Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM
"Jennie Kingsland"

Default FW: SILO

Hi,

*

have copied the Debian 5.0.6 ISO and began installing this to a SPARC V240
server.

*

However
almost at the end of the install and an error occurs ‘The Silo package failed
to install into /target, installing SILO as a boot loader is a required
step’

*

have searched forums with a resolution to this error, without joy.

*

Forums
suggest that the first partition must be an ext2 or ext3 and it should be
mounted as /boot.

*

The
partitioned disks on the server currently look like this;

*

98.7MB F EXT3 /BOOT

34.7GB F EXT3 /

1.6GB F SWAP SWAP

*

Can
you suggest how to resolve this issue? Is it something with my partitioned
disks that needs to be changed?

*

Thank
you

*

This email and any attached files transmitted are confidential and intended solely
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you received this email in error
you may not take action based on its contents, nor should you copy, print or show
this to anyone; instead please reply to the sender and highlight the error, then
delete the message from your system.

Please note that the content of e-mail sent and received may have to be disclosed
by the Council in response to a request for access to information.

Sunderland is aiming to become the most liveable city in the UK.
Visit www.Sunderland.gov.uk for Council services and information.
Business investors can access www.Investinsunderland.co.uk
Visitors to the City should log onto www.Visitsunderland.com

Old 09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
"Jess M. Navarro"

Hi, Jennie:

On Thursday 16 September 2010 16:09:09 Jennie Kingsland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have copied the Debian 5.0.6 ISO and began installing this to a SPARC
> V240 server.
>
> However almost at the end of the install and an error occurs 'The Silo
> package failed to install into /target, installing SILO as a boot loader
> is a required step'
>
> Forums suggest that the first partition must be an ext2 or ext3 and it
> should be mounted as /boot.
>
> The partitioned disks on the server currently look like this;
>
> #1 98.7MB F EXT3 /BOOT
> #2 34.7GB F EXT3 /
> #4 1.6GB F SWAP SWAP
>
> Can you suggest how to resolve this issue? Is it something with my
> partitioned disks that needs to be changed?

Three hints:
1) Re-check the MD5 sum of your downloaded CD (there may be some error
affecting that package).
2) Check caps: your boot partition's mount point should be '/boot' instead
of '/BOOT'.
3) Make sure there's no BIOS/EFI param making your first disk's boot
sector 'read only'.

Cheers.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 04:45:09PM +0200, Jess M. Navarro wrote:
> 3) Make sure there's no BIOS/EFI param making your first disk's boot
> sector 'read only'.

It would be OpenBoot on a Sun V240, but the advice probably still applies.