Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Brian Ryans

Default xfce4: periodic random backdrop change

I don't know how commonly known this is, but I figured it wouldn't hurt
to throw this out there.

1. Create a backdrops list file using xfce, or by hand. I'll call this
$LISTFILE.

2. Set your backdrop to $LISTFILE.

3. Place this script somewhere on your disk.

,----[ xfce-reload-desktop ]-
| #!/bin/sh
|
| (pidof xfdesktop 2&>/dev/null) && xfdesktop --reload
`----

4. Add a user crontab entry. The desktop will change when this script's
run. The example below runs every five minutes; crontab(5).

*/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/xfce-reload-desktop

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ 43190205 | Mail/Jabber/Yahoo/MSN: BrianLRyans@gmail.com ..:

Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Darac Marjal

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 05:30:13PM -0500, Brian Ryans wrote:
> I don't know how commonly known this is, but I figured it wouldn't hurt
> to throw this out there.
>
> 1. Create a backdrops list file using xfce, or by hand. I'll call this
> $LISTFILE.
>
> 2. Set your backdrop to $LISTFILE.
>
> 3. Place this script somewhere on your disk.
>
> ,----[ xfce-reload-desktop ]-
> | #!/bin/sh
> |
> | (pidof xfdesktop 2&>/dev/null) && xfdesktop --reload
> `----
>
> 4. Add a user crontab entry. The desktop will change when this script's
> run. The example below runs every five minutes; crontab(5).
>
> */5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/xfce-reload-desktop

If you like random pictures, or want a GUI to do this, I can recommend
Wally[1] as a good wallpaper changers. It's one of the few that knows
about XFCE, too.

[1] http://www.becrux.com/index.php?page=projects&name=wally

Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Angus Hedger

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:12:18 +0100
Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:
<snippy>
> If you like random pictures, or want a GUI to do this, I can recommend
> Wally[1] as a good wallpaper changers. It's one of the few that knows
> about XFCE, too.
>
> [1] http://www.becrux.com/index.php?page=projects&name=wally

Thanks for that, I have been looking for a GUI wallpaper changer that
knows what todo with xfce, cheers!

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Brian Ryans

Quoting Darac Marjal on 2010-09-29 04:12:18:
> If you like random pictures, or want a GUI to do this, I can recommend
> Wally[1] as a good wallpaper changers. It's one of the few that knows
> about XFCE, too.
>
> [1] http://www.becrux.com/index.php?page=projects&name=wally

I was bored yesterday, so I decided to try this out. Lot more user
friendly than my cronjob.

I've yet to measure the impact on system performance though, I'll
probably measure that tonight. For modern systems, though, performance
hit should be epsilon.

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ 43190205 | Mail/Jabber/Yahoo/MSN: BrianLRyans@gmail.com ..:
X ASCII Ribbon Campaign Against HTML mail and v-cards: asciiribbon.org
/ Modern man has an approximately 140-character attention span. -- blr