Old 09-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default Printing Long Edge (Standard) with HP DeskJet 990C - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2 does not work

Hi,

Amongst two printers, I've got an Hp Deskjet 990Cxi, and I use
`CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2' as a driver for this printer. I would like to
print both sides, e.g. using long edge mode (standard). The problem is
that this seems not to be communicated to the printer, despite of the
invokated command:

==
lpr -P Deskjet -o Resolution=300dpi -o PageSize=Letter -o
Duplex=DuplexNoTumble
==

where `Deskjet' is the name of the printer for CUPS.

Any idea?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

If you fall off a cliff, you might as well try to fly. After all, you
got nothing to lose.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:20:39 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Amongst two printers, I've got an Hp Deskjet 990Cxi, and I use
> `CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2' as a driver for this printer. I would like to
> print both sides, e.g. using long edge mode (standard). The problem is
> that this seems not to be communicated to the printer, despite of the
> invokated command:
>
> ==
> lpr -P Deskjet -o Resolution=300dpi -o PageSize=Letter -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble
> ==

The command above lacks the file/document to print? :-?

> where `Deskjet' is the name of the printer for CUPS.
>
> Any idea?

You can first check that duplex printing is an available option for your
driver:

***
lpoptions -p printername -l | grep -i duplex
***

If it is listed there and you get no output when calling "lpr", take a
look into CUPS logs (/var/log/cups/*), maybe there is any error there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:20:39 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> Amongst two printers, I've got an Hp Deskjet 990Cxi, and I use
>> `CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2' as a driver for this printer. I would like to
>> print both sides, e.g. using long edge mode (standard). The problem is
>> that this seems not to be communicated to the printer, despite of the
>> invokated command:
>>
>> ==
>> lpr -P Deskjet -o Resolution=300dpi -o PageSize=Letter -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble
>> ==
>>

> The command above lacks the file/document to print? :-?

Well, this is what Adobe indicates me as the sent command. I assume it
appends the name of the stuff to print!
>> where `Deskjet' is the name of the printer for CUPS.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>

> You can first check that duplex printing is an available option for your
> driver:
>
> ***
> lpoptions -p printername -l | grep -i duplex
> ***

==

# lpoptions -p printername -l | grep -i duplex

Duplex/2-Sided Printing: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble
==
> If it is listed there and you get no output when calling "lpr", take a
> look into CUPS logs (/var/log/cups/*), maybe there is any error there
Calling `lpr' gives simply nothing, but a blinking cursor. I checked log
files, but there seems to be nothing indicated, be it in error_log*,
page_log*, access_log*.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

It pays to pay attention.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:43:50 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> The command above lacks the file/document to print? :-?
>>
> Well, this is what Adobe indicates me as the sent command. I assume it
> appends the name of the stuff to print!

Oh, okay, you didn't say you were printing from Acrobat Reader :-)

Can you test double side printing from Evince? Just to discard a problem
with Adobe program.

>>> where `Deskjet' is the name of the printer for CUPS.
>>>
>>> Any idea?
>>>

>> You can first check that duplex printing is an available option for
>> your driver:
>>
>> ***
>> lpoptions -p printername -l | grep -i duplex ***
>>
> ==
>
> # lpoptions -p printername -l | grep -i duplex
>
> Duplex/2-Sided Printing: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble

Rigth.

>> If it is listed there and you get no output when calling "lpr", take a
>> look into CUPS logs (/var/log/cups/*), maybe there is any error there

> Calling `lpr' gives simply nothing, but a blinking cursor. I checked log
> files, but there seems to be nothing indicated, be it in error_log*,
> page_log*, access_log*.

Well, of course, you have to type the whole command:

***
lpr -P Deskjet -o Resolution=300dpi -o PageSize=Letter -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble /path/to/pdffile.pdf
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Gary Roach

I assume that you are using an Xwindows system and have a web browser
installed. Try http://localhost:631/ to pull up the Cups aministration
page. Set your printer defaults there and lp will follow. I find lp too
arcane for my tastes being lazy. At the main page select: Add printer
classes>manage printers>Click on que name for your
printer>Administration>Set default options. I would suggest setting
draft mode and draft resolution as well as long edge. Your lp or lpr
printing will use these defaults. This is much easier that messing
around with the command line and stays set.

Gary R

Archive: 4C94E1B2.7060905@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C94E1B2.7060905@verizon.net

Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Merciadri Luca

Gary Roach wrote:
> I assume that you are using an Xwindows system and have a web browser
> installed. Try http://localhost:631/ to pull up the Cups aministration
> page. Set your printer defaults there and lp will follow. I find lp
> too arcane for my tastes being lazy. At the main page select: Add
> printer classes>manage printers>Click on que name for your
> printer>Administration>Set default options. I would suggest setting
> draft mode and draft resolution as well as long edge. Your lp or lpr
> printing will use these defaults. This is much easier that messing
> around with the command line and stays set.
This is what I had already configured, at the beginning, and it changed
nothing! I never use CLI for printing with CUPS, but the (localhost) web
interface, as you suggest. The aforementioned command was simply Adobe
Acrobat's interpretation of the options I had set when printing a PDF doc.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.