Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
T o n g

Default Viewing Office 2007 files

Hi,

It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people started
to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that people
sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 19/09/10 23:41, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people started
> to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that people
> sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?
>
> Thanks

OOo. (and send a bitmap screenshot of the converted document back to the
sender).

Cheers

--
*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:41:40 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people
> started to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that
> people sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?

OpenOffice 3.x (Go-oo) can handle most of them (.docx/.xlsx).

What OOo version do you have?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Mike Viau

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:02:27 +0000 <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:41:40 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>>
>> It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people
>> started to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that
>> people sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?
>
> OpenOffice 3.x (Go-oo) can handle most of them (.docx/.xlsx).

I agree with that. Additionally, I've found more formatting issue with office 2010 files then I have with 2007, but some issues do exist with both Microsoft office suites in OpenOffice.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 02:02:27PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:41:40 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
> > It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people
> > started to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that
> > people sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?
>
> OpenOffice 3.x (Go-oo) can handle most of them (.docx/.xlsx).

And if you're running Lenny, you can get this version in the
backports.debiang.org repository.

-Rob

Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 19 September 2010 15:19:16 Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 02:02:27PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:41:40 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> > > It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people
> > > started to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files
> > > that people sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?
> >
> > OpenOffice 3.x (Go-oo) can handle most of them (.docx/.xlsx).
>
> And if you're running Lenny, you can get this version in the
> backports.debiang.org repository.
No need. The version of OOo in Lenny, 2.4.1, (which is really, of course,
the oxygen version), can read docx files.

Lisi

Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:51:26 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Sunday 19 September 2010 15:19:16 Rob Owens wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 02:02:27PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> > OpenOffice 3.x (Go-oo) can handle most of them (.docx/.xlsx).
>>
>> And if you're running Lenny, you can get this version in the
>> backports.debiang.org repository.
> No need. The version of OOo in Lenny, 2.4.1, (which is really, of
> course,
> the oxygen version), can read docx files.

The higher OOo version, the better compatibility for opening those files.

I've encountered many ".docx" files that cannot be opened with my stock
OOo writer (using lenny here).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Klistvud

Dne, 19. 09. 2010 15:41:40 je T o n g napisal(a):

Hi,

It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people
started
to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that
people

sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?

Thanks

You could kindly notify them that, while you have the latest softwares
installed on your "office" computer, you don't have them installed on
your laptop/netbook, and can't install them on your smartphone. Given
that you're, say, a freelancer who's a lot on the road, it would enable
you to get back to them sooner (hours, days, and sometimes weeks
sooner) if they could kindly send you more "universal" document
formats. You could even hint that, according to certain Internet
reports, some of the newest formats are still quite buggy, or support
certain features in a less than satisfying measure, or even have
unresolved vulnerabilities.

Several good points in case may be found in:
http://www.fsf.org/news/why-im-rejecting-your-email-attachment
and, of course, in:

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 19 September 2010 16:00:04 Camaleón wrote:
> I've encountered many ".docx" files that cannot be opened with my stock
> OOo writer (using lenny here).

I've obviously been lucky!

Lisi

Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 16:51, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> *No need. *The version of OOo in Lenny, 2.4.1, (which is really, of course,
> the oxygen version), can read docx files.

OOo 3.0 was much better than 2.x for reading .docx files, and OOo 3.1
was even better. Google For OOo Ninja's articles on the matter.

By the way, although 3.2 did not add much for MSO interoperability, it
is _much_ faster than previous versions.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com