Old 09-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Viewing Office 2007 files

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 17:00, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've encountered many ".docx" files that cannot be opened with my stock
> OOo writer (using lenny here).

Camaleón and others, please send to me (in private mail) MSO files
that do not display well in Open Office. I will file bugs on the
matter and get them fixed. We really need more real-world documents!

Please try to remove all sensitive information from the documents
because they will likely be uploaded to a public bugtracker. If that
is impossible, then make sure to make that clear in the email, so that
I won't upload them.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 09-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Eric Viseur

Must agree with Dotan.
OOo 3.2 was a big step forward to a really efficient MSOffice alternative and should really be used instead of older versions when possible.

2010/9/19 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 16:51, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> *No need. *The version of OOo in Lenny, 2.4.1, (which is really, of course,

> the oxygen version), can read docx files.

OOo 3.0 was much better than 2.x for reading .docx files, and OOo 3.1

was even better. Google For OOo Ninja's articles on the matter.

By the way, although 3.2 did not add much for MSO interoperability, it

is _much_ faster than previous versions.

--

Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il

http://what-is-what.com

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTim5yQryrcvKUzuhGuMzC0rkJyv3PbsQdGLUnyb@mail. gmail.com

Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Greg Madden

On Sunday 19 September 2010 07:52:09 Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 19. 09. 2010 15:41:40 je T o n g napisal(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people
> > started
> > to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that
> > people
> > sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?

The best FOSS solution you can use is OpenOffice. Google docs might be helpfull.
pdf works everywhere.

snip

> Several good points in case may be found in:
> http://www.fsf.org/news/why-im-rejecting-your-email-attachment
> and, of course, in:
> > Thanks

+1

Also on why MS ooxml (docx?) iso standard isn't working.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Architects_on_OOXML

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM
T o n g

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:17:19 -0800, Greg Madden wrote:

>> > It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people
>> > started
>> > to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that
>> > people
>> > sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?
>> >

> The best FOSS solution you can use is OpenOffice. Google docs might be
> helpfull. pdf works everywhere.

Thanks everyone for the responds.

OK, OOo is a no brainier. I meant, none of those smaller, command line
tools like wv, catdoc, xlhtml etc works any more, in regarding of Office
2007, right? Any command line, text tools that survives?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Klaus Wolf

Hi,

it not such a big problem which seems to be by the lot of answers.
You only have to install

odf-converter-integrator

from OpenOffice.org.

Have fun

klaus

Am Sonntag, den 19.09.2010, 13:41 +0000 schrieb T o n g:
> Hi,
>
> It's so annoying that Ms changes its file format again and people started
> to jumping ships. I can't view any of the Office 2007 files that people
> sent me. What's your solution to it (word and excel)?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/

--
Sent from Ubuntu

Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Greg Madden

On Monday 20 September 2010 00:15:42 Klaus Wolf wrote:
> *odf-converter-integrator

Thanks, I found more info at;
http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator

What release of OO.org has what add-in, somewhat confusing ?
http://katana.oooninja.com/w/editions_of_openoffice.org

maybe the original code:
http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/

The converter can be run from the command line.
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:27, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2010 00:15:42 Klaus Wolf wrote:
>> *odf-converter-integrator
>
> Thanks, I found more info at;
> http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator
>
> What release of OO.org has what add-in, somewhat confusing ?
> http://katana.oooninja.com/w/editions_of_openoffice.org
>
> maybe the original code:
> http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/
>
> The converter can be run from the command line.

Nice, but does it require X? I didn't see any info on that, and a
previous solution that I tried (I think it was from Dag) did in fact
require X.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il