give you a hands-on estimate as to whether
your wireless cards will work. That said, there *is* a Linux HCL
lurking somewhere in Google, if you care to find it. That said, you may
still have problems getting the things to work in Debian, particularly
in Stable. That said, there are easily accessible backported kernels to
help you with that.
So all in all, firing up a good recent live distro is what I'd do
first, just to get my bearings.

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Celejar

[Back on list - and please reply to the list and not to me.]

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:15:13 -0500
William Kindler <williamkindler@att.net> wrote:

> On 9/20/2010 11:50 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:12:48 -0500
> > William Kindler<williamkindler@att.net> wrote:
> >

> >> I want to switch to a Linux or UNIX based OS, but can't seem to find
> >> out if the wireless adapters I have are supported. I have a USB device
> >> which is a D-Link DWA-130, and a PCI adapter which is a Netgear WN311T.
> >> I have not been able to find out the chipset in the NETGEAR, and can
> >> find no information other than vague references to the D-Link. Does
> >> anyone know if either or both of these devices are supported with
> >> Debian? If so could you tell me where the drivers can be obtained, and
> >> where to install them, if they are not native to the Debian distribution?
> >>
> > It's generally a bad idea to guess at the chipset and linux
> > compatibility from the model number, because the manufacturers often
> > use different chipsets for the same model number. Why can't you find
> > the chipsets for your equipment?
> >
> > Celejar
> >
> Calejar,
>
> Thank you for the prompt reply.
> I don't know why , I am unable to get the base technical information for
> either of these devices. However, the manufacturers, have not placed the

Run lspci / lsusb.

> information on their web sites, and the information was not included in
> the documentation I received with them, including the set up discs. I've

Common enough.

> run Linux Os's before and realize the importance of having the correct
> information and documentation. I've not run into this lack of
> information before, and it doesn't sit well with me. I was hoping there
> was someone out there, that might have been able to obtain this
> information on these pieces. If you know of something I haven't tried,
> please let me know.

Celejar

Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Bernd Kloss

Am Dienstag, 21. September 2010 schrieb Geoff Simmons:
> Hi Bill,
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:12:48PM -0500, William Kindler wrote:
> > I have a USB device which is a D-Link DWA-130, and a PCI adapter which
> > is a Netgear WN311T.
>
> [...]
>
> > Does anyone know if either or both of these devices are supported with
> > Debian?
>
> The D-Link DWA-130 has had a number of hardware revisions:
>
> - Revision A1 (USB ID 07d1:3b11) contains a Marvell 88W8360 chipset,
> which has no native driver available. You would need to use
> NDISwrapper[1] for device support.
>
> - Revision B (USB ID 07d1:3c13) is supported by the rt2800usb driver,
> which is included in the mainline Linux kernel since 2.6.31.
>
> For Lenny, you can acquire backported 2.6.32 linux-image packages
> from Debian Backports[2]. The firmware-ralink package from
> lenny-backports will also need to be installed.
>
> - Revision C1 (USB ID 2001:3301) is supported by the rtl8192u[3]
> driver.
>
> - Revision C2 (USB ID 07d1:3302) and revision E (USB ID 07d1:3300) are
> supported by the rtl8192su[3] driver.
>
> - Revision D (USB ID 07d1:3a0f) contains an Atheros AR9001U chipset,
> which is not currently claimed by the ar9170usb[4] driver in Debian
> Linux kernel images.
>
> After using modprobe to insert ar9170usb, you can try executing
> "echo 07d1 3a0f > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/ar9170usb/new_id" to
> inform the driver of this device.
>
> The Netgear WN311T (PCI ID 11ab:2a02) contains a Marvell 88W8361
> chipset, which has no native driver available; NDISwrapper[1] would be
> required for device support.
>
> > If so could you tell me where the drivers can be obtained, and where
> > to install them, if they are not native to the Debian distribution?
>
> For your DWA-130 device, determine its USB ID (you can use lsusb from
> the usbutils package), then refer to the respective page on the Debian
> wiki.
>
> Geoff
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/Backports
> [3] http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
> [4] http://wiki.debian.org/ar9170usb

Hi,

maybe this one might help:

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/WLAN/Karten/D-Link

Since I have been trying in vain to get my Squeeze 2.6.32-5-686 run one of
those adaptors:

{USB_DEVICE(0x07D1,0x3c09)}, /* D-Link System DWA-140 RangeBooster N
Adapter(rev.B1) [Ralink RT2870] */

{USB_DEVICE(0x0DF6,0x0040)}, /* Sitecom WL-344 Wireless USB Adapter 300N X2*/

I would like to ask the question the other way round.

Is anybody out there running Squeeze 2.6.32-5-686 on a desktop using a wlan-
usb-adaptor at 54 or better at 300 N successfully?

Which brand of USB-adaptor?
Configuration?

I'll go out and buy this one instead of fooling around with the above
mentioned.
Reason why: a friend of mine told me, that these parts of the kernel are older
than the adaptors and so don't support recent adaptors. True?

Thanks and regards

Bernd

http://wiki.debian.org/rt2860sta
http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/WLAN/Ralink#RT28xx-Draft-N
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/d-link-dwa-140-wir-nicht-
erkannt/3/#post-2382139
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/usb-wlan-adapter-wird-nicht-
erkannt-1/#post-2542588

Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Christopher Judd

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 03:58:32 Bernd Kloss wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 21. September 2010 schrieb Geoff Simmons:
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:12:48PM -0500, William Kindler wrote:
> > > I have a USB device which is a D-Link DWA-130, and a PCI adapter which
> > > is a Netgear WN311T.
> >
> > [...]

As others have suggested, if you can't get it working with a native
linux driver, try installing ndiswrapper and a WinXP driver. It's pretty
straightforward.

FWIW, I recently bought a used laptop from a colleague, and bought a D-
Link WNA 1330 (pcmcia) for about $18 US. The linux driver would detect and
initialize the card, but it wouldn't recognize any wireless networks. (I
spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to work). It works fine with
ndiswrapper, though.

-Chris

| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. |
| Research Scientist III |
| NYS Dept. of Health judd@wadsworth.org |
| Wadsworth Center - ESP |
| P. O. Box 509 518 486-7829 |
| Albany, NY 12201-0509 |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.