Old 09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Default why permissions denied?

hi,

As root I compiled a module.
Then I try to execute it and I get 'permissions denied'

I can write to the disk, just can't execute a module.

When I copy the module to '/root' i can execute it.

Like so:

/home/hugo/gpc-qt4-002Mon Sep 20-09:50:09SDB5# whoami
root
/home/hugo/gpc-qt4-002Mon Sep 20-09:50:16SDB5# ls -l funds
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6836847 2010-09-20 09:37 funds
/home/hugo/gpc-qt4-002Mon Sep 20-09:50:23SDB5# ./funds
bash: ./funds: Permission denied

The permissions are set to:-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6836847 2010-09-20
09:37 funds

Yet I cannot execute it.

Why would that be?

Hugo

Archive: i77unt$597$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i77unt$597$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Jochen Schulz

hugo vanwoerkom:

> As root I compiled a module.

What is "a module"? Some stand-alone program? Usually, people mean
"kernel modules" when talking about modules and these are not meant to
be executed.

> Then I try to execute it and I get 'permissions denied'

Check the mount options for the filesystem you are working on. Run
'mount' withour any arguments and search for the options in parantheses.
If there is "noexec" in it, you are not allowed to run programs from
this filesystem. If you are root, you can edit /etc/fstab and remove
that option. But beware that you can more or less break your system when
messing with this file.

J.
--
My drug of choice is self-pity.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 09-21-2010, 03:09 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Jochen Schulz wrote:

hugo vanwoerkom:

As root I compiled a module.

What is "a module"? Some stand-alone program? Usually, people mean
"kernel modules" when talking about modules and these are not meant to
be executed.

Then I try to execute it and I get 'permissions denied'

Check the mount options for the filesystem you are working on. Run
'mount' withour any arguments and search for the options in parantheses.
If there is "noexec" in it, you are not allowed to run programs from
this filesystem. If you are root, you can edit /etc/fstab and remove
that option. But beware that you can more or less break your system when
messing with this file.

My bad. I forgot to mount the disk with -o exec

Hugo