-   -   ps - Illegal Instruction (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/429248-ps-illegal-instruction.html)

Timo Juhani Lindfors 09-20-2010 12:23 AM

ps - Illegal Instruction

Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> writes:
> I still have several problems, which may be related. The easiest one
> to find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command.
> This occurs whether I run as a user or root.

So gnome starts but ps fails? Very odd. Please

1) apt-get install debsums
2) debsums

to see if any files are corrupted.

Mike Viau 09-20-2010 12:26 AM

ps - Illegal Instruction

> On Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:15:42 -0400 <jstuckle@attglobal.net>
>
> This is a new install of Lenny on Windows 7 Virtual PC. I basically
> took the defaults, with a couple of changes to get it to install and get
> gnome's display correct.
>
> I still have several problems, which may be related. The easiest one to
> find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command. This
> occurs whether I run as a user or root.
>
> I've done a lot of looking, but don't seem to find anything similar.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle :)

Have you tried any other Linux environments through your Virtual PC?

Or maybe even tried Virtual Box or VMware on Windows 7 to run Linux?

I have had sucess with both, but I never tried Microsoft's Virtual PC.

-M

Mark Allums 09-20-2010 12:48 AM

ps - Illegal Instruction

This is a new install of Lenny on Windows 7 Virtual PC. I basically
took the defaults, with a couple of changes to get it to install and get
gnome's display correct.

I still have several problems, which may be related. The easiest one to
find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command. This
occurs whether I run as a user or root.

I've done a lot of looking, but don't seem to find anything similar.
Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle :)

Your problem is probably Virtual PC. Try Virtualbox (free) or VMware
server (free) or VMware Desktop (paid and kind of expensive but much
more usable for newbies than server).

I have some Virtualbox installations, and Debian---both 32-bit and
64-bit---runs great on it.

Archive: 4C96AF71.1050902@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C96AF71.1050902@allums.com

Jerry Stuckle 09-20-2010 01:41 AM

ps - Illegal Instruction

I still have several problems, which may be related. The easiest one
to find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command.
This occurs whether I run as a user or root.

So gnome starts but ps fails? Very odd. Please

1) apt-get install debsums
2) debsums

to see if any files are corrupted.

Hi, Timo, and thanks for responding. Yes, gnome starts, although
occasionally I get

debsums by itself found a LOT of good files, so I ran it with -s. The
only mismatch it found was on

/usr/lib/openoffice/share/config/javasettingsunopkginstall.xml.

That shouldn't be a problem.

Rerunning with -a -s added a mismatch for

/etc/console-tools/config

But I don't think that should be a problem, either.

Further testing indicates when I boot into the single user mode, ps
works fine. Also, during normal boot I found an Illegal Instruction
message for sysctl - which fails from a command line on normal boot
also, but works in single user mode.

And as to the suggestions from other users to try another VM - that's
not open for discussion unless you can tell my why the one that comes
with Windows 7 doesn't work.

Jerry

Archive: 4C96BBAC.4090505@attglobal.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C96BBAC.4090505@attglobal.net

Mark Allums 09-20-2010 02:00 AM