Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 PM
John Lindsay

Default Iomega 2TB USB drive

Hi All

I am still trying to get this USB drive to show up as an icon on the
desktop and to show up under the toolbar 'Places' like my 8GB USB memory
stick and my /new-disk hdb (115GB internal drive). I am using Debian
Lenny with Gnome as a desktop.

Here is my 'mount' display

/dev/sda1 on / type ntfs (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
/dev/hdb on /new-disk type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/KINGSTON type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1 000)

After I type 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt here is my "mount" display

/dev/sda1 on / type ntfs (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
/dev/hdb on /new-disk type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/KINGSTON type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1 000)

/dev/sda1 on /mnt type ntfs (rw)

So if I read this right the device is mounted.

Here is my 'fstab'

#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdb /new-disk ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda1 / ntfs defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

And here is my 'mtab'

/dev/sda1 / ntfs rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
procbususb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
/dev/hdb /new-disk ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc
rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/KINGSTON vfat
rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=10 00 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt ntfs rw 0 0

/dev/sda1 is present in both. I noticed that I don't have a 'label' for
sda1. How do I 'label' it without reformatting the drive? I don't know
if this has anything to do with displaying the icon but it doesn't hurt
to ask those who are more proficient in things like this.

Secondly when I tried to follow the advice give to me by previous
respondents I 'lost' Kingston USB stick display. The only way I can get
it to show up is to select an earlier boot option. How do I 'delete'
the first boot option or at least move the last option to the top of the
list.

Thirdly -- is there somewhere or somehow of capturing the messages that
flash across the screen when booting up -- I see something that tells me
that USB port 1 cant be enumerated and several other messages that may
have something to do with my problem.

I do not believe it is a hardware problem because booting a live distro
on this computer such as Ubuntu shows the USB drive and it is accessible.

Last thing -- what would I use to change the permissions on the sda1?
My /dev/sdb1 (Kingston) shows 'user' as owner and group as root -- is
'permissions' a possible cause of my problem? Also looking at /mnt shows
'root' can access files only, group is root without access and others
have no access. chmod 700 /mnt says 'read only file system' ls -ld /mnt
shows

dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 2010-09-17 08:53 /mnt

Sorry is this is overly long but I would really like to resolve this
problem so I can use this drive as storage.

Thanks

John

Archive: 4C95340D.7020109@sentex.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C95340D.7020109@sentex.net

Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Mark Allums

Secondly when I tried to follow the advice give to me by previous
respondents I 'lost' Kingston USB stick display. The only way I can get
it to show up is to select an earlier boot option. How do I 'delete' the
first boot option or at least move the last option to the top of the list.

Edit your GRUB options. Which options depends on whether you are using
GRUB legacy or GRUB2.

is

'permissions' a possible cause of my problem?

Conceivably.

Also looking at /mnt shows

'root' can access files only, group is root without access and others
have no access. chmod 700 /mnt says 'read only file system' ls -ld /mnt
shows

dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 2010-09-17 08:53 /mnt

You *might* want chmod 777 while troubleshooting, and then possibly
something like 755 depending on your needs later.

700 locks normal users out.

The order goes user, group, world

If root is the owner, then non-root can't read, write, or execute from
that directory. In fact, just doing an ls inside a directory requires
execute privileges on that directory.

700 for owner root is probably not what you want.

Archive: 4C95397F.2000306@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C95397F.2000306@allums.com

Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Lisi

On Saturday 18 September 2010 22:50:05 John Lindsay wrote:
> Here is my 'fstab'
>
> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> > #
> > proc * * * * * */proc * * * * * proc * *defaults * * * *0 * * * 0
> > /dev/hda1 * * * / * * * * * * * ext3 * *errors=remount-ro 0 * * * 1
[snip
> > /dev/sda1 * */ * * * *ntfs * *defaults,errors=remount-ro * *0 * *1

I don't know whther it is at all relevant, but your fstab appears to be trying
to mount two different drives on the same mount point (/).

Lisi

Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 AM
John Lindsay

Lisi wrote:

/dev/sda1 / ntfs defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

I don't know whther it is at all relevant, but your fstab appears to be trying
to mount two different drives on the same mount point (/).

Lisi

Hi Lisi

I saw that but don't know what to make of it. Here is the result of 'df
-lh'.

/dev/sda1 71G 58G 9.8G 86% /
tmpfs 760M 0 760M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 800K 9.3M 8% /dev
tmpfs 760M 0 760M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb 113G 82G 26G 77% /new-disk
/dev/sdb1 7.5G 3.4G 4.2G 46% /media/KINGSTON
/dev/sda1 1.9T 123M 1.9T 1% /mnt
Where the first 'dev/sda1' comes from is unknown to me. I formatted the
drive on my Debian system using Partition Editor and it showed only a
1.82TB size partition. Deleting the partition did not show an increase
or that seemingly extra drive which does not physically exist. As the
USER I believe I can edit the 'fstab' so I'll delete that line and see
what happens. If the USER can't do it then I'll do it as ROOT.

John

Archive: 4C95E498.8010309@sentex.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C95E498.8010309@sentex.net

Old 09-19-2010, 10:29 AM
John Lindsay

Lisi wrote:

/dev/sda1 / ntfs defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

I don't know whther it is at all relevant, but your fstab appears to be trying
to mount two different drives on the same mount point (/).

Lisi

Actually it is the 'mtab' that shows the two '/dev/sda1' entries. I'll
try editing it and see what damage I can do!!!

Archive: 4C95E618.30104@sentex.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C95E618.30104@sentex.net

Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
John Lindsay

John Lindsay wrote:

Lisi wrote:

I don't know whther it is at all relevant, but your fstab appears to
be trying to mount two different drives on the same mount point (/).

Lisi

Actually it is the 'mtab' that shows the two '/dev/sda1' entries.
I'll try editing it and see what damage I can do!!!

Well, I edited 'mtab' as root and deleted the first instance of
'/dev/sda1'. I then rebooted and here is my 'mtab' without doing a
physical 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt' (something I do not have to do with the
Kingston USB drive). Also, 'fstab' shows a mount point of '/' the same
as my hda1. Does that make any difference? Still haven't found out how
to make a volume label without reformatting and re-partitioning.

Thanks everyone for being very helpfully with this old codger!!

John

Archive: 4C95ED58.9010100@sentex.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C95ED58.9010100@sentex.net

Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:50:05 -0400, John Lindsay wrote:

> I am still trying to get this USB drive to show up as an icon on the
> desktop and to show up under the toolbar 'Places' like my 8GB USB memory
> stick and my /new-disk hdb (115GB internal drive).

Then try by removing (or just #comment) the corresponding line under "/
etc/fstab" and let the automounter do it its way.

As for the second point, you'll have to explain better (what you did and
what it happened).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 19 September 2010 11:23:20 John Lindsay wrote:
> Here is the result of 'df
> -lh'.
>
> > Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda1 * * * * * * *71G * 58G *9.8G *86% /
[snip]
> > /dev/sda1 * * * * * * 1.9T *123M *1.9T * 1% /mnt

Curiouser and curiouser....

Now we have one partition on two mount points.

Out of interest (I am no expert, so use with all possible health warnings) try
mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt in your fstab, ratherthan on /. If that works,
you can create a mount point for /dev/sda1 and use that in your fstab,
freeing /mnt for more general use.

One usually has to edit /etc/fstab as root.

The fact that the filesystem is ntfs may have a bearing. I know nothing about
ntfs since I have never used it.

HTH
Lisi

Old 09-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 19 September 2010 11:29:44 John Lindsay wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 September 2010 22:50:05 John Lindsay wrote:
> >> Here is my 'fstab'

> > [snip

> > I don't know whther it is at all relevant, but your fstab appears to be
> > trying to mount two different drives on the same mount point (/).
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Actually it is the 'mtab' that shows the two '/dev/sda1' entries. I'll
> try editing it and see what damage I can do!!!

Yes - but the point I made is that in /etc/fstab you have two
*partitions* /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 BOTH trying to mont on one mount
point, /. If you look again at my email you will see that that is what I
said.

Lisi

Old 09-19-2010, 03:44 PM
John Lindsay

Lisi wrote:

/dev/sda1 / ntfs defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

I don't know whther it is at all relevant, but your fstab appears to be
trying to mount two different drives on the same mount point (/).

Lisi

Actually it is the 'mtab' that shows the two '/dev/sda1' entries. I'll
try editing it and see what damage I can do!!!

Yes - but the point I made is that in /etc/fstab you have two
*partitions* /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 BOTH trying to mont on one mount
point, /. If you look again at my email you will see that that is what I
said.

Lisi

Sorry Lisi I mis-read your email -- after re-reading your original reply
I took a second and third look before it finally soaked into this thick
head what you were saying -- I'll look into that when I return later
today --

John