Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Jerry Stuckle

Default ps - Illegal Instruction

On 9/20/2010 9:54 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:15:42 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

(...)

I still have several problems, which may be related. The easiest one to
find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command. This
occurs whether I run as a user or root.

I've done a lot of looking, but don't seem to find anything similar.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you try by performing a completely new install (by downloading a new
iso image and verifying the checksum before installing)?

I did a network install, so I only downloaded the first CD. No, I
haven't tried downloading this again - it's a good idea, and I'll do
that. I have tried installing the code several times, all with the same
results. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and download everything.
That's going to be fun! Thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe something got messed-up and VM can be very "picky" when they find
things they don't like. Also, debugging virtual machines is not an easy
(neither pleasure) task :-)

Yes, I know that - I've had to do it in the past on mainframes. I
agree, it's not a lot of fun.

I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle

Suggestions provided by other list users (like testing with another
virtual machine) are also a very good idea.

Why?

- First, because is what many of us would have done in your same
situation (it is very rare that running a simple "ps" command halts with
"illegal instruction", that error message comes from the virtual machine,
so VM is the first suspect here).

- Second, because Virtual PC is not a very good virtual machine (it lacks
for many basic functions, technically speaking, there are better choices,
such VirtualBox or Vmware Server).

A quick view of Wikipedia virtual machines comparison chart states so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines

- Third, because by you'll get further (and better) support, at least
from anyone here... being this a Debian user list, is not very probable
that some of us were running a VM that cannot be installed in Debian by
any means (well, maybe could be installed from Wine :-P).

Greetings,

I appreciate the comments, but people just don't understand. Another
virtual machine is NOT an option here. I either get it to work under
Virtual PC or have to toss Debian all together. There are no other
choices. The decision is totally out of my hands.

Archive: 4C9777C0.4040001@attglobal.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C9777C0.4040001@attglobal.net

Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
John Hasler

Jerry Stuckle writes:
> I need to make this work or have concrete reasons as to why it doesn't
> work.

Then why are you addressing your question to us and not to Microsoft?
Debian works on real hardware. This Microsoft software purports to
emulate real hardware. Therefor the fact that Debian does not run on it
proves that it is buggy. Since it is closed source only Microsoft has
any realistic chance of finding the bug.

> Guesses, opinions, etc. won't make it.

Microsoft claims that it would be illegal for us to try to find the bug
even if we thought it worth the considerable effort. And if we found
it, what then? We wouldn't be able to fix it.
--
John Hasler

Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:03:28 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> On 9/20/2010 9:54 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> A quick view of Wikipedia virtual machines comparison chart states so:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines
>>
>> - Third, because by you'll get further (and better) support, at least
>> from anyone here... being this a Debian user list, is not very probable
>> that some of us were running a VM that cannot be installed in Debian by
>> any means (well, maybe could be installed from Wine :-P).
>>

> I appreciate the comments, but people just don't understand.

Maybe because you were providing fuzzy information ;-)

You said (regarding Virtual PC):

***
"(...) unless you can tell me WHY it doesn't work, it's not open
for discussion."
***

So changing VM is or isn't open for discussion? You cannot change it even
if does not work? :-? If there is no chance for changing, that's right,
but you had to have said that before.

> Another virtual machine is NOT an option here. I either get it to work
> under Virtual PC or have to toss Debian all together. There are no
> other choices. The decision is totally out of my hands.

Then start the installation from scratch. Or try first to load into the
VM a Debian LiveCD, and see what happens.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Arthur Machlas

The thing of it is, this doesn't sound like a Debian problem/question.
And most every suggestion is given with that in mind. So if you wanted
to see if it was a Debian problem, then you'd do things like try it in
another VM. Of course, this isn't possible for whatever reason -
doesn't matter - therefore we must rely on best guess. And best guess
would seem to be its a problem with VPC.

You may get lucky and find someone on this list has had the exact same
problem and solved it, but it's far more likely that you'll get
assistance from the VPC people for this, either their forums or
mailing list or irc channel.

Maybe this has already been explained though, I haven't followed the
entire thread.

Regards,
AM

Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Arthur Machlas

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 9/20/2010 11:29 AM, Arthur Machlas wrote:
>>
>> The thing of it is, this doesn't sound like a Debian problem/question.
>> And most every suggestion is given with that in mind. So if you wanted
>> to see if it was a Debian problem, then you'd do things like try it in
>> another VM. Of course, this isn't possible for whatever reason -
>> doesn't matter - therefore we must rely on best guess. And best guess
>> would seem to be its a problem with VPC.
>>
>> You may get lucky and find someone on this list has had the exact same
>> problem and solved it, but it's far more likely that you'll get
>> assistance from the VPC people for this, either their forums or
>> mailing list or irc channel.
>>
>> Maybe this has already been explained though, I haven't followed the
>> entire thread.
>>
>> Regards,
>> AM
>>

> The VPC people won't help - they don't support non-MS OS's. *And I'm not
> necessarily looking for someone who has had the problem before, but some
> clues as to how to find the problem.
>
> As I said - I am a Debian noob, but I am not a noob to programming or
> computers. *I just don't know the code or debugging aids available to me
> here.

Please reply to list. It's a mistake I've often made, but is generally
frowned upon. As for the code or debugging aids available, the answer
is simple; none at all.

I'm sure I've seen this mentioned already though, and the 'blame' for
this lies with Microsoft for going closed source, or whoever in your
organization made the decision to use it. Regardless, I think your
only realistic option at this point is to abandon running a
Virtualized Debian. Perhaps you'll have greater success with some
other distro, Red-Hat, Cent-Os come to mind.

Kind regards,

Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 20/09/10 10:15, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> This is a new install of Lenny on Windows 7 Virtual PC. I basically
> took the defaults, with a couple of changes to get it to install and
> get gnome's display correct.
>
> I still have several problems, which may be related. The easiest one
> to find is an "Illegal Instruction" when I run a simple ps command.
> This occurs whether I run as a user or root.
>
> I've done a lot of looking, but don't seem to find anything similar.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> I'm still pretty much a noob on Linux, so please be gentle
>
> TIA.
>
> Jerry

Perhaps some of the links off this link might be useful
http://blogs.msdn.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=linux&sections=4122

Cheers

--
*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Arthur Machlas

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
> *On 20/09/10 10:15, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> This is a new install of Lenny on Windows 7 Virtual PC. *I basically
> Perhaps some of the links off this link might be useful
> http://blogs.msdn.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=linux&sections=4122

Nice links. Basically says Enterprise versions of Linux are supported,
Red Hat and Suse. Debian is not listed as supported.

AM

Old 09-20-2010, 06:03 PM
PaulNM

Arthur Machlas wrote:

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

On 20/09/10 10:15, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

This is a new install of Lenny on Windows 7 Virtual PC. I basically

Perhaps some of the links off this link might be useful
http://blogs.msdn.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=linux&sections=4122

Nice links. Basically says Enterprise versions of Linux are supported,
Red Hat and Suse. Debian is not listed as supported.

AM

It may be worth trying CentOS since it's pretty much re-branded Red Hat.
I haven't seen the additions myself, but I wonder if they can be
adapted to other distros.

Archive: 4C97A1E3.7010706@paulscrap.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C97A1E3.7010706@paulscrap.com

Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Mark Allums

On 9/20/2010 10:03 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

I appreciate the comments, but people just don't understand. Another
virtual machine is NOT an option here. I either get it to work under
Virtual PC or have to toss Debian all together. There are no other
choices. The decision is totally out of my hands.

It is possible to install Virtual PC 2007 (and then the update to it) on
Windows 7. I suggest doing so and trying that. Win 7 won't upgrade
from XP with 2007 installed, but once Win 7 is running, you can
reinstall it. I had better luck with it than I did with the Win 7
version of VPC. Keep in mind, I was quite literal and serious when I
said that Virtual PC is for running older MS OS products *only*.
Microsoft doesn't give a rat's ass if you can't run Debian on it.
*They* will tell you to get Server 2008 R2.

If you get this to work, you should do the world a favor and write a
HOWTO about it, and post it where it can be found by one and all.

Archive: 4C97EC34.2020107@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C97EC34.2020107@allums.com

Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Mark Allums

On 9/20/2010 10:03 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

I appreciate the comments, but people just don't understand. Another
virtual machine is NOT an option here. I either get it to work under
Virtual PC or have to toss Debian all together. There are no other
choices. The decision is totally out of my hands.

Let me guess:

You are already running Virtual PC with something, maybe running an old
app in XP Mode. Other VMs running at the same time as VPC causes the
dreaded BSOD. Your boss won't let you migrate the old app in XP mode to
a new VM.

AmIright?

The problem is still Virtual PC, because it doesn't play nice with other
virtualization programs running at the same time.

For instance, I routinely run Virtualbox and NMware Desktop
simultaneously. But if I forget and start XP mode while either or both
are running---BOOM! BSOD.

I recommend moving whatever you are running over to VMware server and
ditch VPC and XP mode. I sorry if I have guessed wrong or your boss
won't let you.