-   -   What tool would convert map coordinates ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/428817-what-tool-would-convert-map-coordinates.html)

Bernard 09-18-2010 05:02 PM

What tool would convert map coordinates ?

Hi to Everyone,

I need to convert map coordinates from Lambert II + to decimal degrees.
I found a tool which works online on a web site, but the results lack
precision : it gives degrees, minutes and integer seconds (no decimal
after the seconds, while one second is about 30 meters of distance).
More accurate tools are available for MSWIN, but I wish to use Linux
resources. I have installed the gdal package, which I have successfully
used for other purposes, but I don't know whether or not this would fit
my present purpose. I don't have access to the GDAL doc, since it is
provided on a strange format (dox), that I don't know how to use.

Thanks in advance for your help

Archive: 4C94F0A1.3080804@teaser.fr">http://lists.debian.org/4C94F0A1.3080804@teaser.fr

Wayne Topa 09-18-2010 06:10 PM

What tool would convert map coordinates ?

I need to convert map coordinates from Lambert II + to decimal degrees.
I found a tool which works online on a web site, but the results lack
precision : it gives degrees, minutes and integer seconds (no decimal
after the seconds, while one second is about 30 meters of distance).
More accurate tools are available for MSWIN, but I wish to use Linux
resources. I have installed the gdal package, which I have successfully
used for other purposes, but I don't know whether or not this would fit
my present purpose. I don't have access to the GDAL doc, since it is
provided on a strange format (dox), that I don't know how to use.

Thanks in advance for your help

May I suggest you try

apt-cache search coordinates
libgeo-coordinates-utm-perl - Perl extension for Latitiude Longitude
conversions
libgeo-helmerttransform-perl - Transformations between coordinates in
different datums

Archive: 4C95009C.1060402@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C95009C.1060402@gmail.com

Miles Fidelman 09-19-2010 01:26 AM

Wayne Topa wrote:

I need to convert map coordinates from Lambert II + to decimal degrees.

May I suggest you try

apt-cache search coordinates
libgeo-coordinates-utm-perl - Perl extension for Latitiude Longitude
conversions
libgeo-helmerttransform-perl - Transformations between coordinates in
different datums

You might also try asking on the osgeo (open source geo) email list.

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4C9566D1.4000306@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C9566D1.4000306@meetinghouse.net

Timo Juhani Lindfors 09-19-2010 11:39 AM

Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> writes:
> I need to convert map coordinates from Lambert II + to decimal
> degrees. I found a tool which works online on a web site, but the

I use the proj command for my coordinate conversions. I have no idea
if it supports what you need.