Old 09-18-2010, 01:22 AM
John

Default wireless quits every few hours

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> Or, putting it another way, what can I type from the command line to
>> do the same network restart as if I was rebooting.
>
> After doing the ifup thing, run the following command (as root) and see if
> it helps.
>
> # /etc/init.d/networking restart

Ok, I can confirm when I boot up and things are working, ifdown eth1
shuts wireless, ifup1 starts up, and the /etc/init.d/networking
restart does restart

Ok, more clues. I say that it "restarts" because the "network
monitor" popup shows and does the "ding" thing. But I _think_ in
fact, the network was killed by trying to restart.

I saved the terminal output and rebooted. Here's what it said:

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
* Starting portmap daemon...
* Already running.
...done.
* Starting NFS common utilities
...done.
root@thinkpad:/home/john# /etc/init.d/networking restart
* Reconfiguring network interfaces...
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
* Starting portmap daemon...
* Already running.
...done.
* Starting NFS common utilities
...done.

THEREFORE, one might guess, during reboot it does NOT try to set bit
rate with the bad argument, but on a CL restart, it does try to set
bit rate and that's what makes it fail.

If so, which startup file needs the surgery? Or am I totally on the
wrong track?

John

Old 09-18-2010, 01:30 AM
John

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM, John <nesredep@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> Or, putting it another way, what can I type from the command line to
>>> do the same network restart as if I was rebooting.
>>
>> After doing the ifup thing, run the following command (as root) and see if
>> it helps.
>>
>> # /etc/init.d/networking restart
>>

> Ok, I can confirm when I boot up and things are working, ifdown eth1
> shuts wireless, ifup1 starts up, and the /etc/init.d/networking
> restart does restart
>
> Ok, more clues. *I say that it "restarts" because the "network
> monitor" popup shows and does the "ding" thing. *But I _think_ in
> fact, the network was killed by trying to restart.
>
> I saved the terminal output and rebooted. *Here's what it said:
>
> Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
> * *SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
> ** Starting portmap daemon...
> ** Already running.
> * ...done.
> ** Starting NFS common utilities
> * ...done.
> root@thinkpad:/home/john# /etc/init.d/networking restart
> ** Reconfiguring network interfaces...
> *Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
> * *SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
> ** Starting portmap daemon...
> ** Already running.
> * ...done.
> ** Starting NFS common utilities
> * ...done.
>
> THEREFORE, one might guess, during reboot it does NOT try to set bit
> rate with the bad argument, but on a CL restart, it does try to set
> bit rate and that's what makes it fail.
>
> If so, which startup file needs the surgery? *Or am I totally on the
> wrong track?
>
> John

Ok, forget about all of that. I can ifdown and ifup and networking
restart and even networking force-reload, and I always get that error
message BUT the network always starts up instantly. I guess the
failure I had above was just a coincidence.

I think it will actually have to wait until it crashes by itself.

John

Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 17 sep 10, 16:30:06, John wrote:

> Hardware: IBM T30 laptop with internal Cisco Airo type of wireless
> card. In other words, support is built into the kernel.

Please post the relevant line from 'lspci'

> So, question 1, what happens during reboot, that doesn't happen during
> ifdown/ ifup

> Or, putting it another way, what can I type from the command line to
> do the same network restart as if I was rebooting.

Remove and reinsert the module. This works for me with iwlagn (on recent
firmware versions the wireless can disconnect under heavy loads, it
works fine otherwise)

Regards,
Andrei

Old 09-18-2010, 07:25 AM
John

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Andrei Popescu
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please post the relevant line from 'lspci'

At the moment, it's still working, but here's the line from lspci:

02:02.0 Network controller: AIRONET Wireless Communications Cisco
Aironet Wireless 802.11b

Old 09-18-2010, 07:40 AM
John

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 3:25 AM, John <nesredep@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Andrei Popescu
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please post the relevant line from 'lspci'
>
> At the moment, it's still working, but here's the line from lspci:
>
> 02:02.0 Network controller: AIRONET Wireless Communications Cisco
> Aironet Wireless 802.11b

Ok, Andrei, I finally get it now. I just removed the module called
airo from the kernel (networking died), and replaced it, and did the
"networking start" thing and, indeed, the networking came back to
life.

If that works when I run into the random network death, I can quickly
revive things. Thanks.

I wonder why the linux driver for one of the oldest standard wifi
cards (Cisco aironet) doesn't work properly, but Windows does. Don't
see that too often.

John

Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Sat September 18 2010, John wrote:
> Ok, Andrei, I finally get it now. *I just removed the module called
> airo from the kernel (networking died), and replaced it, and did the
> "networking start" thing and, indeed, the networking came back to
> life.
I have had a similar problem in the past..
but I'm not aware of how to load/unload these modules. Could you explain
exactly what you did??

> If that works when I run into the random network death, I can quickly
> revive things. *Thanks.

thanks

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM
John

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> wrote:
> On Sat September 18 2010, John wrote:
>> Ok, Andrei, I finally get it now. *I just removed the module called
>> airo from the kernel (networking died), and replaced it, and did the
>> "networking start" thing and, indeed, the networking came back to
>> life.
> I have had a similar problem in the past..
> but I'm not aware of how to load/unload these modules. Could you explain
> exactly what you did??

Sure. I figured out what the module is called by doing:

lsmod

For my wireless card, the module is called "airo"

Remove the module, add the module back, and (re)start the network:

modprobe -r airo
modprobe -a airo
/etc/init.d/networking start

I'm on another machine right now so I'm going by memory; let me know
if that doesn't work.

John

Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sat September 18 2010, John wrote:
> Sure. *I figured out what the module is called by doing:
>
> lsmod
>
> For my wireless card, the module is called "airo"
>
> Remove the module, add the module back, and (re)start the network:
>
> modprobe -r airo
> modprobe -a airo
> /etc/init.d/networking start

that sounds about right, thanks!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

John wrote:

> I wonder why the linux driver for one of the oldest standard wifi
> cards (Cisco aironet) doesn't work properly, but Windows does. Don't
> see that too often.
>
> John

If there is room for experimentation, I'd install a newer kernel and see if
the problem goes away.

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
John

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> I wonder why the linux driver for one of the oldest standard wifi
>> cards (Cisco aironet) doesn't work properly, but Windows does. *Don't
>> see that too often.
>>
>> John
>
> If there is room for experimentation, I'd install a newer kernel and see if
> the problem goes away.

I think I'll pass on that, since Squeeze will come along one of these days.

When I started this thread, my wireless on Linux crashed so often it
was unbearable! After this thread, and people had given me good
ideas, it ran for days! Go figger.

ANYWAY, it finally crashed again. I can now confirm, after a crash I
can fix my wireless networking without a reboot, like this:

root@thinkpad:/home/john# modprobe -r airo
root@thinkpad:/home/john# modprobe -a airo
root@thinkpad:/home/john# /etc/init.d/networking start

My thanks to everybody for the great advice.

John