Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 PM
John

Default wireless quits every few hours

I writing this on Windows XP (yuck) because rebooting my linux system
every few hours is driving me crazy. On Windows, it will run for
days. So I think hardware is probably not the problem.

Hardware: IBM T30 laptop with internal Cisco Airo type of wireless
card. In other words, support is built into the kernel.

O/S is Mepis 8, which is Debian Lenny, more or less. Encryption is WEP

What happens is that wireless will die randomly after a few hours.

Mepis has a nice network wizard, but using it to restart the network
won't fix things. ifdown eth1 followed by ifup eth1 won't fix it
either. I must reboot the machine, but that works every time.

So, question 1, what happens during reboot, that doesn't happen during
ifdown/ ifup

Or, putting it another way, what can I type from the command line to
do the same network restart as if I was rebooting.

If I can get that far, I can start worrying about what is actually
causing the problem, but I would like to be able to restart without
rebooting. Any hints? Thanks.

John

Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

John wrote:

> Or, putting it another way, what can I type from the command line to
> do the same network restart as if I was rebooting.

After doing the ifup thing, run the following command (as root) and see if
it helps.

# /etc/init.d/networking restart

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi