Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
"Alois.Mahdal@zxcvb.cz"

Default How can one compare two PDFs?

Dne Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:14:03 +0200 Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> napsal(a):

AFAIK, PDFs cannot be compared directly. Can diff (in Lenny repos)
compare two PDFs? Are there any other solutions?

What about printing both to PostScript and diff-ing the results?

Al.
--
Tato zpráva byla vytvořena převratným poštovn*m klientem Opery:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 AM
T o n g

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:14:03 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> AFAIK, PDFs cannot be compared directly. Can diff (in Lenny repos)
> compare two PDFs? Are there any other solutions?

What do you want to compare? Just the content, or format & layout, etc
included?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Thursday 16 September 2010 23:14:03 Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIK, PDFs cannot be compared directly. Can diff (in Lenny repos)
> compare two PDFs? Are there any other solutions?
>
> Thanks.

aptitude search pdf:
diffpdf
available in squeezeandsid
you may have alook at backport.
Thierry

Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Camalen

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:14:03 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> AFAIK, PDFs cannot be compared directly. Can diff (in Lenny repos)
> compare two PDFs? Are there any other solutions?

I've only seen such advanced options in Adobe Acrobat Professional
products, but "diffpdf" suggested by Thierry is worth a try.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Mike Viau

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:05:40 +0000 <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:14:03 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, PDFs cannot be compared directly. Can diff (in Lenny repos)
> > compare two PDFs? Are there any other solutions?
>
> I've only seen such advanced options in Adobe Acrobat Professional
> products, but "diffpdf" suggested by Thierry is worth a try.

What is the closest GNU/Debian equivalent to Adobe Professional?

I have been enjoying cups PDF printer so soft copies of my document, but never found a good PDF edit in Debian.

My squeeze install uses document viewer with PDFs, which does not allow corrections to be made.

-M

Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Scott Ferguson

wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:14:03 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> > AFAIK, PDFs cannot be compared directly. Can diff (in
Lenny repos)

> > compare two PDFs? Are there any other solutions?

> I've only seen such advanced options in Adobe Acrobat
Professional

> products, but "diffpdf" suggested by Thierry is worth a try.

What is the closest GNU/Debian equivalent to Adobe Professional?

I have been enjoying cups PDF printer so soft copies of my
document, but never found a good PDF edit in Debian.

My squeeze install uses document viewer with PDFs, which does not
allow corrections to be made.

-M

While it's not Adobe Professional I like flpsed - it'll do most of
what you require.

Generally I find it easier to just do everything as a document and
export the pdf. Foomatic-rip is useful too.

Cheers

Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Mike Viau

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 23:07:52 +1000 <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While it's not Adobe Professional I like flpsed - it'll do most of
what you require.

> Generally I find it easier to just do everything as a document and
export the pdf. Foomatic-rip is useful too.

> Cheers

Thanks for the find! Make more sense that way

-M

Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Camalen

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:54:52 -0400, Mike Viau wrote:

>> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:05:40 +0000 wrote:

>> I've only seen such advanced options in Adobe Acrobat Professional
>> products, but "diffpdf" suggested by Thierry is worth a try.
>>

> What is the closest GNU/Debian equivalent to Adobe Professional?

I know of none that matches 100% Acrobat's functionalities :-/

But there are some tools that allow PDF manipulation/editing and add nice
capabilities, like "pdftk":

http://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/

There are another corporate (and paid) solutions such Cabaret:

http://www.cabaret-solutions.com/en/product/cabaret-stage

> I have been enjoying cups PDF printer so soft copies of my document, but
> never found a good PDF edit in Debian.

Not only in Debian but in the whole of the Linux ecosystem, I'm afraid.

> My squeeze install uses document viewer with PDFs, which does not allow
> corrections to be made.

A good PDF editor in linux is still a "To-Do" task :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Merciadri Luca

Alois.Mahdal@zxcvb.cz wrote:
> Dne Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:14:03 +0200 Merciadri Luca
> <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> napsal(a):
>> AFAIK, PDFs cannot be compared directly. Can diff (in Lenny repos)
>> compare two PDFs? Are there any other solutions?
>
> What about printing both to PostScript and diff-ing the results?
Why not. That might be a nice solution.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Never stand begging for that which you have the power to earn. (Miguel
de Cervantes)

Old 09-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Merciadri Luca

T o n g wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:14:03 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> AFAIK, PDFs cannot be compared directly. Can diff (in Lenny repos)
>> compare two PDFs? Are there any other solutions?
>>

> What do you want to compare? Just the content, or format & layout, etc
> included?
Just the content (the text one).

--
Merciadri Luca