Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Rick Pasotto

Default monitor size not supported?

I just got a new lcd monitor that seems to be working fine but there is
one slight problem.

The monitor is an LG W2040T with 1600x900 resolution so I added
"1600x900" to the Modes line of the Display SubSection. When X starts I
get a message from the monitor that the optimum resolution is 1600x900.
X is setting the screen size to 1280x1024.

This difference results in circular objects being more oval than
circular. I can live with this as I do little graphics work but I'm
wondering if there's something I can change to get my circles to be
circles.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log has the line:

(II) CHROME(0): Not using mode "1600x900" (no mode of this name)

I'm using the openchrome driver since I have a KM400 motherboard which
has the VIA chipset.

Did I get the wrong monitor?

--
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have
imagined." -- Henry David Thoreau

Old 09-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:40:44 -0400 (EDT), Rick Pasotto wrote:

> I just got a new lcd monitor that seems to be working fine but there is
> one slight problem.
>
> The monitor is an LG W2040T with 1600x900 resolution so I added
> "1600x900" to the Modes line of the Display SubSection. When X starts I
> get a message from the monitor that the optimum resolution is 1600x900.
> X is setting the screen size to 1280x1024.
>
> This difference results in circular objects being more oval than
> circular. I can live with this as I do little graphics work but I'm
> wondering if there's something I can change to get my circles to be
> circles.
>
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log has the line:
>
> (II) CHROME(0): Not using mode "1600x900" (no mode of this name)
>
> I'm using the openchrome driver since I have a KM400 motherboard which
> has the VIA chipset.
>
> Did I get the wrong monitor?

Please post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:40:44 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> I just got a new lcd monitor that seems to be working fine but there is
> one slight problem.
>
> The monitor is an LG W2040T with 1600x900 resolution so I added
> "1600x900" to the Modes line of the Display SubSection.

(...)

I would not force Xorg to use a concrete resolution unless you are facing
any problem to get the right settings.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón