Old 09-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Camaleón

Default RS232-to-USB adapter with dial-up modem

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 10:12:48 -0700, S D wrote:

> --- On Sat, 9/18/10, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Before you throw out your adapater :-), just be sure you cannot even
>> communicate with minicom.
>
> I recalled that there was a way to send a command to the modem without
> minicom, so I tried:
>
> # echo ATDTtest-phone-number-here > /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> The modem does successfully dial the test number when connected through
> the USB adapter. The ATH command (hangup) also appears to be working:
>
> # echo ATH > /dev/ttyUSB0

Well, that's good. But I would be more relaxed if you can also get it to
work with minicom :-)

> Strange, not sure why it doesn't dial out as a part of my pppd setup
> that works with RS-232:

Mmm, I cannot help you here (as I'm not using pppd) but maybe the
initilization string for your modem (ATZW2) is not the correct one. Also,
try to lower the modem speed to 56000 bps (instead those 115200 bps).

Bellow is an excerpt of the log from your first e-mail:

***
Sep 17 02:45:11 testbox chat[32626]: send (ATZW2^M)
Sep 17 02:45:11 testbox chat[32626]: expect (OK)
Sep 17 02:45:56 testbox chat[32626]: alarm
Sep 17 02:45:56 testbox chat[32626]: Failed
Sep 17 02:45:56 testbox pppd[32625]: Connect script failed
Sep 17 02:46:36 testbox pppd[32625]: tcsetattr: Interrupted system call
(line 1010)
***

Is there any way you can use a flag in pppd configuration file to get a
more verbose log? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

S D wrote:

Hi,

I have a RS-232 external dial-up modem that I use from time to time. It works fine when connected through a RS-232 port. I'd like to use the modem with another PC that doesn't have a RS-232 port, so I bought a RS-232 to USB adapter cable. It's a simple inexpensive cable that doesn't seem to have any chips/processors in it.

Now, when I connect the modem through a USB port I can't get the modem to work. It doesn't even attempt to dial the number:

<snip>

Any ideas? Thanks

Have you tried a serial card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166003

Hugo

Archive: i7560t$ph0$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i7560t$ph0$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 AM
S D

--- On Fri, 9/17/10, S D <sundimi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a RS-232 external dial-up modem that I use from time
> to time. It works fine when connected through a RS-232 port.
> I'd like to use the modem with another PC that doesn't have
> a RS-232 port, so I bought a RS-232 to USB adapter cable.
> It's a simple inexpensive cable that doesn't seem to have
> any chips/processors in it.
>
> Now, when I connect the modem through a USB port I can't
> get the modem to work.

In case if anyone is having the same problem: I ended up buying a new adapter based on the Prolific PL-2303HX chip. The vendor advertised that it was compatible with Linux and indeed it is. Worked out of the box.

HTH