-   -   Blu-ray status in Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/428856-blu-ray-status-linux.html)

Kevin Ross 09-18-2010 06:39 PM

Blu-ray status in Linux

On 9/18/2010 7:39 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 22:29:49 +0100, Angus Hedger wrote:

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:12:47 -0500 Mark Allums wrote:

(...)

I'm not interested in that, but I wondered if that meant that we would
eventually be able to play Blu-Ray on Debian machines. Do you suppose
we will see Blu-Ray support in VLC anytime soon?

(...)

It means that BR playback on linux is closer, for example windows has a
protected content layer that passes the content from the player to the
screen, with this key you could build something like that for windows.

Mmmm, just out of curiosity (as I don't own a BD player neither have Blu-
ray discs to play) but, do you mean there is currently no way to play Blu-
ray in Linux? :-?

Or just to put it in other words, what is the current status of the Blu-
ray technology in Linux?

It seems there is a project¹ that allows viewing such media type, but
does it work nice, has any drawbacks...?

¹ http://themediaviking.com/software/bluray-linux/

Greetings,

I don't know about mplayer or VLC, but MythTV 0.24 now has support for
playback of BluRay discs, although I believe it's currently limited to
AACS-protected discs, and not BD+. I hear that the libbdplus BD+
decryption library is maturing as well.

Archive: 4C95076A.9080804@familyross.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C95076A.9080804@familyross.net

Mark Allums 09-18-2010 08:15 PM

Blu-ray status in Linux

Or just to put it in other words, what is the current status of the Blu-
ray technology in Linux?

It seems there is a project¹ that allows viewing such media type, but
does it work nice, has any drawbacks...?

¹ http://themediaviking.com/software/bluray-linux/

I don't know about mplayer or VLC, but MythTV 0.24 now has support for
playback of BluRay discs, although I believe it's currently limited to
AACS-protected discs, and not BD+. I hear that the libbdplus BD+
decryption library is maturing as well.

AACS is broken, but few discs are protected using it. All recent discs
ad BD+, AFAIK. Decrypting BD+ works when you have a key, but every time
a BD+ key becomes known, they just switch to a new key. It's a losing
game.

I'm not interested in cracking protection, I just want to watch the
movie, and do it under Debian, not Win/OS X/etc.

(I have some old HD-DVD discs I would like to watch, as well. My
optical drive can read those discs. The AACS crack works here, but the
discs are not ISO standard, or at least they are not *nix-friendly.
They can only be read under root, but VLC won't run as root. It's
catch-22. Any advice?)

Archive: 4C951DCA.7050900@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C951DCA.7050900@allums.com

Enrico Weigelt 09-19-2010 06:14 AM

Blu-ray status in Linux

* Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> schrieb:

> AACS is broken, but few discs are protected using it. All recent discs
> ad BD+, AFAIK. Decrypting BD+ works when you have a key, but every time
> a BD+ key becomes known, they just switch to a new key. It's a losing
> game.

Perhaps we should start a massive distributed project,
like bdcrack@home ? ;-o

cu

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666