Old 09-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Camaleón

Default Flash player plugin (64 bits) comes back!

Hello,

JFYI, Adobe released a "preview" of the Flash player plugin for 64 bits
systems:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Now let's see how long it takes to put the "vulnerable" flag on it again
>:-)

Well, it's better than nothing...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 AM
T o n g

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:25:44 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> JFYI, Adobe released a "preview" of the Flash player plugin for 64 bits
> systems:

Thanks for the heads up, was waiting for it to happen for a while.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 AM
John W Foster

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 18:25 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Hello,
>
> JFYI, Adobe released a "preview" of the Flash player plugin for 64 bits
> systems:
>
> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/
>
> Now let's see how long it takes to put the "vulnerable" flag on it again
> >:-)
>
> Well, it's better than nothing...
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
------------------------------
As an added bit of info: the new 64 bit Adobe 'square' flash player is
installed on my AMD -64 system & works GREAT. I don't know about
vulnerabilities, as I suspect 'any' flash related content is a wide open
door anyway. Also another bit of info for those of you who have been
having trouble with Iceweasel...I also installed the .deb version of the
new 'beta' of firefox 4.0xx which was just released, along with the new
flash player & they work well together. I also installed the new Google
Chrome 64bit browser with this same flash player & The results: they are
'smokin hot' & no issues with quality of rendering. Here is the
clincher..I have compared the output of streaming 1080p video on this
same machine running mixed squeeze/sid to the same box running windows
7 pro. the video quality seems to be exactly the same. I can not tell
any difference in video quality & believe me there was a serious
difference before. Lets chalk up a win for linux with this. I will go so
far as to say that the Google Chrome browser is way faster than IE 8
running in 64 bit mode & seems every bit as stable. I await the bench
test results of those with a more scientific approach, but for me, I can
now play my games, & watch streaming video from HULU & Fancast. netflix
still does not recognize Linux as a valid OS so I have to use Windows 7
for that. I can provide my installation tips for any that want them.
John

Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Angus Hedger

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:25:44 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> JFYI, Adobe released a "preview" of the Flash player plugin for 64
> bits systems:
>
> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/
>
> Now let's see how long it takes to put the "vulnerable" flag on it
> again
> >:-)
>
> Well, it's better than nothing...
>
> Greetings,

At least this new x64 flashplugin is more stable than the 32bit one
under nsplugins, thats all I ask of the stupid thing.

Works fine with chrome v7-dev/ff3.6.9 both x64, still pegs a core or so
playing videos, sigh!

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 23:33, John W Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the clincher..I have compared the output of streaming 1080p video on
> this same machine running mixed squeeze/sid *to the same box running
> windows 7 pro. the video quality seems to be exactly the same. I can not tell
> any difference in video quality & believe me there was a serious difference
> before.

Huh? I admit I don't usually use 1080, but I never noticed any difference at
720 with old 64-bit Flash

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 11:27 +0100, Angus Hedger wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:25:44 +0000 (UTC)
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > JFYI, Adobe released a "preview" of the Flash player plugin for 64
> > bits systems:
> >
> > http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

<snip>

> At least this new x64 flashplugin is more stable than the 32bit one
> under nsplugins, thats all I ask of the stupid thing.
>
> Works fine with chrome v7-dev/ff3.6.9 both x64, still pegs a core or so
> playing videos, sigh!
Any idea when it will make it into the multimedia repository? - John

Old 09-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Angus Hedger

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:24:53 -0400
"John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
<snippy>
> Any idea when it will make it into the multimedia repository? - John

I dont know, they are normally pretty quick, but if you cant wait,
purge any other flash plugins, and download the .so and drop it into
"/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" and it should be picked up by pretty much
everything!
------

Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Mike Viau

> On Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:15:27 +0100 <demidevil@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I dont know, they are normally pretty quick, but if you cant wait,
> purge any other flash plugins, and download the .so and drop it into
> "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" and it should be picked up by pretty much
> everything!

+1

And the .so file for preview 64-bit adobe flash can be found inside the tarball for Linux.

-M

Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Nuno Magalhăes

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 16:06, Mike Viau <viaum@sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:
>> On Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:15:27 +0100 <demidevil@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I dont know, they are normally pretty quick, but if you cant wait,
>> purge any other flash plugins, and download the .so and drop it into
>> "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" and it should be picked up by pretty much
>> everything!
>

> +1
++

Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Mark Allums

On Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:15:27 +0100<demidevil@gmail.com> wrote:

I dont know, they are normally pretty quick, but if you cant wait,
purge any other flash plugins, and download the .so and drop it into
"/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" and it should be picked up by pretty much
everything!

Yes, the 64-bit shared lib, code-named "square" is pretty much a true
drop-in replacement for the 32-bit version.

Works for me.

+1