Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Siju George

Default converting pcm raw output to wav or mp3 file

Hi.

I followed

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Recording_audio_playing_on_the_com puter#Using_the_ALSA_PCM_file

and got the

/tmp/out.raw file

How do I convert it to wav or mp3?

thanks

--Siju

Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Kumar Appaiah

Dear Siju,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 03:19:09PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> I followed
>
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Recording_audio_playing_on_the_com puter#Using_the_ALSA_PCM_file
>
> and got the
>
> /tmp/out.raw file
>
> How do I convert it to wav or mp3?

You would need an MP3 encoder, such as LAME. LAME is not available in
Debian, but is available from unofficial repositories, such as Debian
Multimedia (see http://debian-multimedia.org/ for details)

HTH.

Kumar
--
"How do you pronounce SunOS?" "Just like you hear it, with a big SOS"
-- dedicated to Roland Kaltefleiter

Old 09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Siju George

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Kumar Appaiah
<a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> Dear Siju,
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 03:19:09PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
>> I followed
>>
>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Recording_audio_playing_on_the_com puter#Using_the_ALSA_PCM_file
>>
>> and got the
>>
>> /tmp/out.raw file
>>
>> How do I convert it to wav or mp3?
>
> You would need an MP3 encoder, such as LAME. LAME is not available in
> Debian, but is available from unofficial repositories, such as Debian
> Multimedia (see http://debian-multimedia.org/ for details)

thanks i found out

$lame -r out.raw out.wav

to convert to wave and

$ffmpeg-i out.wav out.mp3

to convert to mp3

thanks :-)

--Siju

Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 05:13:18PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> > You would need an MP3 encoder, such as LAME. LAME is not available in
> > Debian, but is available from unofficial repositories, such as Debian
> > Multimedia (see http://debian-multimedia.org/ for details)
> >

> thanks i found out
>
> $lame -r out.raw out.wav
>
> to convert to wave and
>
> $ffmpeg-i out.wav out.mp3
>
> to convert to mp3
>
> thanks :-)

Actually, you wouldn't need to use ffmpeg at all;
lame sample.wav sample.mp3 should usually do the trick. See here for
details:

http://lame.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lame/lame/USAGE

HTH.

Kumar
--
Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.
(By komarimf@craft.camp.clarkson.edu, Mark Komarinski)

Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Anand Sivaram

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 17:13, Siju George <sgeorge.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Kumar Appaiah

<a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:

> Dear Siju,

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 03:19:09PM +0530, Siju George wrote:

>> I followed

>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Recording_audio_playing_on_the_com puter#Using_the_ALSA_PCM_file

>> and got the

>> /tmp/out.raw file

>> How do I convert it to wav or mp3?

> You would need an MP3 encoder, such as LAME. LAME is not available in

> Debian, but is available from unofficial repositories, such as Debian

> Multimedia (see http://debian-multimedia.org/ for details)

thanks i found out

$lame -r out.raw out.wav

to convert to wave and

$ffmpeg-i out.wav out.mp3

to convert to mp3

thanks :-)

--Siju

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTim1GJNF2W5NyV3r8v6GTtL7K6jqEM+e7sMp0YKO@mail .gmail.com

Wave is nothing but raw PCM in littile endian (intel) format with generally 44 bytes of header which contains sample rate, number of channels, total number of samples etc.Since it is raw PCM data, while creating either wave or mp3, you will have to specify your sample rate, number of channel and format (number of bits, little/big endian etc.)

Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Siju George

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Anand Sivaram <aspnair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wave is nothing but raw PCM in littile endian (intel) format with generally
> 44 bytes of header which contains sample rate, number of channels, total
> number of samples etc.
> Since it is raw PCM data, while creating either wave or mp3, you will have
> to specify your sample rate, number of channel and format (number of bits,
> little/big endian etc.)

Thanks Kumar :-) But Anand the raw pcm file I got was more than 700 MB
but when I converted it to .wav it was only 71 MB why is that?

--Siju