Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Miles Fidelman

Default ps - Illegal Instruction

Jerry,

You keep saying things like:

I appreciate the comments, but people just don't understand. Another
virtual machine is NOT an option here. I either get it to work under
Virtual PC or have to toss Debian all together. There are no other
choices. The decision is totally out of my hands.
As I said - unless you can tell me WHY it doesn't work, it's not open
for discussion. The fact you tried it with one distro and don't like
Microsoft are NOT valid reasons.

and

And as to the suggestions from other users to try another VM - that's
not open for discussion unless you can tell my why the one that comes
with Windows 7 doesn't work.

and....

I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle

What you HAVEN'T said is:

- what you're actually trying to accomplish

- why you're so adamant about running the specific combination of Debian
Lenny under VPC under Windows7

- who's decision it is, or

- what the decision criteria are

Is this a technical or a management mandate?

If technical, there are an awful lot of folks who are telling you that
the particular combination of Win7/VPC/Lenny is a pretty complicated
combination, never designed to work well together, without any real
documentation - and that there are other, more reliable ways to get a
Linux environment running under Windows. More scoping as to the
ultimate goal might help generate advice on work-around for the things
that aren't working (or advice along the lines of "that's just a crazy
approach to the problem you're trying to solve).

If managerial, then how much time does your management want to invest,
and how detailed an answer do they really need before deciding that some
other approach makes more sense.

In short:
- it's abundantly clear that your configuration doesn't work
- there's no simple answer to why it won't work
- apparently the simple answer - "we tried, this combination of software
doesn't play nicely" is not good enough for <somebody>
- for your particular application, maybe you SHOULD "toss Debian all
together"

Though, out of purely perverse interest, it would be nice to know what
the heck this is all about.

Miles Fidelman

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4C9ACE05.7080900@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C9ACE05.7080900@meetinghouse.net

Old 09-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Jerry Stuckle

What you HAVEN'T said is:

[...]

No, Miles, I have not talked about why because it is not open for
discussion. Also, I do not want to get off the technical aspects of the
subject. So I will not discuss it.

Archive: 4C9B51A0.6020807@attglobal.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C9B51A0.6020807@attglobal.net

Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 21 sep 10, 22:37:42, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Well, I'm actually making progress here. I went back and started
> over. This time I didn't install the desktop task - only the
> standard system one. Everything from the command line seems to work
> fine, including ps.
>
> So the next step is to figure out what is installed when desktop is
> selected. So far I haven't been able to find any detailed doc about
> it.

The answer is in the tasksel package.

HTH,
Andrei