Old 09-17-2010, 03:50 PM
kamaraju kusumanchi

Default single tab for completions in bash

say I have two files junk1, junk2.

% ls
junk1 junk2

In zsh, If I do
% ls j<tab>

it becomes

% ls junk

another tab shows the list of completions

% ls junk
junk1 junk2

However in bash, it takes 3 tabs to get the list of completions

junk1 junk2

Is there any option that can be changed in bash, so that I can get the
completions like zsh?

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S. Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-09-17 17:50 +0200, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> say I have two files junk1, junk2.
>
> % ls
> junk1 junk2
>
> In zsh, If I do
> % ls j<tab>
>
> it becomes
>
> % ls junk
>
> another tab shows the list of completions
>
> % ls junk
> junk1 junk2

And further tabs cycle through the list of possible completions.

> However in bash, it takes 3 tabs to get the list of completions

> junk1 junk2
>
> Is there any option that can be changed in bash, so that I can get the
> completions like zsh?

$ echo "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" >> ~/.inputrc

will show the completions immediately, saving a keystroke. However, I
don't know a way how to cycle through the list of completions.

Sven

Old 09-17-2010, 05:24 PM
kamaraju kusumanchi

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-09-17 17:50 +0200, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> say I have two files junk1, junk2.
>>
>> % ls
>> junk1 *junk2
>>
>> In zsh, If I do
>> % ls j<tab>
>>
>> it becomes
>>
>> % ls junk
>>
>> another tab shows the list of completions
>>
>> % ls junk
>> junk1 *junk2
>
> And further tabs cycle through the list of possible completions.

yeah! zsh has quite cool stuff like that.

>> However in bash, it takes 3 tabs to get the list of completions

>> junk1 junk2
>>
>> Is there any option that can be changed in bash, so that I can get the
>> completions like zsh?
>
> $ echo "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" >> ~/.inputrc
>
> will show the completions immediately, saving a keystroke. *However, I
> don't know a way how to cycle through the list of completions.

This is great! Just what I am looking for.

raju